BeknBee

Multiplayer - Failed to Connect to Host

Hello! I've been having this issue since last year with Astroneer's multiplayer function when it comes to either hosting, or joining just a single friend on my friend's list. I viewed this topic to try to find a solution.

I made sure my firewall had access (public and private), I removed and readded my friend, none of us own an anti-virus, and we're joining each other both directly through steam on PC. This is not the first time I've had this issue, as I've tried it with another friend before and it's consistent. We both have updated copies of the game.

Usually, it allows us to join each other once in a fresh world, but if the host disconnects and we decide we want to play another day, neither of us can connect. I've also tried flushing my ip. It seems like it's allowing him to join the game as I see his friend icon appear in the sky, but then stalls on the loading screen and then proceeds to kick him to the main menu. From there, an "X" appears in the sky where my friend once was. Is there any current known fixes to this that may allow me to host him again on a world I already started?

Hmm, this used to be a bug that has been fixed, though.

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Astro
...go there and remove all it's contents. It may be a config or save issue.
Also, what's your bandwidth? Download/Upload

4 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Hmm, this used to be a bug that has been fixed, though.

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Astro
...go there and remove all it's contents. It may be a config or save issue.
Also, what's your bandwidth? Download/Upload

I'm doing that now, though I have had this issue with multiple worlds so I'm not sure if it's a save or config issue. I'm having the person connecting do it as well so we can try it there too. 

My download speed is 239Mb, and my upload is 24Mb. I'm connected directly to my router. 

Edit: I built a new rig since the first time I've had this issue so the game has technically been "uninstalled and reinstalled". 

Edited by BeknBee

Just tried with my world and it didn't work. My partner was able to connect to my game when it was new, but when we both disconnected and he tried to join me for the second time it didn't work and he got the same error message. In our attempt to fix the previous issue, we wound up encountering another. When I try to join his game, I receive the error message "Failed to join: Could not find user". We tried deleting and re-adding each other twice, both presenting the error.

Update: My partner was able to join my game while I afk'd. I'll run another test tonight and see if he's still able to connect. If not, I'll follow through on here and see what needs to be done. I have a feeling it was just a lucky connect though, as it's happened occasionally before but a majority of the time we receive an error.

Are you certain your router isn't doing any shenanigans with the ports? Like blocking anything relevant?
You could try to forward the Steamworks ports to be sure.

I'm not sure, but I don't see why it would allow us to connect once everytime and then deny us in the future. Is there a way I can check to make sure? Also, I'll take a look into the Steamworks ports and I'll see if my partner can forward them as well.

Honestly, people not being able to resolve the issue with the things that you've tried already is pretty damn rare and it should work just fine. My last idea would be to completely remove Steam and install it again, or wipe it's whole cache. Maybe also wipe the Windows temp folder as well. Maybe it's some faulty file.

I really wish I was kidding, but it seems like every time I kill myself in-game it allows him to join? Tested this twice, it worked every time...

4 hours ago, BeknBee said:

I really wish I was kidding, but it seems like every time I kill myself in-game it allows him to join? Tested this twice, it worked every time...

That'd be easily in the top 10 of "weirdest bugs I've seen so far".
Really out of ideas if nothing works but this appears to somewhat fix it. Sorry!
I'll forward it.

10 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

That'd be easily in the top 10 of "weirdest bugs I've seen so far".
Really out of ideas if nothing works but this appears to somewhat fix it. Sorry!
I'll forward it.

That's okay, we're getting a good laugh out of it. I'm just glad we found a somewhat fix to the issue, as an hour yesterday was spent trying to connect to my world. Thanks for the help, and I'll leave this here in case someone else has the same issue!