SES_joe

"Patch 201" - September 15th, 2017

It feels like only yesterday when it was patch 125! It's really amazing to see the game grow step by step, and with such an awesome and dedicated team behind it, I'm not surprised things are moving so fast! So excited for all that comes next <3<3<3

On 9/16/2017 at 7:59 AM, Shadow Echo said:

Storms are like tornadoes in intensity now (when you're in a vehicle) even if you're driving, adding input and power, storms are pushing me into caves, ravines, stuff that didn't used to happen and which I think is a bit unbalanced.

It's an inconvenience to be certain, but I actually like the added realism. Fierce storms! Now, if only forward were always forward on the rovers so that you can predict how they move... that would be great. I never understood the whole reason for switching movement keys based on view angle.

On 15/09/2017 at 8:38 AM, SES_joe said:

PROTIP: Now when running and placing tethers, drop them as soon as your oxygen line detaches. This will give you maximum length between tethers, while still allowing you to run in the direction you were going.

Don't work for me.

When I'm running and drop a tether, the tether drop when I press "T" and not when the oxygen line detaches.

Edited by Guéridon

On 22/09/2017 at 12:51 PM, marvintm said:

Sorry, but I know feedback is critical. On XB1 medium rover is useless...it is uncontrollable. It is always pulling wheelies or upsidedown. I took a long break of almost a year from playing this and the mechanics were NOT like this before. There was a storm that blew my rover away when switching planets in the shuttle it showed my rover in orbit!

It was not like this before, and I can also confirm this is pretty much undrivable now.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:25 AM, manvivicc said:

I think the rover problem occurs when a rover save (last save is entering a rover) is loaded.

hmm. I just loaded in and tried this and had significantly lower stability in my vehicle. Would love if someone could send me video of this to confirm!

4 hours ago, SES_joe said:

hmm. I just loaded in and tried this and had significantly lower stability in my vehicle. Would love if someone could send me video of this to confirm!

I did a quick try, seems to flip out indeed. 

I will proceed with more testing in and out of rover(s).

and sorry for long loading times, running on a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JwKlTTwWI

I have lots of game clips and screenshots, but I don't know how to move them over. I think I read something somewhere here, some suggestions, but it certainly would be nice for us Xbox players to be able to "share" these items directly off our One Drive storage (provided of course a person has marked their files as shareable, but afaik that can be done while keeping other files private etc). I used Photobucket in the past, not so much for clips just for screenshots but that was almost a decade ago it seems back when I was in a mobile gaming community and we posted top scores for the sections of the game :P I believe I read Photobucket isn't recommended anymore (I didn't use it for personal photos anyway, just for game stuff; back then online photo sharing was still quite new at least imho I wasn't ready to have family pics etc stored online). I doubt I still have that account, but who knows. Nothing in it except game scores lol.

I believe I read where Imgur was recommended. I don't have an Imgur account, in fact I don't use any social media accounts like FaceBook or Twitter. I don't need them in my life (they wouldn't suit any specific purpose I can't already accomplish some other way). The majority of my family is older than I am, so they don't use any of that stuff either. The one exception is my teen son and his cousins, but we get along just fine using text for the most part :P I'll leave social media to their generation (with some oversight of course). It would be nice to be able to use One Drive and avoid creating yet another account I'd have to keep track of, I think we all know how much a burden it is these days having so many accounts and passwords it feels like it gets out of hand so quickly and we long for a time when things were much simpler lol.

I can say for sure @SES_joe that the medium rover (aka rover) has reached a point it's not driveable the majority of the time. I've tried all sorts of loadouts with different items (small solar, small wind, small generator, medium storage, resource nuggets, all arranged in different ways) and nothing seems to have much effect on it. When I accelerate, almost immediately it goes nose-up, and no amount of steering seems to direct it down. If I let off the gas, it will (eventually) drift back down. Sometimes if I aim the camera dead on level with the horizon I can get it to stay on the groun and be able to drive leveled out for a bit, but that's impractical because eventually you need to watch where you're going. As far as the driving mechanics overall, I'm happy it's easier to back vehicles up, but it seems to kick in unpredictably and once it does, it's difficult to get out of reverse mode and back to forward steering despite all sorts of camera maneuvers. Basically I'm saying it's a frustrating experience despite the improvement in reverse.

This is also the first time I've experienced really odd vehicle behavior when loading a saved game. I don't tend to play co-op, which I know is associated with all sorts of odd vehicular behavior (and just bugginess in general, lol). But that's not the cause in my case. I see this happen no kattter of I'm loading into my world in a vehicle or a base where I have a vehicle nearby. Often the vehicle (or vehicle train, max 2 vehicles together I don't build long ones, too troublesome) will "spaz out" doing all sorts of cartwheels in the air (sometimes with me in it) and the link conduit stretching ever which way. This can go on several seconds. Sometimes parts will disappear momentarily underground, or float above ground, but so far I've been lucky overall and not had one float off into space although I've had one or two go MIA (presumably underground somewhere, sometimes I'll see a vehicle beacon on the distant horizon but as I approach it becomes impossible to narrow down where it is).

