djbucko

Copper?

I feel like an idiot.  I've started 3 or 4 different games and I cannot find any copper, which means I can't build a printer, which I think is making it a bit hard to do much in the game.  Any tips on finding copper?  Screenshots of what it looks like in the game?  I've found tons of Malachite, which I think I can turn into copper with a smelter, but I don't know how to build a smelter.  So maybe I need to be asking about how to build a smelter too?  

Thanks for any help/info/tips.

Hey,

a. Check crashed ships / pods, they are spread across the map.

b. Check caves, there is plenty of ore there in spiky formations (I believe it's Malachite ore) which you can smelt into copper (build a smelter at your pod with resin).

Good luck!

The Malachite is copper ore. You can build a smelter by expanding out from your ship and then putting the one resin in and once that is built add the two resin and then you have the option to scroll through the different building options, one of them is the smelter. Once you have it built you can add up to 4 malachite to it and then once it is fully powered you can smelt it all into copper. One tip for the smelter, make sure you have all the four slots (or at least 3) on the sides empty so that the copper that is smelted has somewhere to go or you may have issues.

Thanks to both of you.  I didn't realize I could change what structure was being built next.  I thought I had to build the printer first, then I saw the big red arrows that let you cycle through the options for what to build.  

I had the same issue identifying that I could change the output of the initial Module to create a smelter. I messed with it for 2 hours to come to the same conclusions/results that Jaer003 provided. 

I had found Gamepedia's How to Play Guide for Astroneer, but was missing this precise information. To help others stuck in the same place, I updated that Guide earlier this morning to provide that guidance (section 3: Resources, Building, and Expansion).