rileya_c

Lack of content

I haven't played Astroneer for months and nothing has changed. This game is almost to the point of being deleted from my Xbox because of the lack of fun. There really needs to be some drastic changes for this game to be as fun as when it first came out. It's been awhile since the last update also. Really disappointed because this was the main game I used to play every day for hours. And now I can't even pick it up for 10 minutes without remembering how there's nothing else to do. 

Edited by Wyvyrias
Changed title to reflect the content and removed unnecessary clickbait jokes/spam

LOL but true. Perhaps devs are holding something good and release once they feel we deserve it. ; ) Or perhaps they are saving content for next product, which we probably have to buy.

I'm not sure if you've been keeping up to date with what the devs are saying (in the vlogs, the friday Q&A sessions, etc), but the focus has been on creating a solid foundation from which to build everything else. There hasn't been huge new content in the past months precisely because they don't want to release anything until there's a good base for it all to sit on. Once that base (which includes Terrain 2.0, Research 2.0, Modularity, etc) is securely in place, the new content will start to flow again. 

A person posted a question on the Steam community page and on reddit that lead to Joe, System Era's comms guy, giving this reply (see below). 

If you don't want to read it all, here's the last paragraph. You should at least read this:

We also know that we are up against a clock. (This is the first place I am saying this but f#k it) Our next update (not this week's ;) ) is going to introduce completely new game mechanics and content, as will every one after that going forward. I am super excited. Our gamble is paying off, and now the game will be in a much better state to keep going for a long long time.

Edited by GizmoGomez

Yes, it would appear the transition to alpha is just around the bend. Exciting times :)

TBH, this has been a relatively short pre-alpha. Some AAA games stay in a state far worse than Astroneer launched in for upwards of 2 years. 

Anyways, I've just reinstalled after this last update. Gonna go check out the new terrain tool module and vehicle changes.

Keep up the great work, SES.

P.S. First post. Hi, I'm Jay. Most people think I'm a jerk, but I'll never beat around the bush with you. So, at least there's that.

I'm not sure if you've been keeping up to date with what the devs are saying (in the vlogs, the friday Q&A sessions, etc), but the focus has been on creating a solid foundation from which to build everything else. There hasn't been huge new content in the past months precisely because they don't want to release anything until there's a good base for it all to sit on. Once that base (which includes Terrain 2.0, Research 2.0, Modularity, etc) is securely in place, the new content will start to flow again. 

A person posted a question on the Steam community page and on reddit that lead to Joe, System Era's comms guy, giving this reply (see below). 

The problem is that they are literally saying the same since several months and nothing major is still ready. As a result many game areas are unchanged or worse compared to the original game back in December 2016, for example the view distance of objects. It was way better last year. Apart from bugfixing and some polish. But no new planets or something huge. What they say is a repeat. We can only hope that they are ready with this "solid foundation" till end of the year, so that the game has some meaningful new content ready compared to 12 months ago. Otherwise it would be a huge disappointing.

7 minutes ago, mikk said:

The problem is that they are literally saying the same since several months and nothing major is still ready. As a result many game areas are unchanged or worse compared to the original game back in December 2016, for example the view distance of objects. It was way better last year. Apart from bugfixing and some polish. But no new planets or something huge. What they say is a repeat. We can only hope that they are ready with this "solid foundation" till end of the year, so that the game has some meaningful new content ready compared to 12 months ago. Otherwise it would be a huge disappointing.

The real problem is that too few people understand the game is essentially exactly where it should be and perfectly on track. It just doesn't seem that way, because MOST Early Access games wait until at least Alpha before they start letting people buy in. Astroneer opened their door to investors during Pre-Alpha, and people don't understand what that means. Well, welcome to Pre-Alpha. Nothing but slight polishes and bug fixes to the actual framework of the game, and barely enough content to support it.

It would really appear that "Alpha" status is right around the corner, though, and that's where you should expect to see large and rather consistent content updates. You'll also see mechanics and mechanic refinements thrown in here and there (as this was a relatively short Pre-Alpha), and the point to the game (progression structure, achievements, etc) should start to form and take shape.

We'll probably stay in that phase of rapid expansion (the Alpha phase) another year, maybe even longer. After that, we'll be on to Beta, where all that content gets exposed (hopefully) to a much broader audience with the intention of tracking down and repairing bugs on the most diverse selection of hardware and software possible in preparation for the 1.0 release.

TL;DR: You're freaked out about the development pace because you came into the process MUCH earlier than you do on most games. Going forward, you should see a schedule more akin to what you're used to.

-Jay

I'm talking about the game progress since December 2016, especially content and gameplay updates in the past 10 months. And that's underwhelming not only in my opinion. Month after month we are hearing that they are working on this prototyping stuff and in the end nothing happens. And yes it is Pre-Alpha, that's why it is even more worrying that they weren't able to release something early yet which makes me wonder if they can release something major before the end of the year. Also we have no guarantee that these new protoype ideas are working as good as we would hope because this is all behind closed doors.

On 13.9.2017 at 2:41 AM, rileya_c said:

I haven't played Astroneer for months and nothing has changed.

You´re wrong. With each patch vehicle driving sucks more and more!

