4KbShort

Lastest update: Going backwards with power?

So in the new research update I like the points system and the new animated research station and the ability to unlock things in the order I like (which means I can go to other planets BEFORE I unlock everything and make it pointless). However, I feel like the dev team has gone backwards from the last big update. The power systems were tweaked to allow us to use the tools without using power so we weren't standing around waiting for our backpacks to recharge over time and that made the game flow ever so much faster.

Now, though, I find myself doing the exact same thing: standing around waiting for power so I can get enough points to buy a new device. Usually something to generate MORE power. This has really hampered game flow once again with me standing next to the generator feeding it flowers or just going around sucking up power blobs to feed to the research machine.

I do see thermal vents all over the underground. If there's going to be some kind of 24hr always on power supply (turbines not withstanding since they can stop anytime) it would be super great to implement soon to balance out the constant need for the research station to suck up all the power.

Thanks for listening,

4KbShort

What I noticed is that the power seems to only multiply up to a point.  The first research pod I found was at a crash site, which was one of the high value pods.  The initial time to fully research this pod was shown to be something like 2 hours (9000 bytes).  So I printed and attached 4 small generators directly onto the research platform, then gathered a boat load of organic nuggets.  With all 4 generators running, the catalog indicated 146 b/m. 

After gaining enough bytes, I printed 2 of the large solar panels.  These were attached on top of expansion nodes, the nodes were of course connected to the research platform.  With both solars functioning, plus all 4 generators, the byte rate did not go above 146 b/m.  With both solars attached directly to research platform, the rate was still 146 b/m.  Maybe you have to go above a certain power level to increase the byte rate. 

You just need to unlock the solar panel and you will get maximum power (1 solar panel per research station), no need to wait. Then make a battery/big wind turbine for night = 24hr power flow.

What the OP describes happens only at the start of the game, when you still have only the small generator/small wind turbine/small solar.

This update, while increasing a bit the waiting, also reduces the pods that I need to bring to the base (expecially if you only look for the rare ones)

Beginnings are always slow, but once you get better sources of power and use batteries for energy storage you can build additional research stations and have continuous b/m at all times of day. After some luck exploring and one of the rare chests I was able to bump up to almost 200b/m with just one station, with more stations and better power I'm sure it would be quick turnaround for every research chest.