if somebody is wearing a space helmet then logically they would be immune to the poison gas

so remove the death from poison gas or at least make an item that would make you immune to the poison gas

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's acid.

New project for you Wyvy:  make a top 5 list of your most repeated answers xD

Since when could acid NOT become gaseous?  Absolutely every know substance has points where it becomes solid, liquid, and gas.  Physics.

And the gas is likely eating through the weaker seals and connections around your helmet.

the only acidic gases can already be avoided and the helmet is completely sealed and there is one connection and that's the oxygen tank which is not effected by gases

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/12/2017 at 5:04 AM, Isaac P said:

so remove the death from poison gas or at least make an item that would make you immune to the poison gas

Try out the air filter. It's what it's for (single use, but it still works).

Lesse, what's a good list here... Vaporized hydrochloric acid,  that's a bad one. Aqua Regia, concentrated Chlorine gas... heck that second one can eat gold, platinum, tin, and some other metals and the third one is used as the breath weapon of Green Dragons in D&D because it's vicious.

I feel like this isn't such a big problem in the game that it should be removed.  After all it is a place of imagination and full realism is not the goal.  Also its a survival game of sorts and as survival games go there there are only a few ways to actually die:

1. Getting hit by debris in a storm

2. suffocating

3. falling

4. getting stung

5. acid cloud. 

I learned pretty quickly which objects I shouldn't try to hug and which objects wanted to kill me.  thankfully its not Ark or 7 days to die where everything tries to kill you. 

there are only a few ways to actually die:

1. Getting hit by debris in a storm

2. suffocating

3. falling

4. getting stung

5. acid cloud. 

6. Getting caught, lifted and devoured by the "underground hanging things with a flashing red light on their tail" (don't know the name of these)

6. Getting caught, lifted and devoured by the "underground hanging things with a flashing red light on their tail" (don't know the name of these)

These guys...

20180207150400_1.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Isaac P said:

But are the acids you are talking about real ?

Sorry I meant naturally occurring 

With the exception of Aqua Regia, to my knowledge at least, yes. 

Hell a lot of animals, including you, make Hydrochloric right in your gut as your stomach acid.

wait how would acid become gaseous and why would my helmet be susceptible to acid in a gaseous form in the 25th century?! 

If you run past it, it turns and follows you, dissipating slowly over time.

I've imagined the threat is some sort of acidic spore cloud, or swarm of tiny poisonous short-lived gnats.   I figured its a natural defense mechanism against predators, but also part of the flora's reproductive cycle.

whilst i have no problem with fauna in the caves emitting acidic gas, and whilst i have been known to argue on this very forum that Astroneer is more about imagination than realism, i feel i have to comment that once the acid eats into your suit seals, then you're pretty much dead. if you are taking damage from the acid (red vignette) then the seals on your suit have been compromised and you are not going to just 'get better' from that. turning around and walking away wont work, because your suit is no longer a sealed unit.

unless this: after your initial contact with a green cloud gives you the red vignette damage effect, you start using up oxygen at a faster rate. this would only be noticeable if you are away from your tethers or base. perhaps a warning light can come on on your oxygen tank(s). replace the 'air filters' item with 'suit patches', which you use to repair this damage, and you're good to go. just putting the item in your backpack activates it, maybe it contains several patches, and only vanishes once they are all used up.

and suddenly i find i'm writing a post that actively advocates a damage system. oh hell, i said i'd never do that. but arguably, if you could have a suit that 'fails' in different ways according to different damages, and the feedback was all managed on the body with warning lights, and that the damaged stuff is never wrecked but only impaired (anything gets destroyed on your suit, your Astroneer is dead), then it could arguably enhance the game. particularly if it can all be fixed with 'suit patches'.

also, remember that stuff in a dead astroneer's backpack would probably need patching before it would work properly.