Xero

Zebra Ball dominates objects to interact with

Hi, I'm running a PC with Win10 and playing through Steam.

I know as of right now the marble balls are only Easter bu I believe they would make for excellent high tiered/ranked research items. But that's not my current issue with them.

Bug: When you find the Zebra Ball (I've found 3 of them within an hour or two of playing tonight) I've noticed that I am unable to interact with any other objects while it's around.  For example if I placed the Zebra Ball down in front of a Medium Storage, I am unable to highlight the Medium Storage or be able to interact with it until the Zebra Ball is some distance away (or out of screen). It's been the same for smaller objects as well, such as the ores, canisters etc. I also noticed I can't move anything over them. I have a hole dug with two zebra balls currently in it, but I had to kick the second one into the hole (which is just one regular cursor width wide). I am unable to place them together or even move one over the other. Also, when both are in the same hole, I'm only ever able to select one of the Zebra Balls, I don't have a choice between the two. I read that these marbles were to check the physics and lighting I believe their properties need to be tweaked and toned down so their behavior is that of a regular object, because as of right now they dominate the screen area. 

Also running via PC with Win10 and playing through Steam.

Exact same issues with the "Zebra ball"

I've seen that too.  It's why I haven't bothered collecting them in my newest save.  If I find one in the caves, I just dig a deep hole right under it and bury it.

(PC with Windows 8.1, Steam)

Somewhere on this forum, not sure which section I saw it in but I know it's around, is an amazing video a player posted explaining why these behaviors and observations occur. It's not a "bug" specifically, not in the way we think of other bugs with updates. The problem is these marbles have enormous hit boxes, it's really hard to fathom just how large they are until you see what he did, or reproduce the experiment yourself (which is quite easy).

Grab some dynamite (collect it or craft it, he did this in a cave and so did I). Go up to whatever marble you find, zebra balls are most common. It's probably easier to leave it partially embedded in the ground but you can let it roll about as well. Dynamite works well because it "sticks" to surfaces so in this case it "sticks" to the hit box which is otherwise invisible (I guess that's why, idk for sure, I don't really understand much of anything about computer programming). Take a piece of dynamite (you aren't going to arm it or explode anything, it's for "visual reference" ok?) and kinda "drop it" from a good bit above the marble. The actual hit box is I guesstimate 2 maybe 3 Astroneer characters in length sticking out in all directions (not exactly a radius, but hopefully you get some idea of about how far out the dynamite will be stuck to it). Like I said, the hit box is enormous on these things!

Now that I've seen it, it's no wonder people have issues with these things. I'm surprised there aren't more issues actually. I guess I've never noticed because I've never attempted to collect them or take them back to my base. FYI if you leave and come back later, the dynamite will pop off the marble (I can't recall if that was after leaving the game completely then reloading it, or if just leaving the area for awhile and coming back was enough, probably doesn't really matter but I suppose if you reallly needed that dynamite back...). Iirc the person who did this amazing demonstration was in a cave and had the zebra ball rolling around, and you could see the dynamite that was attached to it rolling around with the zebra ball as well! Hilarious! :P

Found one last night and had the same issue of the zebra marble taking prominence over everything else. Although quite interesting to witness, it got so bad that my friend and I ended up digging an extremely deep hole to cover it up/abandon it in. Maybe the hit box needs to be taken down a notch?

Here is the video another player and member of this forum posted which illustrates (quite ingeniously imho) exactly why people are running into so much trouble with these marbles, and just how big these hit boxes are. This is NOT my video, I am only providing the link (well I copied and pasted the link actually, the video just "showed up" on its own without my doing anything else lol) so I am I no way taking any credit for this wonderful illustration of the true nature of the problem. So everyone thank the author of this amazing informative video, now we all have a better grasp on the situation! Cheers :D 

Just remember it's NOT my video, and I really was just trying to post the link to it but I guess when you are writing a post and put a URL link in it, the darn thing is too intelligent and just grabs the content itself and automagically inserts it for you! It's incredibly convenient I have to admit, but I can't take credit for this, so let the person who actually made the video know just how amazing and incredibly useful their visual demonstration is! :D I know I'm a very visual person, and this really helped to explain things a lot even though I don't collect the marbles or take them near my bases xD I did repeat the "experiment" shown in a cave using some dynamite and one of the marbles, I have to say it's even more impressive when you're the one seeing it with your own eyes with your own character it is just amazing how large the hitbox is for these things (I'm guessing it has to do with their original, actually their only true purpose, that being in-game testing). Perhaps the testing process necessitated an object with a large hitbox? Hmmm, we may never know ;)