SES_joe

"Research Update" - December 18th, 2017

Nice to have some more control of the research, less grinding to get what you want.
However, at the moment I feel a lack of incentive to leave Terran, as everything is somehow available there - how about having several different "research currencies" harvested from artifacts of different planets/biomes, so the only way of unlocking all tech is to explore a large portion of the solar system? To me, the relatively easy access to the large rover and the large shuttle made me choose to go straight for those instead of making the small ones first, so not much progress feel compared to my first game where I happened to research the small ones first.

I'm also backing the suggestion to remove research from "Q" and use a dedicated key for research.

I was surprised to suddenly see colored Christmas tethers, cool. Could be a nice feature for cave exploration - to be able to set the tether colors, to mark the main shaft etc.

Bug? When picking up theters I found that had been dropped by the barnacle creature, the empty plate remained in my backpack after the tethers were used up.

With the new way of putting down tethers where you stand, instead of with the mouse, how about automatically putting them at max distance by holding "T" while walking/running?

One thing I hate about games...  Tutorials.  If it's that hard, I'm already losing interest.  I will say I like the updates so far, but concerned the complexity may increase too much to make the game less playable.

OK, played about an hour of the new game.  One word:   Tedious.  Very tedious.  Seems all I do now is sit next to the research thing waiting for bytes.  Not good.  Almost completely killed the adventure and discovery aspect of the game.  This is in no way the game it was originally, and I miss that.  

8 hours ago, X-BT said:

Nice to have some more control of the research, less grinding to get what you want.
However, at the moment I feel a lack of incentive to leave Terran, as everything is somehow available there - how about having several different "research currencies" harvested from artifacts of different planets/biomes, so the only way of unlocking all tech is to explore a large portion of the solar system?

Quoting from the release notes:

Research 2.1* - Implemented & In Progress

The first version of this is out, but that doesn't mean we are done. As with all of the new systems we are shipping, these are just base implementations that we will now work on expanding. The next steps include working on items that instantly grant you research points, and unlockable blueprints that can only be found out in the world and never be unlocked via the catalog. Expect this to keep getting more content for our next few updates. 

Put those blueprints on other planets and here's the incentive to leave Terran.

There is a bug with floating resources:

12mjqcf.jpg

I believe it is connected to large resource depots like this:

13tjo42.jpg

Somehow the physics struggles with large depots and therefore many resources seems to fall into the underground, I lost a big part of my resource inventory because of this issue. And some are floating in the air.

Ohohoh, a useless comment in this topic, I am very sorry about that. But I love it! I don't love it because I think all the issues are addressed, I love it because a looot of issues are fixed, the curve success is way more interesting, and the research progress is more than gambling. Like it! Well, after one has researched all one needs (and yes, I ignore some things I just never used over the last 12 months) it is getting a bug "boring", but I am looking forward to a lot of content which extends the research and base building potential and lifts the "goal" higher and higher.

Good job, with a lot of respect, and a hope of seeing more and more progress in the alpha 2018 :)

Overall I really like the new research system -- much better to be able to chose what tech to unlock.

I'm a little concerned that the research curve is a bit slow though -- after unlocking my first few pieces of tech, I have nothing to spend my resources on except small power generators and more research stations. It seems a bit unbalanced if I have to have a huge research factory or grind resources to kill time in order to unlock any of the early buildings. I think that reducing the time-to-research on the early artifacts from 12-18 mins down to something a bit shorter would be worth considering; I have 2 research stations and 4 artifacts queued up for researching after just an hour or two  of exploring.

I'm also a -1 to the purple on blue text in the research tool.

I'm also a -1 to having 'q' cycle through research after opening the backpack; it should be bound to 'r' or another key.

On 19/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, spinlock_1977 said:

I love the update.  It's slightly grindy, but research progress is now steady rather than luck-of-the-draw - much better!

Rovers are still  a problem.  I just had a 2-card rover train get into a furious fight with itself and then wink out of existence.  I posted some details in the Bug forum.  Despite the loss, it looked funny as hell!

I've actually decided to stop using Rovers until the next update, due to the current issues with them, both graphical and physics. Had my Medium Rover doing a stationary wheelie the other day. It was docked to my base at the time, and had two trailers connected to it. It's front half was about two feet up in the air, with the cable trailing out front and down to the base. Looked crazy! I panicked and disconnected it from the other Rovers, as they both had valuable stuff on and it didn't know if it was going to take flight or not.