18 minutes ago, Feuerwalze said:

The part that disappoints me the most is the amount of lag I'm still getting on Xbox one. Don't talk to me about stuff that's on PC becusss I don't have one and frankly I don't care. Once I start a new game and the lag starts 10-20 mins into a brand new game, the fun and excitement quickly diminishes. I would honestly rather be back in December 2016 playing the brand new Astroneer that just came out and have all that fun I used to have. I would not care if there was any new content since then just the fact that the lagging really hasn't made any major steps forward. I know the SES team is working really hard and I applaud them for that. I know that when they release a patch, there has been a ton of work put into it and most of it won't be new content. But for the universes sake, at least fix the fps and the overall running of the game so someone can at least get some fun time playing in, before they are waiting on the game to catch up to what you're doing. I would rather have less often patches with better performance, better play ability, and possibly faster load times when I launch the game ;) I still love astroneer and I think about the game daily, I just haven't had the want/need to play the game for over a month because the patches haven't been substantial enough to dedicate my rare free time to. Once there are some changes made to the game maybe I will continue to play. But for right now I guess my Xbox one will still collect dust and wait for astroneer to become more of an adult. 

32 minutes ago, Feuerwalze said:

Even more so if you try to use a save from a previous version.
Then it kind of becomes impossible since something broke.

14 minutes ago, rileya_c said:

...Once I start a new game and the lag starts 10-20 mins into a brand new game...

Does the lag start after a storm, by any chance? This was an issue on PC when they upgraded Unreal Engine. It may be that whatever they had to do to fix it for the PC needs to be done for XB1 as well.

1 hour ago, Daede said:

Does the lag start after a storm, by any chance? This was an issue on PC when they upgraded Unreal Engine. It may be that whatever they had to do to fix it for the PC needs to be done for XB1 as well.

HHe kast time I played, which was for about 5 mins and on the day of the last patch the lag started the second I jumped out the habitat and started the tutorial 

Well, I had trouble with it on my rather nice gaming PC, but it only seemed to happen after a storm. Patch 199 fixed the issue for me, though. I know you're on XBOX*, but figured maybe it was the same issue and a fix was forthcoming.

This lag... Are you experiencing an FPS drop, input lag, load screen lag or what? I know a few people who have this game on XBX, I'll check around with them and see if they're having the same issues.

* Pretty sad attitude you have towards PCs, BTW. Especially considering your XBOX is nothing more than a hardware-substandard gaming PC that Microsoft has decided you can't be trusted with full access to (and has also convinced you to be okay with that)

8 hours ago, Daede said:

So, you don't understand the steps of the development process. K.

You don't understand my posting it seems. You defending style doesn't help anyone here. It's time to deliver at some point as we are approaching Q4 2017. Their excuse beginning of the year was lack of devs. They can't use that excuse anymore. They have done very little to the game when it comes to content since 9 months. And several things have weakened or are questionable at least. This is a lacklustre progress which reflects the Steam scores in the last few weeks. That's why many people lost their faith already.

56 minutes ago, mikk said:

You don't understand my posting it seems. You defending style doesn't help anyone here. It's time to deliver at some point as we are approaching Q4 2017. Their excuse beginning of the year was lack of devs. They can't use that excuse anymore. They have done very little to the game when it comes to content since 9 months. And several things have weakened or are questionable at least. This is a lacklustre progress which reflects the Steam scores in the last few weeks. That's why many people lost their faith already.

I better throw that post in here as well:

2 hours ago, mikk said:

Oh, I understand you just fine. When you say things like "And yes it is Pre-Alpha, that's why it is even more worrying that they weren't able to release something early", you're telling me you have no understanding of the process. If you follow the link in my profile, it will take you to the steps of the game development process, so you can get a better idea how all of this works. Give it a read, it's available on Wikipedia.

I've been Beta, Alpha and Pre-Alpha testing games since the late 1980s, with over 50 AAA titles under my belt (at least half of which were closed-alpha or closed-pre-alpha (NDAs are soooo much fun)). Astroneer has been in pre-alpha less than a year. In my long experience, that's only about 2/3 the time it should be...maybe half given the setbacks the team has encountered along the way. One particular AAA studio had a habit - for over a decade - of putting their 'first playable' (Pre-Alpha) to testers with a neon-green skybox that had huge pink letters that said "COMING SOON" in Comic Sans. And, it stayed that way for six months to a year, every time. This same developer's pre-alphas usually excluded over half of the core mechanics necessary to play the game. Oh, and you were EXPECTED to put in at least 3 hours a week on the game, whether there was anything to do or not.

If SES had introduced this game to EA in Alpha back in December, you and I would be on the exact same page, as there would be little to no excuse for the lack of content updates (well, the death of a member is a pretty good excuse). I suppose I would also be on the same page with you if they had done nothing and failed to communicate anything this entire time, but that's not the case, either. There was a period in Q2/17 where communication fell off due to all the setbacks they suffered, but other than that, they've been forthright with their communication and transparent with their development, keeping us up-to-date every step of the way.

You talk about my 'defending style' (WTF is a 'defending style', anyways? I have a 'writing style' and a 'thought process', do those count?) not helping as though I've no right to defend something I obviously have a much deeper understanding of than you, and that makes me laugh and makes me sad at the same time. My 'defending style' is one of common sense, common courtesy, reasonable expectations and long personal experience. I will say, though, that my personality doesn't leave much room for entitlement or ignorance in the face of available information, so I don't respond well to either of those.

TL;DR: SES has given you every bit of information you need to understand why things are moving at the pace that they are - even though, they really didn't have to. The game is still in pre-alpha, and has every right to stay there another full year, if they so choose. That would be in keeping with any AAA studio schedule, which I'd wager you wouldn't try to speak out against in this manner, as they're already established with a track record to speak for itself. Well, everybody has to establish their track record somewhere, and I'm pretty damn comfortable with what SES is laying down.

$0.02 YMMV (but it shouldn't),

-Jay

Edited by Daede

15 hours ago, mikk said:

There hasn't been much *visible* content. You need a solid foundation, which is what SES has been working on since December, before you can add content. Try adding content to a prototype, which is what Astroneer is right now, and you'll end up with a terrible mess later on and end up with a much delayed finished product.