SES_joe

"The Excavation Update" - October 12th, 2017

I get no organic generator recipe upon game start. Still have the solar recipe in my backpack.
And I also don't get an oxygen tank like someone mentioned. Only an inhibitor and a canister.

How do I get that generator? And yes, I am running experimental build.

11 hours ago, Shabazza said:

I get no organic generator recipe upon game start. Still have the solar recipe in my backpack.
And I also don't get an oxygen tank like someone mentioned. Only an inhibitor and a canister.

Is this fresh, new save? Or one of you're older, pre-215 saves? If it's the latter, then you might be screwed. The Devs did mention in the notes that up until now they have tried to allow for older game saves to still be usable, but not this time round.

If this IS a new save then I don't know why you can't print a small generator. You also shouldn't be able to print anything else yet either. Do you have at least one nugget of Compound? That's what you need to build small generators now, whilst small solar panels are now made out of copper (interestingly, both medium generators AND medium solar panels are built out of copper).

Hope your answer is somewhere there.

I landed on the Exotic planet in a new save.  LOVE that planet now.  Except one thing.  I can't find any resin to save my life.  I'm stranded, probably going to have to start growing poop potatoes....

23 hours ago, Shabazza said:

You said it - you are on experimental. It is at least weeks old, has an earlier version of terrain as a resource, no backpack tutorial, plus a bunch of bugs that had not been fixed yet.

8 hours ago, wondible said:

You said it - you are on experimental. It is at least weeks old, has an earlier version of terrain as a resource, no backpack tutorial, plus a bunch of bugs that had not been fixed yet.

You mean, EXP build is older than regular? Why that? I thought the EXP build is always the newest stuff.

But thanks for the hint.

5 hours ago, Shabazza said:

You mean, EXP build is older than regular? Why that? I thought the EXP build is always the newest stuff.

But thanks for the hint.

They do it differently than some other developers. Experimental happens at very specific times to test very specific things, and is not updated otherwise.

6 hours ago, Rob Grey said:

Still haven't found Master Chief, but I know he's here somewhere....

He was floating through space on the remains of Forward Unto Dawn after the Installation 00 campaign, at which point he was magically rescued by the Infinity and promptly put back into service with the rest of Blue Team to inspect the missing Argent Moon.

And NOTHING happened between those two historical points.

Especially nothing about the music.

Just opened Astroneer to find out the save I made yesterday was gone... 

It was a fresh game 215, played a couple of days, made a lot of save-load and now it is gone.

After a whole week of this update, I have some feedback I'd like to share. And let's start with the positive things because there's isn't many.

Reusable Canister.
This is pretty obvious, multiple use, indicator of capacity. Only thing I'd add, would be a means to empty them.

Hydrazine Catalyzer Module.
Wow, Ez-bake Oven, nice to have another way to produce hydrazine. The only problem I see with this module, is that it won't allow you to use partially filled canisters, so why not have it empty these canisters before refilling them. This would allow players to use any canister that is not empty.

Opening Deform Tool in the Backpack when equipped.
This is great, no longer have to click on the deform tool to open it up. Also thanks for fixing the augments that weren't locking down when the backpack was closed.

Printing from the backpack printer now draws power.
I don't know why it wasn't in the first place. Something I noticed when I ran out of power, is that you get a flashing red light. Hmm, how about a flickering headlamp instead, like you seen in haunted movies.

Gauge indicator on the Terrain Brush.
This is a great idea. another way to use this, would be to add a extra ring that would show the rover's battery levels when drawing power from it.

Truck & Rover.
Finally, we have pulling power, not as much on the rover though. I'm able to make steeper hills now. Beside that they still drive like crap, it's like a magic carpet ties with bungee cords while dragging a sled behind it. No longer do I worry about what direction I'm facing, once I start moving forward, that is now the front of the rover. Tired of fighting with it.

Well, that was a short list, let's get to the not so positive things.

The first one on this list is the Tutorial sequence. I was quite irate with this because of a couple of factors, the keyboard mapping been reset AGAIN. So I had to re-bind my keyboard and of course the game didn't change the new bind keys icons into the game and keeps showing the "old" TAB icon above the Habitat and so on. So I just ignore it like usual. The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure this was brought up back in January.

The whole thing about this is, why is the tutorial a priority all of a sudden. I know it's a update but really, don't they have more important things like content to be working on? There are plenty of Youtubers making great videos about this update. As for the Lock out's, I don't get it! It's not like you found this kit or pack when exploring. It's just there!

New Power Dynamic.
Deform forever? Why not, Oxygen forever too! We could take off our suits and run around in our undies and pick flowers for our small generator. But seriously, we're operating a powerful piece of equipment that deforms the terrain and doesn't require power. Kind of unrealistic, don't you think? This whole thing can be implemented easily by giving us the choice to start the game in different difficulty modes.