Avoiding using Rovers has actually added an extra layer of challenge for me, to be honest. It means relying on tethers, filters and O2 Tanks a lot more now. Just have to time your excursions well, to avoid the storms whilst juggling Artefacts.

Spanish: Creo que puede ser una buena idea el sistema de puntos (bytes) pero no la forma en la que se consiguen (investigando) ya que es un proceso demasiado lento y su coste puede ser excesivo. Además, hacen falta nuevas formas de generar energía o que la energía sea más fácil de conseguir. Adjunto una foto de lo poco que hice en unas 6 horas / English: I think that the system of points (bytes) may be a good idea but not the way in which they are achieved (investigating) since it is too slow a process and its cost can be excessive. In addition, new ways of generating energy or making energy easier to achieve are needed. I attach a photo of what little I did in about 6 hours.

20171225031045_1.jpg

In my current game, I have run out of nearby research items. I apparently crossed half the planet and my game crashed. Not to mention it lagged whenever I was sucking up dirt like my framerate was from 1943. Is this console/client side or have I just done too much to the planet for it to put with my shit?

Many have posted that the grinding is less with this change.  I disagree.  It's more, and quite boring.  There's very little reason to explore any more.  I feel this change was short sighted.  Hope it changes back, in some ways not all.  Or, they add reasons to explore back into the game.  Almost no reason to explore any more.  Totally killed the game IMHO.

3 hours ago, Nargg said:

There's very little reason to explore any more.  I feel this change was short sighted.  Hope it changes back, in some ways not all.  Or, they add reasons to explore back into the game.  Almost no reason to explore any more.

You're exactly right, by turning the research in a currency "crypt o-mining", there's pretty much no motivation to stop and pick up any of the worthless artifacts. On top of that, the absence of a tech tree is also contributing to this.

Individual pieces still need work but to me, the problem at this early stage is more about how those pieces fit together (or maybe not). Why go on long treks and haul chests back to the base when we get more research done converting sediment into lithium?

System Era i think you should add a scrapper to scrap any item but also get all the resources back. you should make one like that but for vehicles so you could scrap enclosed 3 seat and large tier items and also scrap vehicles.

Thanks for taking this in for consideration.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, hodgsth said:

Great new content in the update, folks!  I'm just getting started so I'll most more feedback as I find things, but here's the first one.

I don't like how the backpack catalog module pops up EVERY TIME I use the backpack interface.  On PC I'm used to hitting the "Q" button as a simple toggle for backpack / not backpack.  Now It's really annoying to have 3 states every single time: (1)Backpack "closed" (2) Backpack "open" (3)Catalog module open.  repeat...

Can we keep the normal behavior toggling between (1) and (2) and only access the catalog module (3) when desired by clicking on that part of the backpack?  I understand that by including it in the default loop cycle people can't help but discover it and its uses, but I think you could raise awareness of it's use with tutorial style pop-up tips instead.

Lot's of great stuff in here too, just haven't gotten to reviewing that yet :D . 

Keep up the great work!

You could fix that by lowering the value of the chest the more you use it and raising the value the less you use it. 

On 12/18/2017 at 7:59 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

I have to say that this research 2.0 is looking promising. It did take a while to get going, I figure it took me an hour just to get my first solar panel built but after that, it really accelerated greatly, especially when you got 5 research stations running at once. I can't see this working too well on other planets because of the limitations of resources in the areas where you land. This could be solved by giving us the tether first before the small generator, at least you be able to extend your range.

The problem that I've notice so far, is that once you find out which chest has the best bang for bytes, you won't waste your time on the other chests.

Perhaps the solution to this, would be to have different kinds of research points, so like the common chest would give you certain kind of points and the exotic chest would give you another kind of research points. So when you're unlocking recipes, it would require certain amount of points from the different kinds of research you've collected. This way, all the other chests won't be neglected.

You could fix that by lowering the value of the chest the more you use it and raising it the less you use it. 

21 hours ago, Bernardo Arellano said:

You could fix that by lowering the value of the chest the more you use it and raising it the less you use it. 

That would work better than different kinds of research points as there is no guarantee we'd get the right kind of chest (and research points) in any procedurally-generated planet. Or perhaps limiting the number of research chambers we can have. 2? 3? ???

