Bugs, additions, optimizations.

physixtential

First I want to say that there are so many things incredibly right with this game.

• The terrain tool
  • Art and lighting
  • Procedural uniqueness to every new game world
  • loot handling, backpack, interface on the world.
  • Audio effects
  • Outstanding polish put into subtle things, like how a storage unit fits on a truck.

I am sure that some of my suggestions aren't in line with your plans, but keep reading. Wide variety of points.

My list of suggestions and bugs:

• Habitat earlier in research.
    • Maybe after truck.
  • Shuttle should be researched
    • Maybe after habitat.
  • More important excuses to use the well made terrain shaping ability.
    • Currently the funnest use is to build a barrier against a storm. It feels necessary and useful.
  • Falling through the ground is obviously a really common issue and very easy to replicate by building terrain around yourself until it closes in.
    • When you die by falling through the ground, at least for now, move the body (backpack) to the planet surface above the location of death.
  • Console commands available to players during alpha.
    • There have already been many cases of hours of work lost for one reason or another when a fatal issue made someones save unplayable.
    • Subnautica is a good model for the kinds of console commands to include.
  • Building space stations with some helpful purpose.
    • Research, communications, power beaming from one place to another, etc.
  • Most importantly, and most difficult, we really need something that motivates us to generate our own content.
    • I've spent some time thinking about it, but I haven't worked it out yet, and I don't know the limitations of the engine and game design.
  • More reason to go to other planets.
    • Research, resources, etc only available there.
  • Research for upgradable suit and backpack
    • Make suit upgrades required to handle different planets
    • Maybe even just modules that have to be equipped to filter or block harmful things.
  • Upgrades to the terrain tool.
    • Extra functionality, faster, wider, etc.
  • Resource node markers remaining after all resources obtained.
    • Despite digging and absurdly large hole around the node, there are no more resources.
  • Destruction of modules and vehicles, obviously.
  • Compound the "horsepower" of connected vehicles so that trains works better, because they are fun.
  • Some in game list of things you have researched.
  • Run faster with mattergun holstered.
  • Some generated worlds have a lot of seams in terrain (places where the geometry doesn't align along the polygon seams.
  • Disable clicking a backpack when it is on your back.
    • We have Q for that, and it can be annoying.
  • Consume more oxygen when running.
  • Construction on suit should consume energy.
  • Is the delayed motion of objects carried by the cursor as fast as it can be while still not break the physics too bad?
  • Different button for pointing to something vs shift picking it up to your backpack.
  • Late game researchable method of field research.
    • Some way to research things in mines without bringing them out one by one.
    • Teleporter, backpack feature.
  • Autorun
  • Adding an ore block to the smelter while it is smelting causes and incomplete block to form on the output head.
    • Once this incomplete block is forces off of the smelting head by a different ore type, it becomes an uninteractable partial block on the smelters side inventories.
  • Storms should activate wind turbines.
  • 1-Seat made by vehicle assembler should be removable.
  • Optimization.
    • This game has the same issue RimWorld had, where you would spend hours on a wonderful save, only to have its complexity eventually make it unplayable.
    • It is fundamental to a game like Astroneer to have the ability to work on a single save and build a giant complex empire without end, like minecraft.
    • Memory leaks or something like them.
    • Whatever it is that makes restarting the game a good solution to performance drops.
  • Make objects stop running physics simulation after a threshold of low velocity.
    • For example, a cluster of energy when set on the ground continues to run physics when it is essentially sitting still.
    • A solution is to shut this off at low velocity until the object has a certain minimum force applied to it.

Patched!:

• S̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶.̶
    • T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶e̶l̶e̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶l̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶.̶
  • S̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶r̶g̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶(̶t̶r̶u̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶p̶s̶)̶.̶ ̶
    • P̶h̶y̶s̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶u̶p̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶y̶o̶u̶t̶u̶.̶b̶e̶/̶i̶_̶C̶I̶1̶m̶e̶9̶9̶9̶4̶.̶
  • T̶r̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶O̶P̶
Edited by physixtential