Onto the subject of portable power generation, I'd like to quote what @SES_joe said.
- Most people made small solar panels for their base and themselves within five minutes of every new game and never really had to think about power generation ever again.

And who's fault is that? It's not like you guys give us much of a choice. We used to have the small generator but it was removed and now you bring it back by swapping it in. And yes I know, once you unlock the Augment Power Pack, the small solar panel is back but really! Who thought that this was a cute idea?

But back to the choices of power generation, this could be remedied by allowing players to choose what planet they start on because right now, it's always the same planet every time we start a new game. And if these planets had different climates like windy, cloudy, extremely humid, hot, cold & even gigantic vegetation that blocks the sun. This would create new challenges and obstacles when it comes to power generation.

Drill head fills connected canisters.
This is kind of silly, using a drill head to fill canisters. Why not design a new attachment for the crane that is similar to the deform tool but in a bigger version instead.

Indicator slots can now pull resources from Deform Tool in addition to the the Backpack.
That's all fine and dandy, but it also needs to be able to push these resources out too beside just what's in the backpack.

Adding or flattening terrain requires "soil" in canisters.
I really don't care to tie up my backpack with canisters or even my deform tool. How about giving us a new deform tool with a built-in canister and when it's full, it will transfer the extra soil into canisters in your backpack.

And last but not least, We've got Terrain As A Resource, also known as TAR.
Now this is just plain ridiculous, like I've mentioned in the experimental 002 thread.
This is nothing more than another version of the Trade Platform, instead of trading resources for other resources, we're now trading DIRT for resources. The fact is that a lot of us are literally drowning in resources, we don't need more of the SAME! What we need, is something to DO with all these resources that we've collected. If you're going to use sediment, how about use it to produce glass or something else.

Well enough of me ranting about this update, time to go back and play some more.

After playing the new update on Xbox One for a good week. I think it is great. 

I do have a few new sound issues with dynamite after the update, sometimes the count down beeps do not play, and there is never an explosion sound when it goes off. 

Soil 

Soil as a resource is a grand idea, however it may need nerfed a tad. Seeing it took a dozen or so chests to find medium storage you can quickly have a mountain of resources laying around. One thing that could may be done is for titanium and lithium, maybe have it where you can only use soil from other planets like Arid. And have it where different soil types yield different amounts of resources, like the snow on the peaks of mountains will only yield ammonium.

Hydrazine Catalyzer

This is a great way to make fuel, only thing it needs is. When the canisters are full they should drop down to the side. Oh and the ding when its done, that is awesome.

Research

This could use some more tweaking, it gets a little boring when the first 20 chests pretty much are blueprints. If you get to one of the massive caverns under ground within an hour or so you already have most of the things you need. 

Maybe spread out the unlocks more, like every 5th chest is a blueprint, or limit the number of chests on any given world. Hopefully in the future you would only get specific items on certain planets. Forcing you to explore further because with the way things are now you really do not have to leave Terra if you don't want to. 

The large Rover works fairly well now and seems more stable, I don't bounce around like a beach ball on a windy day from hitting a small bump lol. Only thing  it could use is to have a break. Don't know how many times I drove up the wall in my base because it wouldn't stop. 

Performance seems to have improved greatly, l do not get as much lag on the Xbox as before. The only real time it gets bad is when there is a sandstorm around or over top of you, even when under ground. But that's understandable. Only major performance problem would have to be the physics range can get buggy some days where things don't load in and have had times when running the game would stop the Astroneer dead in its tracks. The same thing will happen when driving a rover as well. 

Another thing is how the tethers deploy when you are walking while using the deform tool at the same time, they have a tendency to deploy off the ground at an angle in the air at backpack height. And have had a few instances were I got stuck on the tether and had to put the deform tool away and pick up the tether.

All in all this was a fantastic update and I like the progression the game is taking. Keep up the amazing work, and look forward to what the future brings. ??

Just got Patch 219, but I don't see a Patch Notes or new topic? Hello? Care to share some new info folks? :P I'm sure we're all dying to know what cool stuff might have been added, tweaked or at least bugs squashed and glitches tamed etc. Thanks! Love Astroneer! :D 

Edited to add, I'm on X1

Edited by Shadow Echo

10 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Just got Patch 219, but I don't see a Patch Notes or new topic? Hello? Care to share some new info folks? :P I'm sure we're all dying to know what cool stuff might have been added, tweaked or at least bugs squashed and glitches tamed etc. Thanks! Love Astroneer! :D 

Edited to add, I'm on X1

There have been a few tweets about "4k" support for the XBox One X, whatever that means.

3 minutes ago, wondible said:

There have been a few tweets about "4k" support for the XBox One X, whatever that means.

Ah, of course! Today is the world premiere Xbox One X! I totally forgot :)

It appears to be only the Xbox version which has changed. It is more than likely just because of the 4K ability of the Xbox one X.

i haven’t been able to find anything different, other than appearance, in my save on my Xbox X