SES_joe

"The Excavation Update" - October 12th, 2017

I cant see a different using the boost mod or not?! Equipped on the upper slot on the "Exer". Am I am doing somethiing wrong?

Carsten

I just had a 'bug', (presuming it's not actually a feature...) where I was unable to deform anything; and I had a large red X in the centre of the deform ring instead of the dot pattern.

I had to close & restart the save to fix it. Not had it since, and still have no idea of the original cause. This was over any colour terrain, plenty of power (even though not needed), no augments.

Perhaps it has to do with multiplayer & claiming land areas for specific people?? Or otherwise 'undeformable' terrain like Astronium deposits etc?

I haven't really played to long on this new update, But I'm looking forward to the changes. Always felt things were a little to easy and not challenging enough. Its going to take some getting used to the changes, but it will be fun at the same time. Liking the tutorial to start things out by the way. (Well after a mini freak out seeing only a small generator in the backpack at first) Great job with this update, keep up the great work ??

Oh and I would like to add. Seeing you're  diligently working on Terrian2.0.. I would love to see more diversity in landing zones when entering into a new game, like maybe on the side or top of a mountain or in a deep chasm, or getting to choose the landing area would be great. ?

2 hours ago, Ben Sando said:

I just had a 'bug', (presuming it's not actually a feature...) where I was unable to deform anything; and I had a large red X in the centre of the deform ring instead of the dot pattern. I had to close & restart the save to fix it. Not had it since, and still have no idea of the original cause. This was over any colour terrain, plenty of power (even though not needed), no augments. Perhaps it has to do with multiplayer & claiming land areas for specific people?? Or otherwise 'undeformable' terrain like Astronium deposits etc?

Not a bug, they reworked the deform tool: you can dig as much as you want, but to "put terrain" (ctrl/alt + click) you need to actually collect the terrain in a canister.

Just craft a canister (1 resin) and always bring it with you. Also, digging no long consumes power:)

Edited by xeryan

These are the updates we were looking for!   Now, if I could just find those darn droids...

:)

Not sure I'm up with the terrain as a resource thing though, too bad it's not optional.  I still argue this game needs options to tweak the difficulty for the individual player.  A wider audience would come if that was possible.

Aaah, completely lost :D. TAR is not the solution for everything. Went arid with loads of resin and compound, made a mistake. Indeed, made a sediment filter, but have no sample anymore. No fuel to go home, no resources to build a fuel condenser or something, quite tricky *g*. Like it :D. 

Now flew to two new landing spots, at the moment I do have 3 resin which would be enough to build one pod, which I would need to process fuel, have not found any compound. And even if I would, if I fly back, still no compound sample *G*. Nice unexpected challenge :D

Edited by reto

Excellent update. More to do, Rovers working better. More gear to make it interesting. Would like to see mineral extractor do less items. The trade platform does make it easier, maybe a bit too easy to just trade (for example on Barren). Where you just mine coal which is common there, and trade for literally everything you need. Mining kinda becomes obsolete when you just need coal to trade, and your loaded with resources. Maybe different game modes for difficulty?

On 10/12/2017 at 8:55 PM, Mak-a-Face said:

WTF!!! where's the small solar panel & tethers? All I get, is the small generator. I don't want the small generator, I never use it. What ever happen to having a choice in building what you want. Why do you guys keep BREAKING this game. You're going to completely remove any challenges and motivation to be creative in this game.

The question I keep asking myself, is why hasn't anyone been FIRED yet!

Holy baby Jesus, you should read the notes before diving into the game. I mean, at least glance at them or something...

Been waiting for this update to hit live ever since experimental. Terrain as a resource along with the new Mineral Extractor Module (those new animations are awesome) are the best new features yet, thank you! Not only does the new mechanic allow a different way to produce some resources but it also kills 2 birds with 1 stone, as in sculpting terrain now has a valuable byproduct -soil. I honestly used to loathe having to carve up the world because it had no real value in the end scheme, now it does.

Thanks for the new sounds as well, as much as I like the chill music, I've turned it off to enjoy all the new ambient noises -especially in the caves.

Looking forward to Research 2.0 and the Modular system. Keep up the good work.

This update took the game to a whole new level :) I absoulutely love this version. Only minus on my test checklist so far is, the bug fix "[AS-1516] - Fixed an issue where audio occasionally did not play when removing terrain" isnt fixed for me.

My computers specs:
I play on steam, with Windows 10.
Logitech G110 keyboard, Logitech trackball instead of mouse.
CPU is Intel i5-6500, GPU is Radeon RX 480.
32 GB RAM.

Edited by Moonminer008

1 minute ago, Moonminer008 said:

This update took the game to a whole new Level :) I absoulutely love this Version. Only minus on my test checklist so far is, the bug fix "[AS-1516] - Fixed an issue where audio occasionally did not play when removing terrain" isnt fixed for me.

yeah there are audio issues for me too, sometimes some audios did not play

Didn't think to record first impressions, so I'll just run through the patch notes and comment on things I think of.

Canisters: I played experimental, so not a lot of surprises here. I did like the gauge on the end which keeps the amount visible from most angles.

Mineral Extractor: Again, nice refinement from experimental. I was a little confused why it need both a menu and a sample. The sample is clearly there to you can't just immediately get lithium etc. I guess I can see the menu mostly as a teaching aid, and as a reference mode for seeing the exchange ratios. I really like the way the gauge scales to show how the exchange ratios work.

