The one and only thing I need from Astroneer (that I don't already have)

Ok, I really, really, love Astroneer. This game scratches nearly every itch I have in gaming. It's diverse, open, easy to play in short spurts or in long sessions. The art is charmingly simple yet also breathtakingly beautiful. The game mechanics are great and maturing rapidly. I enjoy watching it develop and the dev group is great - transparent and approachable.  

However, there's one thing that I'm starving for in this game. I know you've heard this a hundred times, and I'm sure you are already working on it, but please keep reading and let me make my case for what I need and what I think others want, in hopes that it will guide your development.

The game needs a past - a sense of the undiscovered, or rediscovered. It's in the game already, but it's starving for more. I can't forget the first time I discovered a deep green cave - a foggy, mysterious place, inhabited by a  zebra ball, two dead astroneers, and three satellite objects that were inexplicably underground. I was stunned. The game immediately ratcheted up in excitement and intensity. What wonders or horrors lurked in this cyclopean underworld? 

The first time I found one of those long, spiraling, green, dead end tunnels, there was a sense of excitement - "How deep does this go... do I have enough oxygen?" I found a resource chest at the bottom, and I was sure it was going to yield some great reward. It gave me one compound... but there was still that spark.

The wrecks, at least the first few, did this for me as well.

However, the game has precious few of these little mysteries. I recently re-read "At the Mountains of Madness" and I was thrilled again at the thought of discovering some ancient ruin of a far advanced civilization. Robert Howard's Kull the Conqueror and Solomon Kane also feature encounters with long-forgotten ruins, both advanced and primitive, and not all unoccupied. Part of the reason I love the Lord of the Rings is because it's steeped in fallen ruins and hints of past eons. Blade Runner 2049 revels in the ruins of our modern cities. 

I remember playing the original Far Cry back in 2004. I explored every nook and cranny of that game, and I clearly remember the excitement of finding a downed WWII era Japanese warplane rusting in the jungle. There wasn't anything to it, it was just there, off the beaten path where players really weren't expected to go. 

In the hype for the anniversary update, I saw a dev post a picture of the sphinx. The game is begging for this. It needs the roots of a forgotten past. They don't even need explanation - we can make that up for ourselves. I like crafting and building, but most of all I like exploring and being rewarded for it, and I'll put up with a lot of bugs and broken mechanics if I just have this. 

I hope you are all nodding your heads and thinking, "Yes, we have already begun planning this." Thanks for everything! 

-Tom
(Janos on Discord)

Oh, indeed, I am nodding my head! That's definitively the most missing piece of this game. Well, yes, I do understand the dev's that they first needed to get the whole system running (for us it looks all a bit slowly) but I know that they invested a lot of effort and time to tune the performance, remove the bugs, and prepare a more modular backend which allows for easy content extensions ("easy" <- easier, better, more flexible :) ). 

But the story is missing! And I very like your focus on the past. That's why I love stargate. It is this "well, I know this thing, but that's an amazing new and creative point of view or perspective". I would love to see this, and I guess that (more important for SES than for me) that's what keeps the community going! So ... do it ;) Thanks for your post @Tom Pro Tem! Inspiring!

Edited by reto

Yes, I'm not too sure how some kind of backstory would fit with what the devs have in mind but that's something I'd like to see too. At a most basic level, that could be journal entries found on dead astroneers. Find more dead astroneers and you discover the backstory piece by piece.

18 hours ago, Eoghan said:

Yes, I'm not too sure how some kind of backstory would fit with what the devs have in mind but that's something I'd like to see too. At a most basic level, that could be journal entries found on dead astroneers. Find more dead astroneers and you discover the backstory piece by piece.

That would be really interesting. I love this idea ?

On 02/01/2018 at 7:03 PM, Tom Pro Tem said:

Ok, I really, really, love Astroneer. This game scratches nearly every itch I have in gaming. It's diverse, open, easy to play in short spurts or in long sessions. The art is charmingly simple yet also breathtakingly beautiful. The game mechanics are great and maturing rapidly. I enjoy watching it develop and the dev group is great - transparent and approachable.  

However, there's one thing that I'm starving for in this game. I know you've heard this a hundred times, and I'm sure you are already working on it, but please keep reading and let me make my case for what I need and what I think others want, in hopes that it will guide your development.

The game needs a past - a sense of the undiscovered, or rediscovered. It's in the game already, but it's starving for more. I can't forget the first time I discovered a deep green cave - a foggy, mysterious place, inhabited by a  zebra ball, two dead astroneers, and three satellite objects that were inexplicably underground. I was stunned. The game immediately ratcheted up in excitement and intensity. What wonders or horrors lurked in this cyclopean underworld? 

The first time I found one of those long, spiraling, green, dead end tunnels, there was a sense of excitement - "How deep does this go... do I have enough oxygen?" I found a resource chest at the bottom, and I was sure it was going to yield some great reward. It gave me one compound... but there was still that spark.

The wrecks, at least the first few, did this for me as well.

However, the game has precious few of these little mysteries. I recently re-read "At the Mountains of Madness" and I was thrilled again at the thought of discovering some ancient ruin of a far advanced civilization. Robert Howard's Kull the Conqueror and Solomon Kane also feature encounters with long-forgotten ruins, both advanced and primitive, and not all unoccupied. Part of the reason I love the Lord of the Rings is because it's steeped in fallen ruins and hints of past eons. Blade Runner 2049 revels in the ruins of our modern cities. 

I remember playing the original Far Cry back in 2004. I explored every nook and cranny of that game, and I clearly remember the excitement of finding a downed WWII era Japanese warplane rusting in the jungle. There wasn't anything to it, it was just there, off the beaten path where players really weren't expected to go. 

In the hype for the anniversary update, I saw a dev post a picture of the sphinx. The game is begging for this. It needs the roots of a forgotten past. They don't even need explanation - we can make that up for ourselves. I like crafting and building, but most of all I like exploring and being rewarded for it, and I'll put up with a lot of bugs and broken mechanics if I just have this. 

I hope you are all nodding your heads and thinking, "Yes, we have already begun planning this." Thanks for everything! 

-Tom
(Janos on Discord)

examples could include something like dormant computer systems with corrupted information that could give access to unique items that you can't research with 'unknown items'.

great idea but it should be an optional when you start a new world as i have had experience with a bad pc that could only just run it and wouldn't be able to cope with structures like piramids or sphinxes 

• 2 weeks later...