SES_joe

"Research Update" - December 18th, 2017

1 hour ago, hodgsth said:

Are you loading an old save or did you start a new one after the update?

I started a new one. I always delete old saves when an update is released. 

22 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

The best way to offset having chests of different values is to make them harder to find, so that the player can't rely on only the most valuable ones.

In fact, with the dynamic they're introducing of research bytes being "lost" if the research is stopped, I think that makes the lower byte chests more valuable.  Think about it.  If you have a high-value chest in there and your power runs short, you just lost a lot of research points.  But if it's a lower-value chest, then you might not lose as much.  And you can reach the same overall totals by hauling back a ton of smaller chests and just researching them one after the other.

There's no need to over-complicate the point system.

Actually, no it doesn't. Once the power is restored it will resume research without losing any points on the high-value chest. As for randomizing the chest with different values then what would be the point of having different looking chests.

By having different kinds of research points in these chest may require you to go to different planets and perhaps these chests would be protected by aggressive foliage.

13 hours ago, hodgsth said:

I've seen some items that are worth as low as a couple hundred bytes (common green blobs) all the way up to over 9,000 bytes (more rare tech-type ones).

17,640 for this sucker!!

400AC0A4-885C-4EDE-9ADE-7BCB3784216A.jpeg

This is a really great update guys! Good work! 

Edit: I really expected that it would use my Microsoft Display name as opposed to my actual name... Weird.

Edited by Jake Wojcik

I love the update.  It's slightly grindy, but research progress is now steady rather than luck-of-the-draw - much better!

Rovers are still  a problem.  I just had a 2-card rover train get into a furious fight with itself and then wink out of existence.  I posted some details in the Bug forum.  Despite the loss, it looked funny as hell!

41 minutes ago, Spacebyrd said:

So what exactly is 'streaming power'?

The need of supplying power constantly, rather than filling up an internal battery and executing the process on the press of a button. You know, just like fridges, microwaves and basically everything that's not mobile is working in real life.

26 minutes ago, Spacebyrd said:

So what exactly is 'streaming power'?

That just means that it will only perform the researching of an item when there is an active power source connected.  For example, if you only have solar panels connected to your base, when the sun goes down the platform stops the research process.  The research pod will remain inside the chamber, and when the sun comes back up the research platform starts again.  So your strategy should be to outfit the base with as many forms of power as possible... generators, solar, wind, batteries, power nuggets.

I have a suspicion that the devs will implement some kind of nuclear power for later in the game.  Like a low grade uranium found on one of the other planets, which then must be processed (similar to the Hydrazine Catalyzer) into a form usable in a reactor. 

On 18/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Pi_ said:

And Joe, while you're there, whisper in the artist's ear that magenta text on blue background is a no-no.

JxhC89s.jpg

Yeah, that combination of colours makes reading what amount of Bytes needed very difficult. What if you lightened the background around the numbers to a lighter colour, and make the numbers BLACK. The contrast should make it much easier to read.

Love the new update, but the new controls for opening/closing the backpack keep tripping me up. I like the inclusion of the backpack catalog, but perhaps a better control system please?

For reference, I play on Xbox One:

How about we return to the old mechanism for opening/closing the backpack, just toggling between the two states using the Y button, then use the B button in the exact same manor, but for the Catalog. So, Y controls the backpack and B controls the Catalog (for PC users, B is what we are currently using to close the backpack). This would make sense to me, as it means then that each thing is tied to its own button; Y for backpack, B for Catalog, X for Deforming Tool.

On 18.12.2017 at 8:45 AM, Pi_ said:

Well then, please go back and stop the artist who decided that compound, instead of resin, should be purple o.O

sincerely, I prefer the colors that were before. Its weird to see the resin yellow and compound purple, i prefer the resin the color it was and compound white

i want to report a "bug".

when you have the investigation chamber with out nothing it stills sucking power insted of distributing to other machines, 

bug astrooner.png

The rover physics is extremely clunky over small stones, I would say it was better a year ago. It's a floating physics, on a flat terrain good enough but far off from acceptable over a non-flat terrain in this state.

12 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Actually, no it doesn't. Once the power is restored it will resume research without losing any points on the high-value chest. As for randomizing the chest with different values then what would be the point of having different looking chests.

By having different kinds of research points in these chest may require you to go to different planets and perhaps these chests would be protected by aggressive foliage.

Yeah, learning that as I go.  That post was made while at work, just after hearing of the update.  It was a total shot in the dark.  Didn't get to try it out until hours later.

The point stands, though.  There is no reason for different kinds of bytes.  I mean, imagine a game where the in-game currency was dollars, pesos, francs, rubles, and yen, and you had to have a specific combination of them to get certain things.  They're trying to reduce the grind, not increase it.

They have made the higher-value samples harder to find, meaning you just about need the smaller ones to keep your numbers going in the meantime.

The whole system is a work in progress, of course.  There are still some big questions (maybe already in there, I'm still playing through).  After we've unlocked everything we want, is there any reason to keep researching?  I mean, this kind of establishes those as a type of currency to buy blueprints.  Why not on the trade platform too?  At a substantial markup, of course.  Can't make it too easy.

