SES_J

Steam Patch 0.2.109.0 Live on [beta] Branch. Please help test!

Hey Everyone!

I've just put a build live to the [beta] branch, which you can opt into with Right-Click-ASTRONEER, Properties, Betas.  As always, please only do this if you're willing to put up with things like broken save games and generally buggy behavior!

If you'd like to help us out, play 0.2.109.0 in the beta branch and look for any new bugs that you are unable to find in 0.2.108.0 on the live branch.  Please ONLY comment if you know for sure that you've found a bug that only exists in the new build (not just an already existing bug). If we're confident that we haven't broken anything big in the new build, and it is an overall improvement, we'll push this to the main branch!

Here's the list of things to look for in the new build!

• Fix issue where resources hover out of backpack on loading save.
  • Allow the 2 backpack Expansion Slots to be used for Filters/Tanks/Tethers
  • Fix bug that would not allow a full Oxygen Tank to rescue an Astroneer from suffocating
  • Fix exploit the would allow players to trade for infinite resources by thieving them like a pirate after launching
  • Cut the value of Fuel in the trade module by half
  • Increase the amount of time a trade takes on the trade module
  • Double the power requirement and production time of the Condenser (Probably more we should do here to make it even less OP, will consider changing up the fuel mechanic in the future)
  • Fix most (if not all) of the cases where placing items on a storage on a truck would cause all kinds of flying physics behavior.
  • Fix bugs that would allow player to make building platforms even after the conduit hub has been branched
  • Change the Shuttle/Spaceship hub to be the same type as the habitat
  • Allow Shuttle/Spaceship to reattach to previously created hubs
  • Improve algorithm that picks the height of new base platforms, allowing for flatter bases
  • Fix creepy T-Pose corpses that everyone's been finding :)
  • Fix being able to pick up your own seat while seated inside
  • Fix being unable to leave an unattached seat
  • Add ability to get in a seat no matter where it is attached
  • Add ability to get in printed Habitats when they are attached to shuttle/rover
  • Fix bug on Habitat that would generate crazy flying terrain if attached to rover after save load
  • Fix the Popper Hazards spawning new research items on every save load.
  • Attempt at a fix for the joining client in MP games being unable to click launch buttons with mouse.
  • Fix for controller cursor disappearing on host when client joins
  • Fix for Inverted controls also applying to cursor motion

After we get 0.2.109.0 on main, we'll migrate these notes to the Patch Megathread and archive this one.

And by the way, if you don't know me, I'm Jacob!  I lead up the design over here at System Era.  I'm starting to whittle down on all of my big buggy issues from launch and so I promise you I'll be starting in on more gameplay discussions here as we move into the phase of rebalancing existing content and adding new features. So please leave your requests/discussion of all that for elsewhere!  The faster you can help us test our [beta] branch builds, the faster we can keep growing the game!

-Jacob

Edited by SES_Jacob

Tried the new patch and so far it looks the the FPS is much better. The flatten tool also seems to be better at flatning :)

Steam/Keyboard+Mouse/Windows 10

I just want to give a real big thank you for listening to player feedback on the whole fuel condenser/trade platform thing and making some changes to it this early on. This will really help to see what direction the game is going to go from a player perspective so we can know what to expect and not get used to certain things. Hopefully now more people will be exploring their planets more and doing funky creative things :) 

I will proably just play because everything sounds cool! But I was hoping you guys wouldn't change the amount of items/cost of the fuel yet because I felt that helped when I was trying to find any bugs possible, so I could find them pretty easy

FPS gain was little, but it's there.

Poppers and Stalagmites are not respawning after a logout, very good!
It also seems, that research of stuff also grants different things now like coal, not only Titanium and Lithium, very good!

Improve algorithm that picks the height of new base platforms, allowing for flatter bases

FUCK YES!

Edited by Pixels

Upon loading my world from the previous version all of my tether paths are black, replacing them causes them to glow blue again, but connection to them is spotty.

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to this update! Thank you team!

tethers_what.JPG

Edited by SlabDabs

I would have left the condenser/trade as it was - at least for now. It lets you make much quicker progress to get new bases running well and so get on with testing more stuff. Nerfing it now is just going to slow testing of mid-game mechanics. 

Hei, i'm assuming the beta branch is for steam? A windows app store player here (Which i kinda regret, but hope will pay out in the future...) and wondering how much i get to participate in things like beta patches and such. I'm also wondering, i see i got a update for the game today, is that this patch, or an older one? (Patch version looks like the one above, but slightly different: 0.2.10109.2)

And, thanks for the updates that are coming, i'm really excited to see how much this game can evolve!

Prior to this patch, I built a platform connected to my spaceship on the exotic planet.  When I took off the power/air tube never disconnected and it stayed connected all across the solar system.  With this patch it seems to be disconnected now. 

Hi, my game doesn't start at all after this 0.2.109 patch. I tried to remove and reinstall my game or ever delete the local files still not working but when i'm back to the normal build, It working fine.

9 minutes ago, Party McFly said:

Thanks for the update. Estimate when we can expect this on Xbox?

Xbox is getting a big patch in a few days, that's equivalent to the current steam release. The Xbox patching process is different and patches have to be submitted to Microsoft it sounds like. They then have a process of approving and pushing out the update and it may take a few days after submitting.  I would expect to see something out on or after Christmas.  Expect to see the Xbox patches 1-2 weeks behind pc throughout development of the game.

for the most up to date information follow astroneer and the developers on Twitter!

IMG_0052.PNG

Edited by TCrunaway

2 hours ago, SlabDabs said:

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to this update! Thank you team!

Hi SlabDabs, I noticed you have the same mesh discontinuity that I have in my current base, where the quads dont quite join up, and you can see through to the caves beneath. I recorded a video here.  Did this happen for you before the beta? I can't remember if I saw this prior to testing this beta branch version.

Edited by Bewilderbeest
adding clarity

4 minutes ago, Bewilderbeest said:

Hi SlabDabs, I noticed you have the same mesh discontinuity that I have in my current base, where the quads dont quite join up, and you can see through to the caves beneath. I recorded a video here.  Did this happen for you before the beta? I can't remember if I saw this prior to testing this beta branch version.

I saw that on Xbox a few days ago. I had forgotten about it until this post.

6 hours ago, SES_Jacob said:
  • Fix bugs that would allow player to make building platforms even after the conduit hub has been branched

What exactly does this mean?

29 minutes ago, Bewilderbeest said:

Mine's been like that since day one; It causes some frame drop, So I take the level tool and smooth it away... but some places it happens at pretty much every crossroad.

Edited by UberSlackr

Maybe the fuel farming rebalance should wait until we have proper creative mode tools?

For a pure survival game, I agree that the fuel exploit is definitely OP and needs to be fixed, however some people (myself included) are often more interested in building and branching out, than in gathering resources. (For example, with a full time career and a family, I typically have much less time to play, and so spending it all gathering resources instead of exploring the game itself gets old quickly.)

For people like us, the fuel exploit sits in as a bridge to the yet-to-be-made creative mode tooling; and now this is being removed, and limiting options to one style of play.

Once some creative mode ability to "cheat" to get resources is available, then closing the exploit is exactly the right thing to do.

Edited by Paploo