miyconst

Make mushroom seeds useful: researchable, treat as organic, produce energy

There is a certain type of mushroom in the game which produces two seeds when it dies. Currently the seeds can be used to grow even more mushrooms, which is useless. My suggestions/ideas are:

1. Make the seeds be researchable, it will bring motivation to grow the plants and consume the seeds for researching the bytes.

Spoiler

20171226172953_1.jpg

2. Treat the seeds as an organic item. The small energy generator, which consumes organic, should be able to consume a seed as well. Another reason to grow the mushrooms.

Spoiler

20171226173017_1.jpg

3. Fully grown mushrooms should produce energy spots around them. Collecting the energy will be another motivation for the farming.

Spoiler

20171226172257_1.jpg

4. Allow to trade the seeds using the trade platform. Another trading resource is always valuable, especially when the trade platform will be nerfed.

Spoiler

20171226173240_1.jpg

P.S. I have searched entire forum with Google, but could not find this ideas anywhere. Also I have read the pinned posts, and I hope my input is valuable.

They removed the infinitely regenerating power (and oxygen) plinths in the wake of the "Excavation update". Apparently, the developers do not want an essentially unlimited supply of energy from a single location in the game. So I doubt that they favor the use of seeds as an organic power source for the generator or the production of energy spots around mushrooms growing from the seeds.

Similarly, they removed the option to trade hydrazine because this enabled you to basically obtain any resource by producing hydrazine from power with the fuel condenser. So I also doubt that they would basically undo that nerf by allowing the trading of seeds.

I do like the idea of seeds being usable with the research chamber and yielding a small amount of bytes, e.g. 5 or 10 bytes. It would not be really worth doing for obtaining significant amounts of research, because it would require a lot of harvesting and replanting for only little gain. But it would offer those players who enjoy it the ability to farm in Astroneer.

Love researching seeds, even if they gave a small amount of bytes it'd be awesome to be able to farm research. Also love the idea of burning seeds like organic. From what I've seen organic crap already slowly spreads, so this shouldn't break anything. Even half the power of a stack of organic would be nice. Mushrooms producing energy spots seems too cheaty, it'd be a no-effort way to keep getting energy. Trading the seeds, even at half the value of compound, would be useful.

I believe that the "free energy" and the "infinite trade" issues have to be solved by reducing the amount of energy spots produced by the mushrooms and lowering the seed price. Not by removing the features from the game. 

Same applies to the hydrazine trade, I would not remove the feature but rather fix the trading platform. For example every buy increases the value of a resource, every sell decreases the value of a resource. In this case selling hydrazine will be useless at some point.

Regarding the trade platform, I believe that it should accept a "small storage" filled up with any resources, including seeds, this will make seeds research easier.

Anyway, those are just my suggestions, and if community supports the idea of having useful seeds, the developers may listen to us :) 

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, miyconst said:

Currently the seeds can be used to grow even more mushrooms, which is useless.

You are correct... currently.  Ever since the day they introduced the seeds, we have suspected that they will be used for defense against dangerous creatures that will be added later.  For example, you would harvest and then plant the seeds to form a perimeter around your base. 

Just now, Pi_ said:

You are correct... currently.  Ever since the day they introduced the seeds, we have suspected that they will be used for defense against dangerous creatures that will be added later.  For example, you would harvest and then plant the seeds to form a perimeter around your base. 

Yeah.. That might be awesome like monsters attacking your base but i'm afraid it will make the game harder

On 12/30/2017 at 12:43 AM, miyconst said:

the "free energy" and the "infinite trade" issues have to be solved by reducing the amount of energy spots produced by the mushrooms 

I still believe they can do with providing the Mushrooms which generate power spots around them.

Else Mushroom has ZERO purpose in the game.