ScrappyCocco

Am i the only one disappointed?

I really don't like the new patch, waiting for bytes?
Come on i want to play not to wait hours exploring while my base farm bytes to unlock new things...

Am i the only one or someone else dislike this?

"Waiting for bytes" is slow at first but it gets better as you add generators and then solar panels. And being able to choose what we want sure beats getting useless items such as the enclosed 3-seat in early game.

Maybe they can add a few small things that are quick and easy to research at the beginning, to make it feel a bit less slow at first. I am cautiously optimistic, and so far things do seem okay. But I am still establishing my base and haven't had much time to really heavily experiment with research. So far, however, it seems like the problem is more one of tuning than of design.

Also, I think the intention is that you not wait but rather keep exploring as the research happens in the background. So it's best to try to go straight for solar panels at first so you're not refilling the small generators constantly.

I do like the new research system even if "bytes" feels a bit strange when having terabytes of data on hard drives :)

I like the update. between gathering power from caves and the generators u can get some bytes added up pretty quick. i have four research bays running on this save, with about a dozen small wind vanes and small solar.  didn't take too long to unlock the medium battery.  research does seems to be a little more scarce to find now.

I'm sitting at 2.5 - 3 hours with a friend and we have gotten 3 batteries now. The Space research container give you 5000+ (2 of ours was over 7k) in bytes a piece. The only issue we have is power generation. We have solar(2) but they don't work at night. The Small Wind vane doesn't seem to be consistent enough so we are just using the inhibitor to get organics. We also have the duplicator (can't remember real name) to make whatever. It's not perfect, It would awesome for a hopper to throw organics into for the generator to use. when it runs empty

Edited by Major Payne

I have 5 research bays, and 7 or 8 of the bigger solar panels. At one point I was gaining over 600 bytes per minute.

waiting isn’t a big issue, it just takes a bit of forward thinking at the start.

unlock the small solar panel, and the mineral extractor first. Once you have those, get yourself some copper and build a few solar panels. Make sure you have the research bay fully powered and it doesn’t take long at all.

i had four small solar panels on the one reasearch bay and had excess power charging a large battery I found in a cave

I like it so far. Not seeing many bugs yet. Have 2 research bays, 6 mini solar,  1 large solar and wind power. 350 bytes a min. Love digging large mines and using soil to duplicate the one lithium I found to make batteries.  Draw distance is still a issue with xbox one. Lots of pop up.

once you have a mineral extractor and the Wide & Booster mod you can fill 8 canisters with dirt in less than a minute.   This lets you drill a nice tunnel near your base to both gather new research as well as generate infinte organics for power.   The system feeds itself and works at night to boot.

I have spent hours mining every bit of crap for miles, even tunneling through mountains to find other areas to explore. I have piles of minerals sitting around and enough tethers to go around the planet. Do I have a printer yet? Not a chance. Have I EVEN been able to research a SINGLE item?  Not a chance. I am stuck with the most basic items and have NO way it seems to make more. I do not have enough "data" to open ANYTHING. Until this current update is torched and a better system or a return to the old is done, so am I. The game is no longer fun.

2 hours ago, RigelPrime said:

I have spent hours mining every bit of crap for miles, even tunneling through mountains to find other areas to explore. I have piles of minerals sitting around and enough tethers to go around the planet. Do I have a printer yet? Not a chance. Have I EVEN been able to research a SINGLE item?  Not a chance. I am stuck with the most basic items and have NO way it seems to make more. I do not have enough "data" to open ANYTHING. Until this current update is torched and a better system or a return to the old is done, so am I. The game is no longer fun.

Build a research bay, stick a couple of generators on it, research your ‘piles of minerals’ to gain the bytes to build stuff.

Or, find a cave and stick a couple of the nugget things into the research bay

Edited by FACR Dwarfy

1 hour ago, FACR Dwarfy said:

Build a research bay, stick a couple of generators on it, research your ‘piles of minerals’ to gain the bytes to build stuff.

Or, find a cave and stick a couple of the nugget things into the research bay

I know how you research, but in my opinion it's not immediate and fun as it was before, looks like more "grinding"

1 hour ago, ScrappyCocco said:

I know how you research, but in my opinion it's not immediate and fun as it was before, looks like more "grinding"

That's how many games usually are. If they'd just throw all the fun at you without doing much work, where's the feel of progression? Of reward? Of accomplishment (oh damn, I sound like EA now)?
There always needs to be some "grind". Of course, it matters how much it actually is in the end.

49 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

There always needs to be some "grind". Of course, it matters how much it actually is in the end.

I think that's the problem even for an experience astroneer player like myself, it's just a bit too much. There's way too much downtime and that equates to no progress at all.

27 minutes ago, Mak-a-Face said:

I think that's the problem even for an experience astroneer player like myself, it's just a bit too much. There's way too much downtime and that equates to no progress at all.

