newton.bron

Lithium Byte Value Unbalanced

Is it just me or does  the 2500+ byte value of Lithium unbalance the research update? I love everything about the update except this. Instead of searching for research for large byte payoffs, you just need one lithium, a mineral extractor and then you are the fast track to unlocking the entire tree with no cave diving needed aside from a little resource gathering. Maybe its the intention of the dev's to allow different gameplay styles- like perhaps someone doesn't like research pod hunting- but until there are more long term goals in the game, to me it feels like it cuts down potential hours of gameplay...or does that feel like the intention? Anyone else feel this way? Is this already a thread and I'm blind?

Personally I feel like being able to research resources is more like an emergency solution. Lithium certainly seems a bit OP there, though. The other stuff gives you small values...way smaller than +2500, so that's kinda ok. However, the mineral extractor is due for a nerf anyway, so it may receive balance on that route...or through that one and a straight out value/speed nerf.

I get the feeling that lithium and titanium will probably get removed from both trade platform as well as mineral extractor at a future date.  This makes finding them from spacecraft on the starting planet or going to another planet to mine them from the surface worth the cost

8 hours ago, stephan.dickinson said:

I get the feeling that lithium and titanium will probably get removed from both trade platform as well as mineral extractor at a future date.  This makes finding them from spacecraft on the starting planet or going to another planet to mine them from the surface worth the cost

I agree, I think you shouldn't be able to make Titanium/Lithium, it just doesn't feel right. But I like that you can trade for it, maybe make it super expensive though? Because it's rare on your planet. That's usually how trade routes work, Sell the common thing on your planet to a place that doesn't get a lot of it for more.

I think it's kinda intentional if you ask me. It's a great way to enable a relatively big change to the game without completely making things intolerable for the less patient players.

I think the amount of soil you get from digging with the crane and digging with the terrain tool is also quite unbalanced, because when digging with the crane you’ll get soil much faster and create way smaller of a crater in the surface of the ground than if you do with the terrain tool. I can dig through an entire mountain worth the terrain tool and get as much soil as I would if I dug a much smaller crater with the crane. 

There's no reason for them to be removed from either.  There's plenty reason to maybe give us some teirs of resources, then make it so that only teir 1 can be gained from trader or soil.  To make higher or more complex recipes using rarer metals, found only on other planets. Plenty of other elements that could be added into the game.

I do agree that lithiums bytes need to be rebalanced, but I fully expect that anyway.

I think this problem stems from the general abundance of safety nets in the game. If you can't find research pods, you research materals; if you can't get materals, turn dirt into materals, if you want different materials, trade them for something else. (who the heck is a marooned astroneer trading with)? I'd like to see all these things either removed or toned down to encourage more exploration. Not to the point of frustration, mind you. A player who is planning ahead should always have options available to them, but I don't think you should be able to brute force your way through the game if you don't have a game plan.

Since there's no story, there's no suggestion that you are actually marrooooned.. could just be a straight up first point explorer.  All the wrecks can be reduced, moved etc..

Astroneer is a kind of survival game, as well as an exploration game. It needs a balance of those two primary concepts.

The old research method was a frustrating nightmare. The new one is much better, but could use a few teaks.

Lithium research bytes are excessive, that is true. Maybe 500 bytes would be a better amount. Lithium is still pretty rare.

Exploration should be encouraged by rewards; not exploring should not be met with any punishment, just the absence of reward.

Astroneer is a far better game than it was six months ago, and continues to get better. However, no update is perfect.

I do commend the dev team for continuing striving to make the game better, and for listening to the player base.