Eoghan

Sediment vs. Canisters

A post in this section made me think. Why do we need canisters to store sediment? I understand the need for storing (liquid) hydrazine but why sediment?

Why not having sediment nuggets/stacks like we have for energy and oxygen?

Why not use sediment nuggets directly off the backpack to level/add terrain? The same way we use energy or oxygen nuggets to replenish the backpack battery and oxygen tank.

Planets are pretty much huge balls of sediment with a thin sprinkling of resources here and there. Why use canisters to artificially restrict sediment collection when it is, by far, the most abundant resource on any planet?

What gameplay do canisters add to the mineral extractor? Put canisters in, the extractor sucks sediment in, take empties out, repeat. Is juggling canisters in and out interesting gameplay?

What do you think?

Thanks to @loss182 for the idea of sediment nuggets.

Just want to point out, Oxygen (a gas) comes in nuggets, where as dirt (a solid) needs a container. Isn't that weird?

Containers serve 2 purposes
1: they ensure you always have space for some dirt, by "reserving" the slot.
2: they limit the amount of dirt you take in, so you don't end up needing to constantly empty your inventory when you're trying to mine resources.

My proposal would instead just let us shift+click the mineral extractor (or other machines) and have it swap the canisters automaticly

Good point re O2 being a gas and not needing a canister to be stored. Also a good point that we can use canisters to reserve slots for sediment and not have sediment fill slots we intend for other resources. It's the canister-mineral extractor loop that bugs me the most but that would be a tricky one to solve.

Let's suppose I come back with 8 filled canisters, I want to use 4 to make resin and the remaining 4 to make compound. I would have to remove 4 canisters from my backpack, auto-swap the remaining 4, convert to resin, load the remaining canisters and then convert to sediment. Auto-swap works if you want to use all your sediment to create a single type of resource. If not, we're back to juggling canisters.

First-world (first-planet?) problems I know, some Astroneers land on planets with views nowhere as nice as what we have.  ;)

You can fill it up to the top as it will only use up to the green line for on cycle.  Since resin and compound use the same amount all you need to do is change them out.

The canisters also work as a balancing system because sediment is so abundant normally it adds a bit of a hassle and cost to use other wise it would be to op (also this is video game it doesn’t have to make sense)

I think that sediment canisters should be like a upgrade. You harvest sediment in the nugget form, but if you have a empty canister, it can store up to 4 sediments nuggets inside, like a "Condensed Soil Canister". It won't change the way we use it, it will just make more sense.

And I never thought of the O2 that doesn't need a canister, if you need a canister to harvest O2 after your oxygen supply is complete would add a little bit more difficult to the early game but i think it would be fun :)