blorgon

[Google Docs] Feature Suggestions Document

8 minutes ago, UnableQueso said:

The idea of more customizable bases and simple code-automated stations for mining, etc. has me drooling. Reminds me of what I used to love so much about Space Build in Garry's Mod, where your only limit was your own imagination and ingenuity.

Yep. The current node-based building mechanic severely limits the way a base can be organized. Like, you're basically forced to grind a crap load of resin to build out a bunch of interim nodes, so that you can build the entire skeleton of the base before you can build a printer or a smelter or vehicle bay, since those always have to be end-caps. Profoundly annoying.

Edited by blorgon

I like a lot of the ideas in here, and to add on for the base building, I think each station, like the printer, vehicle bay, trade platform, etc. should have a system like in some games where you give it the resources but it doesn't build instantly, instead, you could leave the station alone and it would take maybe 10-30 minutes to build depending on its importance. This would really help the satisfaction of progression and would allow you to plan ahead while it is being constructed. Who knows, you could implement a whole system where little flying robots would be animated to be working on the station and you could upgrade those bots to make the construction shorter. 

So, what you're saying for the tech tree is that with this "science currency" you would buy these different tech items and learn how to make them or get it instantly?

A very very nice document you created there ;)

I had a list of features in my mind but this document really makes adding my list totally useless. Very well done and keep 'm coming :)

As you already said, no weapons added. Maybe improved version of the 'play-doh-gun' like same output requiring lesser energy. Upgrading items etc.

Edited by Kositive

5 hours ago, Sebasino said:

I like a lot of the ideas in here, and to add on for the base building, I think each station, like the printer, vehicle bay, trade platform, etc. should have a system like in some games where you give it the resources but it doesn't build instantly, instead, you could leave the station alone and it would take maybe 10-30 minutes to build depending on its importance.

This is kind of what I meant by "more RTS-like base-building mechanics" in the base building section. Although I think 10-30 minutes would be a little on the long side, I do think things should take a little longer to build, and require more resources—I think a balance can be struck between having things be more costly to build (which would make getting them more rewarding and satisfying) and making things too grindy. Right now it's a little bit too easy to buy and build everything there is to build within about an hour of gameplay.

5 hours ago, Sebasino said:

So, what you're saying for the tech tree is that with this "science currency" you would buy these different tech items and learn how to make them or get it instantly?

So each research type (organic, liquid/gas, geologic, metallic, tech) would grant research points for those categories. There'd be corresponding categories on the tech tree on which you could spend those points. Say for instance you want to unlock a new hydroponics system for your greenhouse. Say it costs 3 organic research points, and 2 liquid research points. So you'd go out into the world, search for those research-items, bring them back to base to "research" them, and get awarded the points for those items. You could then go back to the tech tree and spend those points to unlock that hydroponics system.

I'm still trying to figure a way to have a tech tree while remaining consistent with the diegetic interface. I think it'd probably work best to have a separate module much like the current research module, but for selecting between the different tech items and unlocking them.

1 hour ago, Kositive said:

A very very nice document you created there ;)

I had a list of features in my mind but this document really makes adding my list totally useless. Very well done and keep 'm coming :)

As you already said, no weapons added. Maybe improved version of the 'play-doh-gun' like same output requiring lesser energy. Upgrading items etc.

Thanks for reading!

On 12/25/2016 at 11:08 PM, blorgon said:

Has anybody read through the tech tree section yet?

I wanted to make a note about the tech tree. I love the idea, but how would you implement that into a multiplayer scenario? What happens when you have one person who wants a different research and siphons off most of your points? And if you only allow the host to run the tech tree, then it robs the other players of a great deal of agency in the R&D department.

I think a more beneficial option would be a menu built into the existing research station to choose a specific "tech" to work towards. That way the entire group is either in consensus and it gives the players options on what order they think they should research the "techs" out. Granted there probably should be some locked behind previous tech walls, like not being able to get the drill until after the crane and the like. 

Edited by Shiro

-A feature I would very much like to see would be the ability to create the large storage platforms freely.

It would be too easy to run around with a maximum 32 slot carry without a vehicle though, so my fix would be to only be able to be carried by a player if it's empty. That way you can expand the storage capacity of your base while keeping it more compact.

On 1/4/2017 at 2:54 AM, Shiro said:

What happens when you have one person who wants a different research and siphons off most of your points?

I honestly don't see this happening unless you're in a lobby with randoms. Any time I play with people I know, we always talk through our plans and let each other know what we're going to do at any time. The conversation of deciding what to research would be just as simple as the one in which I tell my friend I'm going out for Resin, while they check out the cave nearby.

As far as playing with randoms, I'm sure something could be worked out.

all nice and fun but wait :0

i spawn somewhere without recin oh i cant do a damn thing and keep making saves untill i have a world with...

oh wait i can't find alluminium so no shuttle so no other planets or tanks

rip game

i must say that it all looks good though but i wouldn't make it to hard on weather conditions becouse i don't feel like making diffrent outfits to do some exploring, in cold and hot areas a certain setback would be good though

On 1/5/2017 at 1:07 PM, astroneer player said:

all nice and fun but wait :0

i spawn somewhere without recin oh i cant do a damn thing and keep making saves untill i have a world with...

oh wait i can't find alluminium so no shuttle so no other planets or tanks

rip game

I'm sure I understand what you mean.