Simple ideas for major improvement

JazzyJeff

I understand many of the these things im listing will take alot of time to integrate but they are key to a much better game ! Some items are vague

1. Much larger variety of items/resources (buildable items or only found in specific environments/planets). Added rarity system. Adding this will give players much more things to do/ motivation to explore. This will fix the point in which the player has researched everything and has nothing else to do.

2. NPCs and animals will add a much needed dynamic. Have the choice to befriend and trade with alien inhabitants, or fight them and also get some sort of reward/plundering. Combat mechanics added (weopens being a new category of items to find or build). Friendly and hostile animals

3. New hazards such as temperature changes, meteor shower, radiation. Hunger levels (start the game with a small supply of food from the habitat). Poisening (caused by animals or the environment, such as plants. Items to cure it). Space madness(sanity levels increase a small amount by building items, or larger increase with the use of items with durability/or limited uses(astrocube-rubiks cube type item, or astrobooks).

4. Ability to farm food or collect from environment(buildable foods). Food that sits too long can go bad and is a hazard if eaten(addition of poisonous foods).

5. Addition of liquids, bodys of water

updated list :)

I understand many of the these things im listing will take alot of time to integrate but they are key to a much better game ! Some items are vague

1. Much larger variety of items/resources (buildable items or only found in specific environments/planets). Added rarity system. Adding this will give players much more things to do/ motivation to explore. This will fix the point in which the player has researched everything and has nothing else to do. Rare possibility to find loot chests (different rarity levels of chests filled with randomized items with rarity levels that correspond)

2. NPCs and animals will add a much needed dynamic. Have the choice to befriend and trade with alien inhabitants, or fight them and also get some sort of reward/plundering. Combat mechanics added (weopens being a new category of items to find or build). Friendly and hostile animals (training certain friendly animals could have a reward)

3. New hazards such as temperature changes, meteor shower, radiation. Hunger levels (start the game with a small supply of food from the habitat). Poisening (caused by animals or the environment, such as plants. Items to cure it). Space madness(sanity levels increase a small amount by building items, or larger increase with the use of items with durability/or limited uses(astrocube-rubiks cube type item, or astrobooks).

4. Ability to farm food or collect from environment(buildable foods). Food that sits too long can go bad and is a hazard if eaten(addition of poisonous foods).

5. Addition of liquids, bodys of water

6. New ways to store items (buildable large item storage in which items are stowed away and out of sight).

7. Addition of customizable outfits/space suits (levels of rarity, some suits have effects, most can be built, very rare ones must be found in loot chest or in environment).

8. Dynamic skill point system

Updated list #3 :)

1. Much larger variety of items/resources (buildable items or only found in specific environments/planets). Added rarity system. Adding this will give players much more things to do/ motivation to explore. This will fix the point in which the player has researched everything and has nothing else to do. Rare possibility to find loot chests (different rarity levels of chests filled with randomized items with rarity levels that correspond). Items dropped by animals and NPCs after killed. Very rare items dropped by bosses

2. NPCs, animals, and bosses will add a much needed dynamic. Have the choice to befriend and trade with alien inhabitants, or fight them and also get some sort of reward/plundering. Combat mechanics added (weopens being a new category of items to find or build). Friendly and hostile animals (training certain friendly animals could have a reward). Alongside dropping rare items, alien bosses also drop items that can only be obtained by defeating them(some bosses can only be fought during events).

3. New hazards such as temperature changes, meteor shower, radiation. Hunger levels (start the game with a small supply of food from the habitat). Poisening (caused by animals or the environment, such as plants. Items to cure it). Space madness(sanity levels increase a small amount by building items, or larger increase with the use of items with durability/or limited uses such as astrocubes-rubiks cube type item, or astrobooks).

5. New biomes, addition of liquids, bodys of water (new vehicles to explore large bodys of water)

6. New ways to store items (buildable large item storage in which items are stowed away and out of sight).

7. Addition of customizable outfits/space suits (levels of rarity, some suits have effects, most can be built, very rare ones must be found in loot chest or in environment).

9. Rare events

Sorry for the length, thanks for considering my ideas :):)

Edited by JazzyJeff

Hey @JazzyJeff, good ideas. Don't feel offended by my answer, this has to be seen as a hint! Much of what you suggested is already on the roadmap (https://trello.com/b/UoZgKrd3/astroneer-development-roadmap) and will added to the game within the next months on the "monthly content updates" promised by the SES :).

1. Much larger variety of items/resources

"Crafting and resource matrix": based on some user questions the ses team talked about this in a stream or vlog somewhen end of last year. After the "resource matrix". With terrain 2.0 there should be more planet-distinct resources and the "resource matrix" should allow to create/craft higher-level resources (e.g., combine two basic resources to get one nugget of a higher and more complex resource required to build/do some stuff).

2. NPCs, animals, and bosses will add a much needed dynamic. 

Has been talked a lot about, so I wont do that here. But what you should not expect is a combat system and/or weapons, the devs clearly stated that this will never happen. But there might be animals/creatures moving around you might have to kind of keep away from your base ... maybe. Bosses, or let's say other NPC's to trade with or talk to sounds like the game story line, can't see anything on the roadmap.

3. New hazards such as temperature changes, meteor shower, radiation. Hunger levels (start the game with a small supply of food from the habitat).