Still looking for that endgame motivation, too.

12 hours ago, FACR Dwarfy said:

17,640 for this sucker!!

[image edited out]

A silly question perhaps for the astros who have reached the point where they have the shuttle and can explore other planets. If you put such an item in the research chamber and lifted off for another planet, would the chamber on Terran still produce bytes, provided solar or wind energy?

Also, what is the use of the power graph? Mine seems to be stuck at the same position no matter what I do.

46 minutes ago, Eoghan said:

Also, what is the use of the power graph? Mine seems to be stuck at the same position no matter what I do.

The power graph will change if you add more power production.

With one generator working, half of it is full, with 2, the whole thing fills up and the research time is reduced.

I ended up putting two medium solar panels on each of my five research bays. Keeps everything running flat out, and my batteries charged, until the sun goes down each day. At one point producing over 600 bytes per minute.

At this point I haven’t left Terran yet, so can’t answer your first question 

5 minutes ago, FACR Dwarfy said:

The power graph will change if you add more power production.

With one generator working, half of it is full, with 2, the whole thing fills up and the research time is reduced.

Thanks for the answer, I need to have another look as the graph didn't seem to change when I un/re/plugged generators and solar panels. That and figuring out why power stacks can generate different amounts of bytes/minute (Bpm?), even when there is no other source of power in the grid. Still beats the old RNG model by a wide margin.

As you plug in different kinds of power, and obviously have them generating, you’ll see the module physically speed up too.

With one little solar panel, they hardly move, with two medium solar panels, they wiz around quite quickly

I love how the game turned out, after getting used to the new routines :) +it runs so smoooth that its crazy.

But the sound still bugs out.

On 18.12.2017 at 11:28 PM, Moonminer008 said:

But I miss to be able to research stuff and find out whats inside. Or research tech like the way it works in "ufo afterlight".

To grind for bytes seems unrealistic. Because what does we find? Why does the company want that researching? Arent we producing any data or stuff for anyone?

Besides from that, I still think this ^^^

By this current update, we arent messing around on our own, but work for exo dynamics and have to earn bytcoins.

We have no clue about whats inside the chest. And getting paid for each little part we scan seems illogical. If we toss the chest after 10 bytes of 1000 we still earned 10 bytcoins, but what use would exo dynamics have from that? In real world we would get paid after a larger part of the (for example DNA) was mapped. Or that a new resource was scanned and tested for a while. They dont need to know "yeah the soil contains some iron." They need to know in which minerals are the iron bound and in which concentration.

And if we find a chest from a crashed craft, the content should still be in our hands to use, unless its others property. Then we should store it and return it to its owners later. Now it just generate bytes that exo buy for bytcoins, and poof the chest was gone. What was inside? Hard drive with important data? Food? Tools? Gems?

Such a wonderful holiday present for the players. Indeed, the UI needs a couple of tweaks for better readability and usability but, overall, this is a brilliant update.
Congratulations on Alpha and a huge THANK YOU for the SES team for keeping up the great work!
Astroneer is one of the few games on the market theses days that gives me the thrills of pleasant anticipation on what the future has in store for us.
It inspires me more and more each time I start the game. Trully, a product made by intelligent people, with rich fantasy and a strong sense for science fiction for the very same type of people to enjoy.

10 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

Yeah, learning that as I go.  That post was made while at work, just after hearing of the update.  It was a total shot in the dark.  Didn't get to try it out until hours later.

The point stands, though.  There is no reason for different kinds of bytes.  I mean, imagine a game where the in-game currency was dollars, pesos, francs, rubles, and yen, and you had to have a specific combination of them to get certain things.  They're trying to reduce the grind, not increase it.

They have made the higher-value samples harder to find, meaning you just about need the smaller ones to keep your numbers going in the meantime.

The whole system is a work in progress, of course.  There are still some big questions (maybe already in there, I'm still playing through).  After we've unlocked everything we want, is there any reason to keep researching?  I mean, this kind of establishes those as a type of currency to buy blueprints.  Why not on the trade platform too?  At a substantial markup, of course.  Can't make it too easy.

Still looking for that endgame motivation, too.

Yeah, more I play it, the more I think it won't work.

The bytes are kind of reminding me of crypto currencies, requiring you to mine bytes. Maybe they should change it from bytes to Astro-bits and you'll be able to buy blueprints and other things with them.:D

How can I build a large storage? I did unlock medium and large storage but there is only a medium storage in my building (printer afaik). Is there a different building for large storage or where is it? Here a video:

Edited by mikk

1 hour ago, mikk said:

How can I build a large storage? I did unlock medium and large storage but there is only a medium storage in my building (printer afaik). Is there a different building for large storage or where is it? Here a video:

Large Storage is printed by the vehicle bay onto rovers or shuttles.

First, Very nice update. I like the new research process.

Maybe i didn't checked before, but i just discover on this update there is some wind on the moon.

In my mind there shouldn't due there is no atmospher

astronned.JPG