ikon

Tiered Oxygen Warnings

This is a pretty minor thing to suggest, but I figured I'd do it anyways. When hitting 50%, 25%, and 0% oxygen levels, the same red icon is shown. The text is obviously different, but the red icon makes them all look the same. The only reason I bring this up is because hitting 50% oxygen and seeing the same red icon that comes up when I'm out of oxygen can make me panic sometimes. So perhaps 3 different icons could appear at the three stages. For example, yellow at 50%, orange at 25%, and red when suffocating. Just a thought!

I know the UI popup is to help players understand why they die - and give them a heads up to their characters needs - but I would much prefer if the icon felt like it were telling the character more so than it telling the player.
I think to start with, you could use audio and screen affects to indicate suffocation instead of the popup. Then you could add to the existing UI element to show low values. If the blue bar on the backpack had a little bloom lighting effect,  it could get dimmer and dimmer the less oxygen you have, maybe changing color once it reached 50, and 25% (orange, and red respectively). Alternatively, you could have it start flashing slowly at 50%, and faster at 25%.

I like the usefulness of the popup, It just feels very placeholdery to me.

One thing though, I like the no UI part but such an important thing shouldn't be indicated by a glowy light.

Maybe have a LED change from flickering yellow to red etc....