I play a lot of games that have a grind. If I'm grinding for a specific goal, I don't really mind it that much.

What I think is needed is a research TREE: Need to unlock vehicle bay before unlocking medium rover

Need to unlock medium rover to unlock large rover

Need to unlock large rover to unlock small shuttle

Need to unlock small shuttle to unlock large shuttle

Most games that involve research have this sort of tree. It provides for intermediate goals and gives rewards. Prerequisites.

Also, mined or discovered elements [ lithium, titanium, compound, etc. ] should have no research bytes.

In any event, I really like the way this game is developing, so kudos to the development team.

A few comments, bugs & issues, and such.

But before I get to any of that, thanks to all at SES for a wonderful first year! I started playing a year ago, I guess it was Patch 018 :P (how ironic, with it now being 2018) and I've enjoyed the many hundreds of hours I've played, Astroneer is my chill, relaxation game and I play it every night without fail. Unfortunately that can mean a lot if fatalities, falling asleep with controller in hand, often I'll have one hand stuck pushing a stick forward sending my Astroneer unknowkingly off into the distance (she can get REALLY far from base while I'm snoozing, especially with a few extra oxygen tanks in her pack) before the suffocation sounds start going off. These will sometimes wake me, but at other times they won't, so I'll wake to find a respawn pod at back at my base :( 

If that happens and I've had a recent save (or hope I have at least) I usually just force quit and restart, but I'm hoping somewhere in future updates we'll see something added to the menu like a configurable autosave feature, so people like me who tend to doze off can have some means to back up there game (I know on Xbox the game also seems to crash quite a bit, so when off adventuring it'd be nice to go to the menu and save without a pod or vehicle as I'm frequently without either, not seen any feedback about this suggestion but I do hope it can make it into the game at a future date).

Also really enjoyed the holiday lights added to the game, made things feels very seasonal :D I had hoped in the past there would have been some little "extras" added in, like for Fourth of a July, or perhaps Halloween (there was that time all the trees turned black O.o but I'm pretty sure that was accidental lol!). Now I realize those aren't quite as "global" a type of celebration as the Holidays, but I'm glad we had the tethers and hope to see other sorts of events and celebrations in the Astroneer world. Very nice! Only comments I saw from the Astroneer club I participate in on Xbox One were things like people wanted to set a certain color of tether in certain areas (to match a theme or style of "decor" maybe in a future appearance ;) and also some simply liked some colors more than others, I know the green looked a bit too much like the acid ooze from the "Pumpkin" plants maybe change it to a different shade and the Blue while one of my fave colors, was a bit dark once in caves or at night (caves seem to feel darker with every update, idk what changes get made, but with every update I have to set the game brightness a bit higher and I'm not changing any other settings anywhere else such as with my TV, so I'm totally puzzled). I use a worklight and it helps, but caves are still very dark.

in fact, I was kinda hoping you'd chosen the Malachite and Laterite colors for the Holidays too, as they look like Forest Green and Cinnamon xD. But they're just too dark imho for the cave environment, which I stay on Terran so that's where they are 99% of the time for me. They probably look much different in the sunshine, but I'm hoping those colors could be lightened somewhat as they're very difficult to find in caves unless I'm practically right upon them, or else I spot them visually from their crystalline outline. The Ammonium is a gorgeous art design, but it's difficult to maneuver over by foot, almost impossible if trying to avoid noxious acid gas :( It's color looks kind of strange in the dark, but the greenish cast in sunlight, above ground, when it's more a green color, is quite nice.

As to resin and compound-I did watch the VLOG about how resin is more yellowish to off-white, but I really don't like it's current color and same with many people. I think it'd be better to make it much lighter (the yellow is way too dark, plus it doesn't really look well in various color-themed environments on Terran (which is where most people their spend time and set up their home base). Right now the Terran color-pairs (which hopefully will get some expanding for variety) are yellow-green & green (I avoid a base on this at all costs, it's too bright and hurts my eyes, lol), orange and green (2nd most likely to avoid, any significant amount of green terrain creates a sort of "daytime haze" to occur-this doesn't happen with any of the other colors), orange & purple (love the purple, don't like orange, which is used too much imho), orange & dusty sky blue (again love the blue, don't really like orange), and light blue & pink/magenta (my fave of all, because it doesn't contain any green or orange :P ). And regarding terrain color, since it's a cosmetic thing, I think Terrain Analzer shouldn't cost Bytes, or should be a low amount, because why should we pay so much for making things look better and more suitable to us? I don't think of it as a sort of "luxury item" suitable for some "luxury tax" in the game, I think it's ridiculous to think this way. And why haven't Terrain Analyzers and Inhibitors returned to the game as possible rewards for exploration? They used to be found in some Hubble wreckage. Back when the mods were all unlocked, it was understandable to trade them out with dynamite, but now there's dynamite literally EVERYWHERE I turn in caves, instead of things that used to be there that were actually useful? Please put them back :) I'm sure many of us would be so happy!