Ive had issues with saved games as well (all of this is on Xbox). I've had save games revert to an earlier date. Then on another day, it seems they catch back up and display the proper save dates. This is truly maddening ugh. Spawns can be random as well, like spawning in a field somewhere, or in a cave, instead of at base or in a vehicle. Now I wouldn't mind so much if I was expecting this to happen, because I feel the game must have a "save on demand" function, an stop limiting us to saves only at habitat & vehicle. It is killing the game for me at times, and is incredibly frustrating when I know my game is going to crash but I'm either lost or really far away from base and can't get back.

Just today, I lost well over 2 hours (yes, that's 2 HOURS) of game progress because I'd struck out to explore which I often do without vehicle or tether (it's much easier to get around that way, and I just happened to run across a lot of explorer packs and titanium as well, so I had around 8+ oxygen tanks plus the ability to craft oxygen resupply filters, meaning I had an almost infinite supply of oxygen so long as I had compound on me). But the game started to lag and drag, just like it always does on Xbox, and I knew I was running out of time. I had been underground for awhile and when I emerged I wasn't near any of my beacons (I had several, all around my base, but those underground cave systems can be massive, it's easy to travel across planet without realizing it). It's why I wish we had some sort of navigation system, but that's not the solution for now.

What we REALLY need is to be able to SAVE ON DEMAND. There's no reason I can think of why we must me limited to base Hab or vehicle only, other than say at the beginning of the game (until new players become familiar with the game mechanics etc). Even a "call to home" rescue ping, anything, to help us know which way to go, and maybe an approximate distance, something. But right now we don't even have a "pause" button that will prevent us from running out of oxygen and taking damage. A game like this really should have something of the sort, because life happens. Sometimes you need to answer a phone call, or the call of nature :P or what have you. Closest thing I've found in-game to a pause menu when you're away from base or vehicle is just to sit in a chair on the ground. :D Please don't take that out as it's our only refuge for now. Please consider a pause button in the menu for when IRL matters "matter" and if at all possible please allow us to choose when & where we save our game as well. I know there are probably a lot of things that would have to be worked out regarding the latter, but that's exactly what the pre-alpha stage of development is for, at least, that's my understanding. It does get tiresome losing 1-2 hrs of progress at a time, and right now vehicles just don't offer an attractive means of getting around the terrain. They will eventually I'm sure, but they're not there yet. The large rover (aka truck) is, alternatively, just too slow and this makes it even more prone to getting stuck on every single rock on Terran right now, plus all those new collision coded tether tips (please remove collision from tethers, and if possible take off the hot-clicks for them too).

After using the new tether deployment method, the only input I have is to please consider changing them so that they drop directly behind the character. Ive had the habit of laying out my tether network in the 4 cardinal directions from my base, so NSEW basically. I prefer the old way because I'm used to it. I would make very straight tether lines, taking my time, exercising great care lining them up. This method with tethers dropping along side my character makes very awkward lines that are choppy and I can't stand the looks of them (yes it's a bit OCD I know). But why can't the tether just drop right behind us? Dropping in front would work for me, but not so well for others who are running and would then trip on them, so that's out. Actually I haven't had that much luck with the "run &a drop" method anyway, about half the time the line will connect with the one behind, other and it won't and I have to stop and adjust it anyway so I'd say this really isn't saving me time overall, but whatever. Having the tether drop right behind (centrally located) would seem better imho than just randomly off to one side. Thoughts? I didn't realize people even wanted this feature.

The more I work with the updated tethers, the more I realize the whatever to call it, "gravity mechanic" just doesn't work out in reality. In Astroneer you're always manipulating your environment, and tethers are often a part (a VITAL part) of that environment. I understand why the Devs wanted to add this bit of realism into the game, but at some point, the realism becomes just too much nuisance like it does here. Or maybe things need adjustment, a LOT of adjustment. I can't adjust terrain at all anywhere near a tether and not have it knocked over, or come unhooked. For something that is essentially your character's lifeline, this just isn't going to work. The worst part is trying to manage it in caves where you do the most vertical terrain manipulation. Sometimes tethers just fall & are lost. Not a great place for that to happen. Idk who was complaining of "ghost tethers" but I doubt that many really had big issues with it, as opposed to those who now have their tether networks failing on them, coming apart on them, etc.