Most players are not happy with the hazards, but that's something they are currently working on. Roadmap says "complex hazards" will come Q1 2018, so stay tuned! :)

Also a topic which has been discussed often, can't see any hints on the roadmap. Food would be one extra survival aspect and either pretty cool or too much of a micro-management-thing players would dislike. I think that there is no priority on that at the moment (?).

5. New biomes, addition of liquids, bodys of water (new vehicles to explore large bodys of water)

Water was often suggested and if you watch the terrain 2.0 vlog you'll see that the devs are aware of it. For me it is a bit hard to imagine how it will look like (dig a hole into a lake with caves below: does the water then run into the caves? :) ). I am really looking forward to see if/how/when this will be implemented! Nothing explicit on the roadmap, but maybe comes along with the terrain 2.0? What will definitively come soon or at least with the terrain update are different and more specific biomes (see latest vlog).

That's also something a lot of players requested in the forum. And I am quite sure that this will be added in the near future in one of the content updates as it will be of high importance for the automation system planned for the second half of this year.

7. Addition of customizable outfits/space suits

Roadmap "player customization system" for Q2 2018. I think you have seen these suite drafts. There have been a lot of user inputs and the devs vaguely talked about it in a stream.

See (7)

9. Rare events

If you thought about rare hazards: stay tuned for the "complex hazards" events and "weather systems".

So, all I have to say is stay tuned and all best from over here!
R

Well, the development team is looking at a lot of very interesting new things for this game. I hope they keep reading this forum for feedback.

What I really want is a unified purpose for all of the exploring and building. Yes, we can provide our own goals, which I have done.

For example, having a functioning base on every planet, and moon in the solar system. I have done that. But then what?

Start a new game and do it all again...over and over...not so rewarding, in my opinion. We need a developing and expanding set of goals to reach.

I am not exactly advocating for a 'questing' system, but something akin to it.  Specific missions leading to larger missions, etc. A dynamic system.

Mysteries to solve, leading to larger mysteries, leading to...an ultimate goal? Or various goals of choice for the player?

I have to believe that something like that is in the works, as new content and new abilities are added to the game.

So...keep on keeping on, development team. I thank you very sincerely for your dedication and efforts.

I fully agree with what you say! The game needs some goals. I've just not researched everything with the new research system and now ... now ... :). My response above was just to kind of sum up the earlier discussion linking it to the roadmap. I've noticed that a lot of new players come here (which is great) discussing a lot of things which have been discussed over and over again. That shows that there are problems (and yes, SES is reading it, for sure what we can see from the vlogs and that stuff) and some awesome ideas come up from users thinking "around the corner". Stupid example: if they know that there will be no weapons due to the core decisions of the devs team they might come up with an awesome idea of hearding, hazards, or other fantastic things. That's why I tried to link/respond to that :).

But yes, bring us some goals and challenges if not bosses. A story. A reason, something cool! :)

Well said, both Orbitor777 and reto. Its important to have more content in the game to dicover, and explore. Otherwise you get to a point where you as the player have researched all the items and have nothing else interesting to find/do. The items in my list would advance the survival aspect of the game by far, create excitement due to randomization (rare events/rarity system, randomized space loot), and most importantly add many goals (bosses and a plethora of items to obtain/collect). In my opinion, its a mistake for the development team to shoot down the idea of a combat mechanic so early. I think the devs are afraid of destroying the wonky/playful/colorful atmosphere of the game, but I believe a combat mechanic made correctly could easily compliment this style. I just think they should at least consider it, it could add so much to an already amazing game. This is not mentioned in my list, but I think the possibilities of creativity are endless when it comes to the future of astroneer, and it's important for devs to capitalize on that. Development of base building/new mechanics and features added to terrain formation, (possibility to build structures) adds so much freedom to the game. Which would mean more work for the developer that adds code to make the game run smoothly and seemlessly xD

I cant wait to see whats in store for astroneer, and much appreciation to the devs and the people that contribute to conversations that generate beautiful new ideas ! :)

In writing a story: every story needs conflict, and this game needs some sort of conflict to keep players engaged.

I also hit end game and was wondering what to do after 30 hours of playing. Which is the case in sandbox games, but for me certain elements can add to this end game wall to give the game lots of longevity. I ended up starting a game over to experience more challenge.

I think many of the suggestions here, even though made before, are still great to compile.

I know challenges exist, and can be found with a good search like this one:

https://forum.systemera.net/search/?&q=challenge&type=forums_topic&nodes=4&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

I'm not sure about the combat mechanic, for if the devs aren't careful they can just start going down the same road Space Engineers and Empryion is going down.

I do think rare minerals and the planets Arid and Radiated should be more dangerous outside a protected base than they are. It should be the equivalent of going to null space in Eve Online to gather rares: that there is high risk, but large rewards. When I first read of "worms on the surface of Radiated" I initially though of Dune like sandworms, but radioactive and emitting dangerous levels of radiation. If not weapons that kill, perhaps shielding and objects that discourage them from entering areas would be very nice.

Even though it is tough to mine in null sec in Eve Online, there are plenty of ways of making it safe, so those should also be in game I believe. Just that most of that tech should require the rares mined at those dangerous planets, or bought for many of non-rares through trading.