The research catalog. I join the many of us who have extremely well-established muscle memory and would like the Y button (or whatever keyboard shortcut it is) to both OPEN & CLOSE our backpacks, end story. It's very hard to retrain those muscle memories :( I've actually gotten pretty used to it, but I really don't need to open the catalog often so it just makes sense to leave it the way it was before and make a different button or gesture to open the catalog. I'm sure the gamepad like always is the rate-limiting step. Can't hotkey anything to it. Still, I'm sure there has to be some way. Y'all are quite smart, I know we're in good hands :D Same thing, can't read it with those colors, that magenta on blue, omg. I'm sure that's already being worked on. Another thing is how the catalog is organized and the icons. The fire symbol as others have mentioned makes NO sense. Maybe a lightning bolt to symbolize power? Something along those lines? Organization makes no sense. Why separate Inhibitor from all the other Tool Mods? Same for Terrain Analyzer? They're all Terrain Mods, so they all should go together, I was looking for them all together and I'm sure others were too. Also, maybe have all things aligned to one column, so when you're going down a list, you go from small solar, to small wind, to power cells, and oxygen filters? Reason being, people not familiar with the catalog might not realize there are items you have to scroll to left AND right for, it's not exactly clear. It's also imho very confusing the way the layout seems to indicate I'm on a different row than I actually am, and maybe it's just me idk, but that really bothers me for some particular reason. If I look at where I think I am I'm always off by a row. It's also VERY difficult to tell visually (whiteout actually reading the text to see if an item is "unlocked" if it is, just from viewing the "shade" of highlight of its icon in the catalog. There seems to be two levels of "brightness" of white used, and that's not very useful. The blue background causes a lot of these problems I think. I love blue, but in this case of a display, it just isn't the best I don't think, I don't know what will work best in all circumstances I know it's a work in progress and things may change over time. I just give my feedback and do what I can to help the game and others. It's the first implementation so I expect the system will improve over time in terms of UI, organization, and such.

Research. I wouldn't say I exactly love the new system, it's new and like all things new it needs some kinks worked out, but it's MUCH better than where it was, being random. I was pretty tired of always getting a crane, winch, or drill out of the first three things I researched EVERY game, EVERY time, without fail. None of those things are useful to starting a base in the early game. Some games I quite after 20+ hrs because I never found items like a large rover (I rarely mess with little ones, too wobbly), filters & tanks (essentials, because I mostly travel on foot, off tether & without vehicle), and often no means to get into space (the only benefit that did come out of the days back when the green & red spiky pods yielded spacecraft lol). I have made some observations but idk if it's just been my bad luck, or if it's an overall trend. I haven't found hardly any "rock-type" research pods anymore on Terran. Crashed spacecraft hardly ever have reeearch associated with them anymore, which really sucks by the way :( Plenty of it in caves with satellites, and I go into caves often but that's extremely tedious to carry it out, and this new research does add quite a bit of tedium to the game. It'd basically haul research around, earn bits. That's it pretty much. At least until we're given new stuff to build and new stuff to do things with that stuff we make. I understand this is more "improvements to the infrastructure" and that must come first, but it's not exactly what I was thinking of when I heard "big content update in December." That's not to knock what's been done, I'm sure this amounts to a HUGE amount of work for the team. It's basically rewriting a big section of the game and how it runs, now small task. The research catalog and the streaming power, those are big deals. But to the player, it's not really new content, I hope that makes sense. Sure the research module got a big overhaul, and the catalog is new. So yes, things have defiantly changed, it's just more "under-the-hood" than I expected, but all of it still hard work well done, and necessary to move forward.

Research Module. Other than using the tiniest possible font that people with bifocals can't read :P it's ok.

