dorn

Alignment Augment a huge let down.

I was hoping this was supposed to finally make base building work.  I get that this augment has a purpose.  Building straight up and down is useful.  Curved walls are obviously useful too.  It doesn't solve the huge base building problem of uneven surfaces though.

All I want is a button to make flat walls and flat floors.  Is it that hard?  All I want is to pick the polygon of the habitat and expand it infinitely.   Completely 100% flat please.   The flatten tool is an abomination that doesn't even marginally fit the bill.

I have to agree. I love the concept of the augments. But the implementation is so clumsy as to be almost useless sometimes. Hopefully this will mature over time and trim down/collapse the number of choices and become the tools we need to build structures that aren't embarrassing to our kindergartners. 

Quote this here (from Aaron):

The Alignment Mod is kinda funky. There's actually two modes that it selects based on the angle of the camera. If you're looking out toward the horizon, then it aligns parallel with gravity. If you aim toward the ground, it aligns perpendicular to gravity (i.e., parallel with the ground).

So yeah, it does work, it's just a pain to figure out how it works.

Actually, the OP is correct.

It doesn't make flat.  At all.  Horizontally nor vertically.  It either makes curved walls or it makes curved floors.

If you were to start working on the floor and headed off in a straight line without ever letting off the trigger, you would wrap around the planet and come back to where you started.  That is not flat.  Its curved.

The vertical walls are not flat either.  They are vertical relative to gravity line but they form a circle.

This mod does not make flat walls. It does not make flat floors.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:18 PM, Wolfiesden said:

Actually, the OP is correct.

It doesn't make flat.  At all.  Horizontally nor vertically.  It either makes curved walls or it makes curved floors.

If you were to start working on the floor and headed off in a straight line without ever letting off the trigger, you would wrap around the planet and come back to where you started.  That is not flat.  Its curved.

The vertical walls are not flat either.  They are vertical relative to gravity line but they form a circle.

This mod does not make flat walls. It does not make flat floors.

Want a flat vertical wall?  Use the alignment tool to make a single column straight up.  Remove the alignment tool, and use the regular leveling mode of the terrain gun to make a flat surface from it.

Alignment mod is *supposed* to align with the gravity of the planet you're on.  Hence the name.

On 17.10.2017 at 3:45 PM, Indomitus1973 said:

Want a flat vertical wall?  Use the alignment tool to make a single column straight up.  Remove the alignment tool, and use the regular leveling mode of the terrain gun to make a flat surface from it.

Alignment mod is *supposed* to align with the gravity of the planet you're on.  Hence the name.

It's still not practical. Humans also build stuff on flat surfaces and not on a surface that follows the gravity field of earth.
I'm missing the idea behind making it that way and not straight up flat. Especcially when planets are so small, that you can notice the deviation from "flat"  immediately.

Edited by Shabazza

9 hours ago, Shabazza said:

It's still not practical. Humans also build stuff on flat surfaces and not on a surface that follows the gravity field of earth.
I'm missing the idea behind making it that way and not straight up flat. Especcially when planets are so small, that you can notice the deviation from "flat"  immediately.

You don't need an augment to do plain old "flat."  If you're playing on PC, just hold down CTRL.  The *entire point* of the alignment augment is to be able to make a relatively flat (not perfectly flat) surface that doesn't raise into the sky when you extend it.

Just wait until they add rain.. then you'll wish you'd built on a slope.. ;)

It isn't perfect, but it's getting there.  I'd say, be happy they are adding augments and a little less angry that they're not getting it perfect first time. 

Whilst perfection is something we all try to strive for, it is rarely anything we ever get.

In 1300+ hours in game I have built 2 of these Mods and found them useless to me after fiddling with them each for around an hour.   I keep telling myself that at some point the Devs will listen to the community and create a flat mod.... I would love to see it create a deform tool projection that can be scroll keyed to any increment of 15 deg. on a vertical tilt.... once that angle is set you hit and hold the Ctrl key and set the vertical tilt in 15 deg. increments.

Just to encourage this Mods development I will State that it is far.... very far beyond the abilities of the Company to develop......    

I find it a very useful mod.  Alignment + narrow mod allows you to rapidly build a wall, starting with a single pillar, then remove alignment and flatten piller and spread it into a wall.   It's also handy to digging straight down with a wide mod.   Or straight up..

I tried playing with the alignment augment several times with the 215 release. It can be used but for creating walls you are better off with the column and flattening with the cntrl option on the mining tool. Roofs take more work than I have been interested in doing. So far the best augments I have seen are the inhibitor and wide mod. The boost mod can be nice but you need good power generation or you run out real quick.

Posted (edited)

Use the alignment mode for a small pad below your feet (this makes level surface perpendicular to core) ... take mode off and use the standard Ctrl-button to make everything flat.

As far as useful - I use wide+boost ... its Extremely faster digging and much much faster at filling up canisters with soil.  In fact.. the wide+boost kinda makes the crane+drill feel weak...

Edited by nawlbergs

Where did this zombie thread come from?? Anyway, just to put this one to bed I'll second what Nawlbergs said. To make a perfectly flat surface you can use the alignment tool on a small area, then take it off and use the standard flatten mode to extend that surface. I learned this recently from someone on Youtube.

If you're looking for a neat floor originating under your shelter, just do this trick starting in the middle of the shelter. You won't really be able to see what you're doing but it should work.