The ALPHA Update

PrimalByte

I've just seen the a video on the up coming ALPHA update with research 2.0 and I'm not that impressed. It's now has a credit system to buy whatever you want, they is not the direct I was expecting. It would have been better for the Astroneer to find wreckage of items and bring them back to backward engineer. If items were too damaged then it would result in a research failure, so the Astroneer to have to keep travelling about the planet to better samples.

Also still no back story why this Astroneer it alone and once all research and planets are discovered, what the incentive to keep playing. 

I do like the game, but I still can't recommend this game to people. I say play the demo and the first thing they say is, "It looks nice, but what's the point of it.".  That's something for the developers to think about, because if more people buy it then no funding for any more development.

Edited by PrimalByte

25 minutes ago, PrimalByte said:

I've just seen the a video on the up coming ALPHA update with research 2.0 and I'm not that impressed. It's now has a credit system to buy whatever you want, they is not the direct I was expecting. It would have been better for the Astroneer to find wreckage of items and bring them back to backward engineer. If items were too damaged then it would result in a research failure, so the Astroneer to have to keep travelling about the planet to better samples.

Also still no back story why this Astroneer it alone and once all research and planets are discovered, what the incentive to keep playing. 

I do like the game, but I still can't recommend this game to people. I say play the demo and the first thing they say is, "It looks nice, but what's the point of it.".  That's something for the developers to think about, because if more people buy it then no funding for any more development.

Translation: "They haven't done research *exactly* the way I wanted it to be, the game sucks, I can't recommend it, there's no point to it and nobody will buy it unless they do as I want."

Yes, I am exaggerating and deforming what you said but your comment still looks like a little, ill-thought temper tantrum. The game is entering alpha, there will be more point to it as more features are added. Give the game, any game, a chance to grow. The game, any game,  grows more on positive contributions than on negative ones.

They have to add content in the first place in the upcoming months to fill the game with more and more interesting stuff, a background story is something they should do much later.

7 hours ago, PrimalByte said:

Well, it is what the players have been asking for: A more directed form of research.

This is essentially the third system they have developed for the game. The first system kind of worked, but it was too quick to research everything and had they added more content the weakness of the system would show up: It wasn't so much progression as it was a random lottery. Players could easily get early game items last and late game items early. The second system lengthened the time to research everything, but exaggerated the flaw in the first system.

This new system fixed the lack of direction in research, for good. The player can direct the research, and the developers can adjust how long it takes to research things.

Is there a problem your proposal is actually solving that can't be solved some other way? The developers already have the tools to encourage exploration through the crafting system.

Fair enough, but that is not the purpose of this particular patch. I'm sure it is something they are discussing and planning.

Also, endgame content is probably the most difficult thing to create. Many players will get bored with any game once they have discovered everything.

I do like the game, but I still can't recommend this game to people. I say play the demo and the first thing they say is, "It looks nice, but what's the point of it.". 

Perhaps you should articulate to them why you like the game :).

For myself, the point of it is to have a nice game I can play and explore. I guess the best way to say it is "it's a sandbox." Being able to create your own aims (or just be aimless) is kinda half the fun. At the very least, two goals that most people seem to have is to research all technologies and explore all planets.

I'm sure it will be fleshed out and perhaps an end game goal eventually added. Right now, they are doing a lot of systems work, with Research 2.0 being one of the new systems. They are also working out how to make things more modular, as well as terrain 2.0 and better multiplayer. There's still a lot of work left to do.

I agree, it was an ill thought rant. The site wouldn't allow me to edit it. I wasn't please, but it got your attention. 

The game now seems slow and mouse movement is sluggish. The foot step sounds have gone. 

I'm sorry you all must have worked extensively hard on the update and hats off to you Devs, it's a great little game which I like to revisit from time to time. This time you've made it easier to find the floating value for credits. Nice one!