Power Streaming. Ok this has issues. Others are having issues too so it's not just me. May of us have more than one research module running. I started with just one, and if I kept at that I wouldn't have noticed the issues. I only run 2 to keep it simple. First I noticed when they were near each other sharing the part of the base (I start my base with 4 expansions like the spokes on a well, then expand at angles outward from there sort of like a crystalline design sorry I don't have an acct currently to post pics but I call it a Snowflake base because it's sort of similar). Anyway, the long & short of it is, I typically have a mix of power producing devices all around the base, solar, wind, and organic. No matter what, thr overall "power" that's generated isn't divided equally among the research modules and that's a BIG problem imho. It should be. Before this streaming power was introduced, it worked better idk how else to say it, because it's like comparing apples to oranges between then and now, but I don't like how it's working now. Research modules also won't allow batteries to remain charged if I need them to load onto a vehicle, for example, also another module used (like printer, resource maker, etc) can be left starved for power in many circumstances because it's all diverted to the research module(s) based on placement which again is just very odd. So I hope there will be some refinement of power flow through bases because it's not working like it seems it should be right now, at least not on Xbox One. There seems to be some unspoken hierarchies involved but I can't make sense of it nor do I want to test and try to. I'll let y'all do that ;) 

Bytes. Think there should be some thought to rebalance some of the costs in the catalog. At first glance, items I thought were overly expensive: large rover, medium battery, Inhibitor, Terrain Analyzer. Things I think could be higher: Crane, Drill, Fuel Condenser (now that there's the Resource Module & the converter, do people even craft the Condenser anymore?) I know I'm always passing up those items, repeatedly, waiting to unlock many more expensive things. I'm sure others do use them, but until your out onto other planets, you don't need a drill or crane. It's very easy to mine with the tool. You could always use a wide mod or boost to make it go by even faster (but without looking at those costs, I'm not sure it saves bytes; I prefer the Inhibitor to skim & not deform terrain once I've got enough soil to last a bit).

Oh almost forgot about compound. I generally find the color very pleasing, it's like a pale lavender color. I'm so glad it didn't turn out to be that dark teal color y'all were testing it with. But it's very light especially in bright sun and also on lighter colored terrain. Not sure the best course of action, because I'd hate to see it changed to a completely different color, or worse, made some really dark purple, but maybe the color could be intensified a bit? Or add a bit more of a contrasting hue like with the old resin there was a yellow? I wouldn't make it yellow for this lavender color, don't think that would look good but that's hard to tell until you're testing it. Idk it's just very light and in caves with poor lighting it's darker but also becomes much harder to see high up on those cave walls. It's a tough situation dealing with the many colors and the varying degrees of lighting and contrast, I'm sure it's not an easy job to juggle as those factors and all the planets it's appearing on with all the different variables they present as well (that's why I remain on Terran, more limited set of variables, and I like it that way for now :P ).

Items in your "deceased's" backpack are still sideways when you go to pick them up. Not a big deal, just mentioning again.

Thruster still misspelled as "Thru$ter" :P 

Trucks (large rovers) are working fine for me, but then again, I've been lucky and haven't had near so many issues with them as others have. I tend to be a bit more cautious in guessing. I never make more than 2 vehicle chains too, maybe 3 with the small ones because they hold almost nothing, but I rarely build them anyways.

Thats enough for now, it's already a lot but I don't tend to write that often xD. Looking forward to the next update! :D 

the research module is to voracious with power right now I have to destroy research in order to use any other part of my base I think a compromises is in order how about the first half of the power bar stays the same (first priority) and the second only filled if nothing else needs the power to recharge (last priority)

5 hours ago, FacadeKitsune said:

the research module is to voracious with power right now I have to destroy research in order to use any other part of my base I think a compromises is in order how about the first half of the power bar stays the same (first priority) and the second only filled if nothing else needs the power to recharge (last priority)

There is a simple solution to that: just put the solar panel or wind turbine on the module (i.e. printer) you want to use and its power bar will have priority over the rest of your base, research chambers included.

7 hours ago, Eoghan said:

There is a simple solution to that: just put the solar panel or wind turbine on the module (i.e. printer) you want to use and its power bar will have priority over the rest of your base, research chambers included.

Or just build more solar panels. The research bay only takes so much before there is an excess, then it fills everything else no worries.

I have about 6 large panels on my base, it runs five research bays at full speed and still fills batteries and all the other modules no worries at all

18 hours ago, FACR Dwarfy said:

Or just build more solar panels. The research bay only takes so much before there is an excess, then it fills everything else no worries.

