Nowhereville

Droid Companions

A low levitating robotic disc with a two slot attachment on top so you can swap in and out augments for it.  The droid has a default mode of simply following the player and you can use the two slots on top to store a couple of resources.

Or, you can slot in augments such as:

- Turret for offensive behavior

- Shield projector for defensive behavior

- Sniffer - you can attach one resource to it and the droid will lead you to the closest matching node, consuming the attached resource on arrival.  The droid would never get 5 or more paces ahead of the player.

- Tow mode... attach a winch to the top.

- Battery mode... attach a battery that will tether to the player

- O2 mode... attach an oxygen tank that will tether to the player

- Pack mule mode... attach an additional storage pad

On top of this, you could attach an AI Controller to the two snaps on the habitat module to convert the companion to a base droid:

- Roomba/Zamboni mode - the droid will flatten the terrain under all base modules to be the same level as the habitat, and clean any debris from storms

- Sentry mode - it will protect the base area

- Hearse mode - it will seek out the players corpse and return its backpack to the base

= Tow Truck mode - attach a winch to it and the droid will go out and tow back the nearest stranded vehicle

etc, etc.... you get the idea...

I love it, It would also be really cool if it could deliver stuff to your base. 

-Postal mode - Two slot delivery to your habitat.  you could put research or resources on it, and have it deliver it home, then return to you.

I picture a droid seat attachment for vehicles where it will travel with you and you could keep multiple augments on storage on the truck.  Then you can slot in whatever augment best suits the situation when you go on foot.  Possibly a modifier for the pack mule augment would be that when he gets full and if he has a droid seat on the truck, he will run resources back to the truck and return to the player.

Edited by Nowhereville

There are some similar ideas there... I was thinking about this before I crashed last night, and just blurted it all out on the forum when I woke up, quickly because I had an appointment to get to.  I should have searched a little bit first.

Glad to see more topics like this :] hopefully if enough people ask for some type of robot companion, it'll be implemented in the future.

+1 for this, a little useful little droid following you would be really cool. Maybe you could attach him to your spaceship and vehicles and he turns into a little astromech droid.

Recycler Mode - Place a recycler augment on the droid, and then attach a recycling target item to an object to have the droid destroy it and return a portion of the resources that were used to build it originally

I don't know about different classes of droid.  Going that route may make it overpowered because you could have more than one droid at a time.  I think being able to only have one droid at a time might keep it more balanced, because you have to decide what its one function is.  A dedicated Droid Manufacturing Station as a two resin pad option might make sense, where you can only build the main droid component initially.  All of the possible companion and base droid augments would need to be individually researched and then built.  Functional items such as the offensive turret, O2 tank, etc may take damage or decay through use and need to be rebuilt if they are destroyed/Used up may also help with balance.

Sounds like a great idea, +1. Although I am not expecting this kind of addition for quit some time and if they do it would probably only start as a follow along friend. Which I would be happy just to see a pet. It gets so lonely on the planet alone.

yeah, this would be great.

with a little animation when you point at something that it looks at what you pointed at, then back at you, then back at the thing.

i don't know about hovering though, i'm picturing a 6 legged bot myself :) 

GPS Mode - An on-screen compass w/ cardinal directions and pips for Home Base and Beacons. This could be added in two ways.  One, it could be an attached augment like all of the other companion modes, or two, it could be an automatic state that the droid enters when it is in its vehicle docking station/seat. 

15 hours ago, Nowhereville said:

A low levitating robotic disc with a two slot attachment on top so you can swap in and out augments for it.  The droid has a default mode of simply following the player and you can use the two slots on top to store a couple of resources.

Or, you can slot in augments such as:

- Turret for offensive behavior

- Shield projector for defensive behavior

- Sniffer - you can attach one resource to it and the droid will lead you to the closest matching node, consuming the attached resource on arrival.  The droid would never get 5 or more paces ahead of the player.

- Tow mode... attach a winch to the top.

- Pack mule mode... attach an additional storage pad

On top of this, you could attach an AI Controller to the two snaps on the habitat module to convert the companion to a base droid:

- Roomba/Zamboni mode - the droid will flatten the terrain under all base modules to be the same level as the habitat, and clean any debris from storms

- Hearse mode - it will seek out the players corpse and return its backpack to the base

= Tow Truck mode - attach a winch to it and the droid will go out and tow back the nearest stranded vehicle

etc, etc.... you get the idea...

all of these actually seem like amazing ideas, except the sentry and turret mode because what is there to defend from? but, if this were to be implemented, it would have to be hard to get because it seems a bit OP to me. But still a good idea

Yeah, I kinda jumped ahead on a few of the ideas, but I figure that community suggested content would be addressed later in the development schedule, and their road map already lists the addition of hostile AI enemies and the like.  So. it should be supported by future planned features.

