Eric Townsend

Colored Tethers

So for Christmas, I noticed System Era has made the tethers glow a certain random color from red, green, blue, yellow, and white. I was thinking that maybe this could become a full feature, and allow the player to assign colors to specific tethers as a way to mark locations or pathways to certain landmarks. For example, you could surround a certain region with green tethers to mark a location where you want to start a new base, or you could use white tethers to line a path to a certain cave or mountain. I think many players would find this very useful.

I like the Christmas implementation, but I like having everything one color without having to change it. Perhaps that could work if every time you hit "t" it would stay the same color, but by picking it up and placing it again it would change. (Instead of always changing regardless if you hit "t" or place back down.)

I think it would be great to have the tethers be placed as white by default, but then the color can be cycled -- then it actually symbolizes something when I see a different color (like red for don't go this way, yellow for 'this branch is incompletely explored', etc.). Or perhaps the tether should be placed as the last color that you selected, in case you want to be able to easily place a series in a different color.