I have about 6 large panels on my base, it runs five research bays at full speed and still fills batteries and all the other modules no worries at all

Indeed. There is more than just one way to get around "greedy" modules.

While that's certainly true, about adding more solar and wind power, I'm specifically talking about in the early stages of a base. I know I don't typically have the resources (ores, or smeltable ore precursors) or sometimes the desire to continuously run around fetching organics (an incredibly tedious affair until I have the Inhibitor, too expensive for a tool mod imho) to have enough continuously supplied power.  As for my particular issue with the gathering of organics and a few related issues, one can read more about that below*

I haven't done much testing, but here's one example of how unbalanced and wonky power is at the base. I had research running (either 1 or 2 modules), and I was tethered to my base. I was out in the field, and needed to print either some more tethers or soil canisters. It was daylight, and I had some small solar panels back at base. All power was being hogged by the research. My backpack did NOT receive any power from the base. This should NOT be happening imho. This should definitely be looked at, because this is a PROBLEM with power flow distribution on the base, maybe with priorities and hierarchies idk, but when you're away from base you should be able to, need to be able to, depend on getting power from your base if there are power stations on your base.

Another issue, it "seems" (but I haven't done enough testing to confirm) power won't continue from one side of the base to another or even down one spoke of extension nodes to power something further down if there's an organic generator in that mode, like as if the generator "blocks" power transmission through the node. Again, this needs more testing, but something weird was definitely going on. When I removed it, some power began to flow through. The organic generator wasn't running at the time, it was just idling.

Ok, enough about those things, on to two items I forgot to mention in my previous long post....

(1) A very annoying issue that's cropped up with the latest patch...when I approach any "node" on my base, instead of being able to see an item on top of the node highlighted for quick select/pick-up, like it's always been iirc, now trying to select any object or even trying to place organic on top of an organic generator, ends up selecting the node for extension instead. Extremely irritating. Most of the time I don't have resin with me so nothing bad happens at least, but the overall inconvenience of not being able to grab items without having to maneuver the cursor into place, hover over the object just right and select the item, overall is extremely tedious and wastes a lot of time. I play on Xbox One, so this is much more aggravating than I'm sure PC players can comprehend (unless they use a gamepad too). Sometimes I wish I had the benefit of using a mouse, for the vastly superior control, but I enjoy console play plus  it's convenient for me. Anyway, I sincerely hope the Devs can fix this, because it is something different and I'm guessing it was an unintended change. Please do have a look and return to the original state.

(2) About the tutorial, I'm fine with it in general, I suppose, but I believe it made more sense the way it was before when it simply guided players through steps of crafting the organic generator, then the tethers and canisters for soil. I don't believe it makes any sense at all to do the following:

-Landing with our packs at partial power. If you've played the game before, this is so easily circumnavigated, it makes the whole "power handicap at initial spawn" seem rather pointless, if not annoying and sorta like a suckerpunch. I understand why this likely seemed like a good idea but it really isn't all that great, and definitely not necessary to accomplish the goals of the tutorial. Full power at spawn doesn't interfere with your goal of requiring players to run the tutorial. They still need to do that in order to play the game.

-Associating the creation of "bytes" with crafting anything from the backpack, in the case of the tutorial, the crafting of the organic generator. Imho this only has the potential to cause confusion, and has no upsides. Again I understand why this seems like a good idea, but as someone who plays this game a ton, I'm here to say I just don't think it works so well as intended. Instead, I'd suggest not introducing Bytes at all in the pack. Again leave the tutorial much like it was, where you first just craft the organic generator, find organic, and then you craft tethers and soil canisters. I don't see anything additional or positive about adding in the concept of Bytes here, when it's removed and isolated from how it will work for the entire remainder of the game (the new research module). I know y'all want to keep tutorials to a minimum, so maybe just include (if it seems that's necessary) a pop-up! to see the instructions again when the first research module is printed (same way the instructions pop-up! appears when you start the game). No matter how it's done, I'm sure there's some way to introduce Bytes that's in a much more relevant setting than the current one, via the pack, which isn't relevant at all to how Bytes are discovered the remainder is the game and I'm just worried that confuses the issue for some players. As an aside, for the few who might complain about the tutorial, wow, this game has about as bare-bones a tutorial as I've ever seen. I have no choice but to believe these are trolling posts. I play Warframe, a very complex game (although I'm sure there any many others much more complex) and it's tutorial covers many of the core systems of the game and yet barely scratches the surface. People complain it should, in fact, cover MORE! I think players would instead become even more overwhelmed should it attempt to cover more complex game mechanics, but can't please everyone. Anyway, my point is, this game doesn't really have a tutorial in the true sense of the word. A few minimally guided steps, that's all, along with what, 4 minimalistic panels of instructions? Again, about as bare-bones as you'll find, but it does a decent job of communicating the essentials. Only information I feel is lacking is an explanation of what the audio settings in the menu control (such as what Ambient FX versus Sound FX vs Voice FX etc are?). That's about it. Very pleased overall. 