Hydrazine Catalyzer: Didn't notice any functional differences from experimental.  Obviously looks and sounds better. Also: the new modules feel a little larger that the old ones, while the battery gauges are smaller and harder to see.

Boost Mod: Cute way to change the system without changing the system. I don't notice a huge difference when using, but sometimes I do want to make more gentle changes, so it's nice to be able to turn it off.

Fuel Condenser: Didn't notice any changes from experimental, but it is a nice: just load a rack of canisters and forget about it (until you run out of power :P )

Power: Free deforming seems a little unrealistic, but works well in the game. Trickle charge was nice, but was clearly a bit of a special case, and this makes power a little more serious. Backpack printing power actually seemed a little odd before, and I kind of expected it when deforming stopped drawing power.

Portable Power: I missed the generator for early game nights (and sometimes getting started on Tundra and other planets) Provides a little more of a roughing-it feel to early game, and makes organic a little more relevant. Feels like the run time was extended, but I haven't been using it a lot recently. Copper for solar will take some getting used to, but for free and predictable (if not totally reliable) power it seems fair.

Drill/Crane: Patch notes didn't mention that the drill could put regular nuggets on connected trailers - maybe I missed that one earlier. Drill seems way more useful now - seems to work well with equal parts empty storage and canister storage to really go to town. Even works with just small rover bodies - I used to consider the only practical arrangement a large rover with a seat and a sacrificial storage for all the partials.

Soil Hose: Have not noticed this animating, so I'll need to keep an eye out for it.

Soil Gauge: Pretty neat, although I hardly notice it most of the time - the way the target sticks to the terrain often stretches it into unreadability.

It will take some time to get used to the backpack/tool behavior - my fingers are still used to the backpack canceling the tool, etc.

It seems odd that tool slots are available for quick pickup but not for mining overflow.

Have not died yet :P

Tutorial: Not obvious it was a tutorial, which would enable more things when complete.

New music will take getting used to. I've had a few audio glitches where rover sounds would not be playing initially for instance.

Yay, no more holo-cable disruptions. Still seems to be a distance mismatch where the holo cable appears but clicking to create will cause an immediate disconnect.

Rovers are feeling a lot more like the early versions. Trailer chains are a lot more practical. Still go into reverse really easily and often without intending to, but I've not noticed that reverse is easier to handle as before. Still want to be able to look around while continuing to drive forward.

LOVE the update! The Rover still bucks sometimes, but it's far less and usually reserved for when you have a research on the back. Come to a complete stop and it seems to reset a bit, so a vast improvement.
I still think tethers break far too easily. Smoothing ground near-ish causes them to fall over, even though I'm not near it. And it stops a rover dead.
The research seems far more streamlined and not so impossible. I'm finding important things before hitting the 200 research mark now - much better and less 'I'm gonna punch this game'.
The soil thingie is taking some getting used to, but I like it. It makes sense and the impossible 'making soil out of nothing' has been removed, so adds a bit more reality to it.
Nice update, thanks for it!

On 10/12/2017 at 5:53 AM, SES_joe said:

[AS-1720] - Driving past conduits on Rovers no longer pops attached objects off the front and back connectors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!1

I will kiss each member of SES (cheek or lips, your choice) for this one!

I have been very pleasantly surprised by this patch..... Favorite things:

1 Fixed the ends of rovers and bases dropping attached items.... YEAH!

2 Sounds..... need I say more...............

3 The Crain/Drill Head...... and canisters filling multiple attached vehicles and astroneers storage...

4 Animation on the Soil Processor.... Awesome

5 80% fixed Vehicles handling 

I'm sure there's more but those are my favorites.

OK, after playing a few hours (would love more, but work, life, etc... yuck)  I'm getting into the terrain change.  The mix of up to down ratios seems quite good.  And those storms!  Wow, much more intense.  No debris any more though.  I kinda prefer that....

Good work for the update. I love this game, i often playing (more than 700 hours). I think there must be a logical progress in the game : Just around the begining spawn, there is all ressouces you need to build a complete base with all modules, large spaceship and large rover, etc...  So why do yo you need to go on others planets? Explore? what for?

Maybe a logical progress can be interesting. For example :

you can only go to moon with small spaceship

On the moon, you can find ressearch for large spaceship (Not on earth, only on moon)

Go back on earth to build large spaceship

So you can go on Barren (for example) where you can find ressearch for drill (only on barren)

Etc, etc....

It is juste an idea to give good reasons to go on others planets and include a kind of "progress" in the game.

I don't know if it's clear... I hope !

This update is awesome !!!

I love the new modules and the new process for the fuel

But, i still to encounter bug below :

- Keyboard mapping is not keeped after game restart

- Broad & Narrow Mod work like Inhibitor

- Medium rover driving still crazy (and i didn't yet drunk :P )

- Some game crash

Thanks

Youd

Edited by .:[LTF]:. Mr_youd

Awesome update ! Love it everything very well balanced.

Just one thing, the rovers. Can the controls be tied to the triggers for forward and backwards movement on controller. Gets confusing with the control stick, because movement changes depending on where the camera is facing. Running backward when pushing forward and then waiting for a complete stop before it will start to go the right direction is very difficult.

Good stuff. Love the new terrain system and the way the drill/crane works now. 

For those complaining about tethers being obstacles again, they make good guard rails on ramps and cliffs if you put them close together.