I had a pretty smooth +7h run with it.

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

That's how many games usually are. If they'd just throw all the fun at you without doing much work, where's the feel of progression? Of reward? Of accomplishment (oh damn, I sound like EA now)?

I was overwhelmed by the grind at first, too. But I got a bunch of stuff researched and my base built up (I did in fact feel a sense of pride and accomplishment), but now the performance tanked and I can't enjoy the gameplay. I didn't even get a chance to go to Baren. I grinded this far, now I have to grind through the air, it's really frustrating (I know it's going to get better but waaaaaaah).

Ok, big boy pants. Is there a way to optimize what I do in order to NOT bog down the game? This time I tried to use minimal tethers. I did circumnavigate the world this time and dropped a bunch of beacons... but I don't know what I can do to keep. I have 11 medium batteries and 2 research bays sucking on some of that sweet space research.

2 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

The Aperature Science Foundation would like to remind you that grinding is not allowed in the test chambers.

But then again, Portal is a wholly different game type.

But then again, Astroneer is not really that grindy of a game. It's more a waiting game than a grind. And in the case of a waiting game, might I suggest doing things while you wait?

5 hours ago, Freshmanrob said:

Ok, big boy pants. Is there a way to optimize what I do in order to NOT bog down the game? This time I tried to use minimal tethers. I did circumnavigate the world this time and dropped a bunch of beacons... but I don't know what I can do to keep. I have 11 medium batteries and 2 research bays sucking on some of that sweet space research.

That...sadly that's still normal but being improved as the game developes. Everyone has that, more or less.

4 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

The Aperature Science Foundation would like to remind you that grinding is not allowed in the test chambers.

But then again, Portal is a wholly different game type.

But then again, Astroneer is not really that grindy of a game. It's more a waiting game than a grind. And in the case of a waiting game, might I suggest doing things while you wait?

Tbh the soil grind is the only thing I'd consider "grindy". Though it's optional and not new anymore, so research is the new target for negativity (I am serious, they used to flame soil when it came out lol).

I have mixed feelings about the new unlock system. 

Ilike how I can choose my upgrade path now, that was my biggest complaint before. Remember how frustrating it was when you wanted medium storage but you got a wide-mod instead?

However the new bytes thing is a little too much grinding for my taste. Maybe because when you came back with research before the payout was instant, but now you have to wait 20+ minutes.

I'm about 4 hours into the new patch and already have just about everything I need. So scaling isn't too difficult or tedious (yet). I'm willing to wait and see where it goes.

I also really enjoy that i can chose my upgrade path.

I think my biggest complaint is getting off the ground is difficult (like when you first start not like actually leaving the planet or anything) powering the initial Rstation is tedious because its hard to find any consistent power. I think it only took me like maybe an hour to an hour and a half to actually get things going but that kind of intial feeling of "omg i need 8k for a medium rover" feels hopeless.

Though i do agree with what the mod said about feeling accomplished when you actually get your base going. 

After that the game is a lot of fun and i look forward to when they add more "late game" content

Edited by SorrowsTouch
forgot that its medium rover not large ?

58 minutes ago, SorrowsTouch said:

I also really enjoy that i can chose my upgrade path.

I think my biggest complaint is getting off the ground is difficult (like when you first start not like actually leaving the planet or anything) powering the initial Rstation is tedious because its hard to find any consistent power. I think it only took me like maybe an hour to an hour and a half to actually get things going but that kind of intial feeling of "omg i need 8k for a medium rover" feels hopeless.

Though i do agree with what the mod said about feeling accomplished when you actually get your base going. 

After that the game is a lot of fun and i look forward to when they add more "late game" content

I think maybe people are a little salty too because there's not much besides base building in the game right now. (To which I respond, it's in alpha. Chill out)

I wouldn't mind the grind at all if there were things to explore for other reasons besides collecting research. Like what if you could find rare blueprints that aren't in the computer in some of the wrecked ships? That would be cool.

Having come back to the game after a long break, I have to say I really like the new research system. I like being strategic about what I unlock early, deciding if I want items to accelerate my ability to process research (more power options) or explore (vehicles, etc). No more going and collecting piles of items, hoping one of them will get me closer to my goal instead of just giving me filters. 

It feels like a different game wrapped in the same graphics. And I like this new game.

While not perfect [ what is? ], the new research system is much, much better than the random one before it.

The new problem now seems to be power, or the lack of sufficient power, causing delay in researches.

For some reason I cannot unlock the medium solar panel, even though I have the medium printer and small solar panel.

That is extremely frustrating to me. Maybe it's a glitch in my particular game, but my research PDA is not showing the medium solar panel to unlock.

In any event, some adjustment downward of the research time might be a good change for now.

I' have also noticed that my FPS is better if I pick up all of my unneeded tethers instead of just leaving them in place, like I used to do.