One thing that bothers me in particular is finding the tether networks leading away from my base disrupted for no apparent reason at all! :( I've noticed this after storms, so I'm guessing the storms are blowing over some of the tethers. This wasn't in the patch notes (checked them again), and shouldn't be happening. I know at one time it was discussed as an option to have storm damage & repair added in, but only as an option (similar to other survival OPTIONS like hunger & thrist, only for those who wish to add those aspects to their Astroneering adventures). But afaik none of these options were being introduced, so I must conclude this is a bug. Please look into this and fix, because it's causing some real issues. Also, there is a bug with using the Inhibitor and passing it over already smoothed ground with tethers. The Inhibitor is uprooting the tethers, and it shouldn't be doing that-please address this as well. So lots of issues with tethers, beyond having issues with the gravity mechanics. They're falling over even when the weather is clear and nothing is around to disturb them :( 

i can always provide more feedback, I spend easily 15-20 hrs a week playing Astroneer (among other games as well). I'm also an admin for one of the clubs on Xbox :P so I see game clips and screenshots other players post, so I'm aware of what issues they encounter as well. Like I always say, love the game, no plans to stop playing, and always thankful for the Devs' hard work! So take all this with a grain of salt, it's meant to be constructive, a means of giving feedback. It's not meant to sound like some tirade or list of complaints :D As always, thanks for reading my tomes :P 

On 9/27/2017 at 1:42 AM, MardoPardo said:

I did a quick try, seems to flip out indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4JwKlTTwWI

That part at around 1:49, when your vehicle is "spazzed out" flipping all over the place when you spawn into the game? That's the behavior I was talking about. I just started noticing this behavior, never have had this issue before, not even when 201 first dropped. Then again, I have mentioned before I don't use vehicles that much because it's generally easier to play without them right now tbh, so I can't rule out that I've just been "lucky." Still, I certainly think something odd is going on, causing the vehicles to behave this oddly. I've experienced this multiple times across multiple saves now. I don't even have to be loading into a gamesave where I'm in the vehicle. I've seen them spazz out like this when loading into the Hab of my base and they're just attached to or near the base itself and I'll watch them do this (as mentioned in my most recent post). Not sure what's going on it's funny to watch of course but concerning nonetheless :P 

On 9/24/2017 at 5:59 AM, Truthseerguy said:

It's an inconvenience to be certain, but I actually like the added realism. Fierce storms! Now, if only forward were always forward on the rovers so that you can predict how they move... that would be great. I never understood the whole reason for switching movement keys based on view angle.

Fierce storms are fine as a gameplay mechanic, but it's always the same storm, always the same intensity.  I wonder if, as it's moving its random pattern around the planet, maybe some of the internal values (wind strength, debris density, diameter, etc) could also randomize.  It would be more workable for most encounters, with the added mechanic of being a little unpredictable.

My biggest issues are with the rovers and the tethers.  (This is in a brand new save for this update.)

For the tethers:  It's interesting having them react to the physics and fall when there's nothing below them, but the trade-off of them suddenly having collision is a pain to put it mildly.  My 2 cents is I'd rather have floaty tethers, than to have long rows of objects for my rovers to collide with.  The rocks are bad enough already.

I'm also constantly peeved that, when a line of tethers connects to a rover, it disconnects from the base.  If I'm parking and going out on foot, I have to be sure the rovers are away from all the tethers, so I can draw my power from the base.

And the rovers...  Floaty, jumpy, flippy...  My larger rovers are lowriders right now.  They sit so low, especially with any load on them at all, that they grind against the ground.  But if they hit a rock, they'll jump, and usually end up stuck, high-centered on that same rock.  It happened 3 times in a single hour of gameplay (before I got my Inhibitor to clear the road).

The controls on those things need to be overhauled.  They're not handling like wheeled vehicles.  They're handling like boats.  And, please, add BRAKES.

Edited by Indomitus1973

Rovers: Agree. Terra now feels like Barren. They behave fine until the first "wheelie", then they always do it, wheels barely make contact with ground, etc. Tethers need fixing too. I don't mind, however, that they stay put when hit with a rover. Think about it. With the way the rovers handle, you would be constantly re-setting your tether lines because of them being knocked over.

Another thing is that if you flip your rover and get out of it, you go into the ground and back up onto the surface, but if you are  above a cave system, you go into the cave. This happened to me.

Ya the large rover has corrects physics and even with a trailer. But I got two medium rovers and used one as a trailer and the physics were COMPLETELY bonker lol. 

Also on my save objects are floating. I have two story house made with dirt and I have all my resources on the 2nd floor. Their not connected to any studs or anything, so they’re loose entities. And I think there are too many loose entities in my save because gravity switched off for about half of the entities. Also my medium rover’s floating 50 ft into the air as I’m writing this lol. So is it actually just too many unattached entities? Or what. 

Ok so I just put all the entities on medium storages and eventually my rover fell back down. So i think the prob is resolved. Thanks for reading this System Era! Keep up the great work! 

Also... this happened...

ok So I can’t upload the vid but my large rover is floating 100 ft in the air and when I get close it starts spazzing and eventually teleports 400ft away.

Im so confuzzled. Lol.  You should do like 3 updates just for major bugs like that and not special add-ons. 

Edited by MyDoodBroski

The rover was parked in a cave, nevertheless, he flew to heaven. The game is not playable when the rover always disappear

Edited by heinz hilger