hodgsth

Backpack Interface - 3D Printer Icons

With so many items you can 3D print from your backpack now, it has become cumbersome to manually arrow click through them to find the one you want.  In the attached image, you will see my proposal.  Between the left and right arrows, I suggest a 3rd (expand) button.  When you click it, a secondary window pops up below with all the available crafting items.

You can cursor over each one which will pop up the name of the item and what it takes to craft it.  Then, select from the window to either print directly or to collapse the expanded window causing the selected item to become the one now shown in the original backpack UI.

In the image you'll also notice I suggest a similar interface to management of the augments.  I imagine another pop-up window to the right with on / off check marks to choose which ones are active.  Since there are so many augment options, I also suggest them not taking up inventory space, but instead only "existing" in this new pop-up window after each is crafted.

Updated Backpack Interface.png

Nice suggestion; Too bad that this would make it inconsistent to the game design, which is based on "Dialectic UI", which is in TL:DR means: pop-up book > normal book

On 23/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, Lithium said:

Nice suggestion; Too bad that this would make it inconsistent to the game design, which is based on "Dialectic UI", which is in TL:DR means: pop-up book > normal book

I think you mean Diegetic UI?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiegeticInterface (And I'm suprised as you that TVTropes is the first Google hit!)

As in; the UI elements are 'perceived' by the character and not just visible to us, the player. They occupy space in the character's surrounds and are not constantly visible like a HUD.

Having said that, the existing arrows on the backpack are already not truly diegetic, so a menu would actually be really neat and not be too far out of place at all. Maybe a more streamlined/vertical method of the holograms for selection instead?

Perhaps we should look at this the other way. You drag a crafting ingredient in, the printer shortlist changes to available options for that item - so adding copper will only provide options for solar, augment, and boost. If you want a generator, remove the copper and replace with compound instead. That would partially negate the need for a menu.

I should also commend you @hodgsth for your clear and useful descriptive image! That's the kind of stuff I like to see!

Edited by Ben Sando

On 10/24/2017 at 6:15 AM, Ben Sando said:

I should also commend you @hodgsth for your clear and useful descriptive image! That's the kind of stuff I like to see!

@Ben Sando  Thanks, gatta love PhotoShop!  I appreciate the feedback :)