blorgon

[Google Docs] Feature Suggestions Document

Recommended Posts

Copy-pasted the tech tree section I've been working on:

Tech Tree

  • I’m not quite sure how to tackle this yet, so this entire section will be in flux!

  • Instead of researchable items awarding a random “blueprint”, I’d like to see researchables grant an amount of some sort of basic “science currency” that can be used to unlock things in a tech tree

    • Research points should be awarded in an amount inversely proportional to the rarity of the researchable item

      • Extremely rare (astronium, planet/moon/asteroid-specific, crash sites) grants the most research points

      • Extremely common (tree fruits and gas plant roots) grants the least amount of points

      • Point amounts will also exponentially decrease for the same researchable item

        • Tree fruits, for example, will only grant some number of points the first time that specific fruit is researched, and every time thereafter, the points awarded from that same fruit should decrease exponentially

    • Instead of getting the blueprints for a spaceship after researching one of those rambutans, it would give you some amount of “research points” that you could spend on whatever you choose, provided prerequisites are met

    • Obviously the higher up in the tech tree you go, the more expensive the items get, and the more prerequisites are needed

  • Some branches of the tech-tree will be planet-dependent and specialized

    • For example, you wouldn’t be able to spend research points on wind power equipment if the research points came from items on a moon or planet with no atmosphere (because there’s no wind if there’s no atmosphere, so you shouldn’t be able to do research on wind power production!)

    • There would also be planet/moon/asteroid-specific resources that grant certain research points and unique tech (see Resources section)

    • This would require research item categories

      • Organic (tree fruits, roots, et cetera)

      • Liquid/gaseous (samples of ice/ocean/river/bog/hot-springs, gaseous thermal vents, gas plants)

      • Metallic (rare-earth items present underground)

      • Geologic (stone items)

      • Tech (crash sites)

    • Some unlockables in the tech tree should require specific types of research points

      • High-tech items (the ends, or tops, of tech tree branches) should require crash-site research points

      • Food-growing/farming tech should require organic and liquid/gaseous research points

  • The tech tree should be organized thusly:

    • Equipment branch

      • Smelters, refineries, storage

    • Vehicle branch

      • Rovers, trucks, monorail trains, cranes

        • Related attachments

    • Technology branch

      • Electrolysis machines, sabatier reaction device, 3D printer, batteries, automation programs

        • Size and capacity upgrades would be in the upgrade branch

      • Power generation sub-branch

        • Solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, fuel-based, nuclear

    • Upgrade branch

      • Deform tool and backpack upgrades, vehicle upgrades (capacity, speed, battery life), power production efficiency/capacity upgrades, tech equipment efficiency upgrades (increase yield on smelters, for example)

    • Farming branch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello blorgon,

So far I like your ideas, adding more complexity and general difficulty to the game would add more depth and content for players.

However, I think there is a point were the difficulty just gets a bit ridiculous for more casual players who are just looking for a game to play for an hour or so daily. Or players looking to hop in and play for an hour or two and feel like they accomplished something cool. Perhaps you could add to your (impressive) list a way to change between different difficulties that people could play at. The difference between difficulties being things like more minerals spawning, less complicated building in general, less complicated tech tree, etc. 

I think your ideas do have a great basis, but are geared more for hardcore players who really love to learn the ins and outs of the system. Which would be great for creating a community, but could potentially force out casual players who are just looking for a sandbox game about building and exploring.

On the side maybe the devs could add a bit of modding system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GlobalExtremePotato said:

Hello blorgon,

So far I like your ideas, adding more complexity and general difficulty to the game would add more depth and content for players.

However, I think there is a point were the difficulty just gets a bit ridiculous for more casual players who are just looking for a game to play for an hour or so daily. Or players looking to hop in and play for an hour or two and feel like they accomplished something cool. Perhaps you could add to your (impressive) list a way to change between different difficulties that people could play at. The difference between difficulties being things like more minerals spawning, less complicated building in general, less complicated tech tree, etc. 

I think your ideas do have a great basis, but are geared more for hardcore players who really love to learn the ins and outs of the system. Which would be great for creating a community, but could potentially force out casual players who are just looking for a sandbox game about building and exploring.

On the side maybe the devs could add a bit of modding system.

Difficulty levels are actually an entire section planned for the document, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I completely agree that not everybody would want to play my particular vision for the game, and not even I would probably want to play the most hardcore aspects of it all the time.

I've got a couple different ideas in mind for what kinds of difficulty levels could be implemented. Keep checking back, and thanks for reading!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came up with ideas concerning the flatten tool that, while not too useful in initially creating perpendicular walls, would allow easy and precise creation of floors of exact heights, walls of exact distance and perfect parallelism, and open a lot of doors to create bases that aren't all slanted and wobbly. You should take a look 

Also want to give a complete no to the starting backpack size being 4 slots, the current size is already too small lol. I know it's a bug, but i also like how you keep the two side slots. it's like a "I know you messed up, but at least you didn't lose everything" type thing. Means dieing isn't a complete mood-ruiner.

Edited by MCorgano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MCorgano said:

I came up with ideas concerning the flatten tool that, while not too useful in initially creating perpendicular walls, would allow easy and precise creation of floors of exact heights, walls of exact distance and perfect parallelism, and open a lot of doors to create bases that aren't all slanted and wobbly. You should take a look 

Also want to give a complete no to the starting backpack size being 4 slots, the current size is already too small lol. I know it's a bug, but i also like how you keep the two side slots. it's like a "I know you messed up, but at least you didn't lose everything" type thing. Means dieing isn't a complete mood-ruiner.

