Sign in to follow this  
Wolfiesden

200- XB1- Framerate, or lack thereof

Summary:
200- XB1- Framerate, or lack thereof

Description: 
I loaded my game last night that I saved the previous day.  Was on the moon (deserted).  When I saved and exited, I had no issues with framerate, it was smooth as always.  However now, the framerate is like watching streaming video on a 300 baud modem.  Its like maybe 5fps.  Hard to move, look or do anything.  This was a fresh power on of the XB1 after work.  Killed the game (options, quit).  Rebooted the XB1.  Reloaded.  Same.  Did a full power down of the XB1.  Reloaded.  Same. Nothing seems to clear it.  Unable to clear it, rebooted again but this time I loaded ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) to see if there was an issue on the xbox or with Astroneer.  ESO was fluid and realtime as always.  Loaded Astroneer again, and "wham" 5fps.  So its not the XB1.

The framerate is not consistent. At times its better but still low.  I had set up for a launch to space (loaded large shuttle) the previous day.  So I got to the shutter at the base and launched to space.  Issue still present in space (had hoped changing planets would clear it).  Took almost a full minute to rotate the camera to point to the planet.  Its bad.  Virtually unplayable at times, barely playable at others.  I managed to get to irradiated (spiky ball planet) and establish a small base.  Took hours.  Decided enough was enough and went to bed.  Its simply not fun playing like that.

Platform:
XB1

Version / Build Number: 

Here is what I am talking about for near slideshow framerate:

And I have experimented and found out its SAVE dependent.  I created a new game and the framerate is fluid as ever.  Load this save ando its like this.  Load the new game, again fluid.  So something in the save is hozed.

Edited by Wolfiesden

I've been running into these performance issues on Xbox One as well. And it does seem to be hit or miss, and game/save related. I can start a fresh game, that lags from the start and continues to lag (by lag I mean poor FPS performance). I'm not playing co-op, this starts before I've built any base or laid any tethers, I play on LAN exclusively and checked network which is running fine with nothing else downloading that I can find to cause drain on the network etc. Sometimes the save file may perform a little better, but overall the poor performance seems to persist. Other saves and new games aren't affected. Until update 200 I had never encountered a problem such as this, so it's quite baffling what could be causing it. At first I thought my somewhat large base design and tether layouts were the cause, but then I realized I had new games straight from landing that were suffering from absolutely terrible FPS. It was then I realized something else was causing the issue, not something I had done or was doing in the game. 

I didn't have a huge base (or bases).  Most were fairly minimal.  A few extra nodes beyond whats required.

And when I logged out, on the game that last time, it was playing perfectly fine.  Next time I loaded it, well completely different story and its been that way since.

Bad news I am afraid.  Loading the 200 game in 201 didn't change the framerate issue.  The save game is still bugged and not really playable.

I have the urge to delete it but I will keep it in case the devs have a way for me to send it to them for analysis.