So I don't know if similar threads exist, but this thread is for all discussion related to the devs plans to eventually add liquid elements to the game. 

I, for one, would love to see water on planets(seas, rivers etc), along with boats, floating habitats and also non water liquids, along with hydroelectric generators.

Add your suggestions/ideas/critique below.

Maybe they could add a Europa type planet and submarines and then I can role-play The Hunt for the Red October but with cosmonauts

My question is this:

Will the water mechanics be like minecraft in that a source of water will just spill out and spread to a certain degree, or will it be more dynamic allowing me to dig a trench from a lake and empty all the water into a cave.

14 hours ago, Minion0ne said:

My question is this:

Will the water mechanics be like minecraft in that a source of water will just spill out and spread to a certain degree, or will it be more dynamic allowing me to dig a trench from a lake and empty all the water into a cave.

I think a dynamic liquid system would be preferable. That's what I was thinking of when I said rivers. If the devs incorporate simple water cycles and such, we could even have acid rain hazards too. But having water as a survival resource would make it redundant since we already have the oxygen support system.

On 12/23/2016 at 10:50 AM, Nyx said:

I think a dynamic liquid system would be preferable. That's what I was thinking of when I said rivers. If the devs incorporate simple water cycles and such, we could even have acid rain hazards too. But having water as a survival resource would make it redundant since we already have the oxygen support system.

Water as a resource might be more important if they decide to make an option for oxygen to be limited- so one would have to use hydroponics and/or hydrolysis to get oxygen. (I personally hope for an option to do that, but not required)

Water is on the road map with physical terrain, long term. I guess they will use dynamic water, just considering the fact that you can deform the terrain, the water level/flow will adapt to it. It will be impressive to watch !! Besides, water would be interesting to have a game mechanic based on geothermal resources for example... 

it could make your game crash x100. (at least if its dynamic)

it would be a resource hog on your machine.

ofc doing something similar to MC and having a dynamic texture/gif would be cool and it moving around when things around it is updated.

Edited by Freddy

From the stream, it sounded like in the near future they wanted to start testing having a set water level (think of the planet having a set sea level for the entire planet) on some planets. They want to have more physics based solutions in the long term, but that will be the first step. 

yeah but that would completely set off the dungeons/caves.
unless they only does it for the surface?

again there could maybe be something placed around the height map they are using taking it from a top part and tries to spread it to the lower levels which would contain more (river to a lake).

Yeah, caves would be weird, but you could apply some sort of logic that the ground is like a marsh where water will flow right through the terrain, and any rocks are porous. Simply adding water means they have add boats, swimming, buoyancy, animations, effects, and how the tools interact with the water, water biomes, plants, etc. A ton of things to implement and solve, even before worrying about the simulation aspect of it.