Take a look again at the document. I spent a little time last night working on an initial concept for difficulty levels and game modes. The 4-slot backpack would be part of the "Survive" mode, which would be the career mode, essentially. Players would start with a completely locked tech tree. There'd also be an "Explore" mode where players could choose how much of the tech tree is locked when they start.

So the 4-slot backpack would only be a thing in the harder game mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thermal vents could also have multiple tiers - A small "pop it on and it poops power" version and a larger "Connect this and other vents to a large generator" version for multiple, nearby vents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCorgano said:

Thermal vents could also have multiple tiers - A small "pop it on and it poops power" version and a larger "Connect this and other vents to a large generator" version for multiple, nearby vents.

Yep, agreed. All different power production types would have 3 tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree with the Aesthetics section, and that side-by-side comparison of "What planets currently look like" and "What planets should look like" really puts into perspective how cool the sky would look by obscuring the planets and stars a little bit, especially during the day :D That's been bugging me more than it should lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Commander John said:

I completely agree with the Aesthetics section, and that side-by-side comparison of "What planets currently look like" and "What planets should look like" really puts into perspective how cool the sky would look by obscuring the planets and stars a little bit, especially during the day :D That's been bugging me more than it should lol.

What's most frustrating is that the "should look like" side of the picture was a screenshot from a stream or a video or something. Like, it was in the game at one point—I didn't photoshop it or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added this to the difficulty/game modes section, since I totally forgot about food, water, oxygen, and rest (these are the customization options for the two game modes, exploration mode letting the player choose how much of the tech tree is completed, and how much, if at all, the basic needs are required, before moving on to fiddle with the settings on the left, if that makes sense):

073584be11.png

Edited by blorgon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GlobalExtremePotato said:

Hello blorgon

I've added a preliminary game modes/difficulty section to the document if you want to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, blorgon said:

I've added a preliminary game modes/difficulty section to the document if you want to check it out.

I saw it, looks good. Quick question, what is your opinion on things like space stations? Seems like something that could be included for things like refueling smaller ships or for things like longer trips between star systems.

Also how about stuff that you have to in buy. sell, and trade? After all the game is about a "gold rush" in the 25th century (from steam store page).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GlobalExtremePotato said:

I saw it, looks good. Quick question, what is your opinion on things like space stations? Seems like something that could be included for things like refueling smaller ships or for things like longer trips between star systems.

Also how about stuff that you have to in buy. sell, and trade? After all the game is about a "gold rush" in the 25th century (from steam store page).

A space station would be a pretty cool late-game mechanic, but it'd be pretty complicated. It'd either have to just sort of... show up in orbit, or you'd need to launch it piece by piece and assemble it.

Also, for a space station to be very practical, it either needs to take more fuel to get from planet to planet, or the distances between the planets needs to increase a lot. Otherwise, it's easy enough to bring more than enough fuel to get anywhere and back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I was thinking about while playing last night, when you put a solar panel or wind vane just out on the ground, the little base appears.

Since we can already send power through teathers, I this we should be able to connect these to a base, like place windvanes on a nearby hill via teather, you still produce power, but perhaps at a slower rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WestChief378 said:

Something I was thinking about while playing last night, when you put a solar panel or wind vane just out on the ground, the little base appears.

Since we can already send power through teathers, I this we should be able to connect these to a base, like place windvanes on a nearby hill via teather, you still produce power, but perhaps at a slower rate?

That's a great idea, but there's no reason the power would be reduced. I honestly would vastly prefer standalone power production modules that you could wire up to the base. Placing wind turbines on hilltops, or in valleys that naturally funnel wind would be awesome.

Also thanks for the bump!

Edited by blorgon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blorgon said:

That's a great idea, but there's no reason the power would be reduced. I honestly would vastly prefer standalone power production modules that you could wire up to the base. Placing wind turbines on hilltops, or in valleys that naturally funnel wind would be awesome.

Also thanks for the bump!

I was thinking at a slower rate based on immersion, a tether would not be able to transfer the same amount of power as one of the large 2 foot diameter hoses that connect the base in the same amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WestChief378 said:

I was thinking at a slower rate based on immersion, a tether would not be able to transfer the same amount of power as one of the large 2 foot diameter hoses that connect the base in the same amount of time.

Not necessarily. That's assuming the large diameter interconnects are transferring the maximum amount of power all the time, but if we want to get super realistic, I highly doubt that 20 turbines could produce more current than those cables could handle. Plus, I'm not actually talking about using tethers, but actual cables to connect solar arrays and wind farms to bases:

4ed3ef84c5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blorgon said:

Not necessarily. That's assuming the large diameter interconnects are transferring the maximum amount of power all the time, but if we want to get super realistic, I highly doubt that 20 turbines could produce more current than those cables could handle. Plus, I'm not actually talking about using tethers, but actual cables to connect solar arrays and wind farms to bases:

4ed3ef84c5.png

I guess this is true, as I connected a large solar panel to my base and it did charge significantly faster, I can see the merit on your side of this discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of more customizable bases and simple code-automated stations for mining, etc. has me drooling. Reminds me of what I used to love so much about Space Build in Garry's Mod, where your only limit was your own imagination and ingenuity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now