And, I agree that these technologies should be difficult to get..

Edited by Nowhereville

I wanted to transfer all of the ideas to the initial post and keep that updated, but since I can't edit it, I'll consolidate everything here:

The player can construct a new base facility called a Droid Manufacturing Station.  Initially, the player can create a low levitating robotic disc with a two slot attachment on top.  The droid has a default mode of simply following the player and you can use the two slots on top to store a couple of resources, or you could attach augments to the droid to make it more specialized.  There would be a new seat item you could craft for vehicles called a "Droid Docking Station" so that the droid can travel with you.  That way, you could also have multiple attachments for the droid in storage on the vehicle and you could swap them out as needed while you travel.  

Possible augments for the companion droid:

- Offensive Mode - attach a Turret 

- Defensive Mode - attach a Shield Projector 

- Sniffer Mode - you can attach one resource to it and the droid will lead you to the closest matching node, consuming the attached resource on arrival.  The droid would never get 5 or more paces ahead of the player.

- Tow mode - attach a winch to the top.

- Segway Mode - attach a standing set of handlebars with footholds at the base to the droid.  You can ride the droid to slowly levitate up steep inclines, and avoid fall damage.

- Pack mule mode... attach an additional storage pad.  Possibly deliver items back to the vehicle if you have a docking station attached when the storage pad is full then return to the player.

- Recycler Mode - Place a recycler augment on the droid, and then attach a recycling target item to an object to have the droid destroy it and return a portion of the resources that were used to build it originally.  Possibly have this work on discovered items while exploring (ie. crashed space ships, etc.)?

- GPS Mode - An on-screen compass w/ cardinal directions and pips for Home Base and Beacons. This could be added in two ways.  One, it could be an attached augment like all of the other companion modes, or two, it could be an automatic state that the droid enters when it is in its vehicle docking station/seat. 

- Postal Mode (Cyberhedz) - two slot delivery to hour habitat.  You could put research or resources on it, and have it deliver it home, then return to you.

On top of this, you could attach an AI Controller to the two snaps on the habitat module to convert the companion to a base droid.

Possible augments for the Base Droid:

- Scout Mode - attach a couple of beacons to the droid and he will go out and mark a couple of random places of interest.

- Tow Truck mode - attach a winch to it and the droid will go out and tow back the nearest stranded vehicle

- Da Vinci Mode - attach a paint sprayer to the droid to custom paint your base.  Different themes could be individually researched.

To keep this balanced, the player can only ever have one droid at a time. All of the base and companion droid augments would have to be individually researched and fabricated.  Also, most augments should be used up or destroyed through use so that the player would need to fabricate replacements occasionally.

If you have any other ideas for Base or Companion droid augments, please share them!

Edited by Nowhereville

I wrote similiar idea in my topic but with Drone

Drone with different operating modes. Some examples:
- standby mode - drone with mounted energy weapon, protecting area from space pirates, alien creatures etc.
- tracking mode - would follow and assist the player, for example he could move light objects and follow player to base.
- search mode - could scan some area from above and send data to holo table or player*.

*IDEA FOR MAP: Table with hologram on base which can display collected data from drone.

If weapon is attached
-friendly mode, protecing from only aliens
-hostile mode, protecing from aliens, players (Excluding friends)

So for example: imagine Drone with tracking + friendly  mode and mouted weapon.

I suggest you to simplified your ideas. Instead of around 20 modes it should be for example 5 but with diffrent combinations.

I really like your idea with Roomba (cleaning) mode, I hate damn stones around my base etc.

Edited by DragonAstroneer

I hear ya... simpler is usually better.  But one of my favorite parts of the game is the way they have set up the research system.  Adding a bunch of different augment options that can only be discovered through research makes the game more fun for me (so its probably a selfish idea), but making the functionality of the droid limited also keeps it from becoming overpowered.  I'm with ya on the base debris... lol... after working so hard to get it looking the way I like it that drives me nuts.

Edited by Nowhereville

On 12/22/2016 at 4:47 PM, EmperorNero said:

Awesome idea! 

I'm imagining a low poly k2s0, that'd be really cool.

5A2D4C6D-2D11-4B38-A40D-ECD7A382246E-4130-00000207B8A2A99B_tmp.png

I think I would prefer a droid with an overly hopeless and depressed attitude... I will name him, Marvin.