In closing, I always like to remind everyone, Devs included, of just how much I enjoy this game, and can't wait for the next update! Happy New Year!

*The initial gathering of organics, at least until an Inhibitor can be purchased and crafted (which should cost much less, as I've already mentioned) rips up the landscape something terrible. This leaves behind a lot of that terrible grey terrain, a completely unnecessary cosmetic change to the environment. While I would disagree, some of the Devs may argue the change to grey may have served some "point" when implemented, as one of them attempted to explain to me, in order to "demonstrate the ecological effects of strip mining a planet" (not a direct quote mind you, but that certainly was the gist of it). First off, I have problems with that original intent, because this isn't the sort of game that (even at this very early stage) is billed as some ecological and business ethics-oriented game. I'm jot playing it to learn more how corporations should treat our own planet better or to have visual evidence of how my own actions can have negative consequences on an environment. I think it borders on insulting the average player in assuming they're a total moron, a complete idiot, oblivious to our remarkably poor stewardship, when implementing a "feature" such as the grey terrain, attemptin to "force" some sort of "awareness" on the player when I'm sure most are already aware, and those who aren't are playing the game for recreation not to be treated like they need some "save the planet" education. Anyway, enough about that, because no matter the original intent, it no longer matters and is now moot. There's no reason to continue the grey terrain, at ALL.

With the introduction TAR and the new resource module, not only are we essentially dependent in many ways on digging up large chunks of soil, the game itself is now designed around the very notion of  strip-mining planets of their resources AND the soil too! It's now akin to some really bad hypocritical joke. Myself and many others feel it's time to switch back to the way things were in the beginning. If you removed terrain, but then added it back, it simply filled back in with the same color that was there previously, obeying all the different color stratification etc. It looked MUCH better this way, and for those who've I've seen say they like the grey because it "marks" wheee they've been digging or have changed things, my response would be to use the Terrrain Analyzer for this. However, that brings me to another point, the TA is also overpriced, to a ridiculous amount imho. It doesn't aid gameplay, and so there's really no reason I can think of to hike the price on this module. I also hope to see the Inhibitor and TA returned to the drop tables (if that's what to call them) for the underground satellite crashes (notably the Hubble) as there's such an over-abundance of dynamite down there. In conclusion, the grey terrain has always been an eyesore, but it's obvious now it plays no "teaching function" in the game, and I'd argue this really wasn't a suitable teaching point for a game such as Astroneer anyway. It's fine to introduce some science into the game, I'm all for that, but trying to force stuff like business ethics and other controversial topics into the game just doesn't "fit" imho that's not how the game is billed. Therefore it doesn't seem genuine in the context of Astroneer, a game which I totally love by the way. I know it's just my opinion, but I'm sharing my feedback as that's why we all participate here in the forums. 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, hodgsth said:

Great new content in the update, folks!  I'm just getting started so I'll most more feedback as I find things, but here's the first one.

I don't like how the backpack catalog module pops up EVERY TIME I use the backpack interface.  On PC I'm used to hitting the "Q" button as a simple toggle for backpack / not backpack.  Now It's really annoying to have 3 states every single time: (1)Backpack "closed" (2) Backpack "open" (3)Catalog module open.  repeat...

Can we keep the normal behavior toggling between (1) and (2) and only access the catalog module (3) when desired by clicking on that part of the backpack?  I understand that by including it in the default loop cycle people can't help but discover it and its uses, but I think you could raise awareness of it's use with tutorial style pop-up tips instead.

Lot's of great stuff in here too, just haven't gotten to reviewing that yet :D . 

Keep up the great work!