JeromeGr

Vehicle physics solved?!

Hi community!

Just wanted to know if the issue vehicle physics is now solved? Asking coz I decided to drop the game as long as this does know get solved. For an exploration game having your vehicle behave like this was in my view a party killer. 

Cheers and thanks for your input!

AFAIK vehicle behavior did improve, but this seems to vary according to reports. I've felt like it improved, but others may be saying "it's still bad".
Though I am sure there's still more that can be done (well, it's pre-alpha)! At very least, your rovers shouldn't start flying at every small bump...I hope. ;)

Well, mine are more rooted to the ground to be sure. As in they feel like they are actually digging into the ground when driving.

Don't know what it was like before because I just started or if XB1 has received any update but I launched to the moon last night (first space trip for me) and I can tell you that I almost rage quit.

Its hard to put into words the insane un-drivability on the moon.  After a while,  I finally realized what they used for their physics model for programming the rovers!  I am 100% certain this is it:

eco-friendly-colorful-soft-plastic-tent-

And they NAILED IT!

I have watched my granddaughters in those.  And my experience with a large rover, single seat and large mount with 2x medium mounts and 2 unknowns stuck to the remaining hard points was EXACTLY the maneuverability I saw my granddaughter have in those balls.   ZERO.

Then I decided to make a small truck with a crane and drill head thinking maybe it would add a bit of stability being tethered.  Sigh.  No.  I didn't actually compute it but I feel pretty confident that the truck crane spent about .0000000001% of the time actually with 4 tires on the ground and maybe .0000000002% of the time with at least one tire on the ground.  The rest of the time it was being drug on its side, flying around, or bouncing uncontrollably.

So next I tried the small rover with just a cabin and one medium panel to maybe use as a hauler out of a mine next to the base.  Tried to drive down a ramp/tunnel to the underground cave I was hollowing out.  Figured now far could it go with a ceiling.  Well after a nightmarish roll trip down (imagine photo above, but instead of flat water, imagine it down the side of a mountain then combine that with a NASCAR pileup-flipout-rollover on turn 1).  I parked it and walked because I got tired of digging holes to get it flipped back over ruining my nice smooth ramp  Yes, I said SMOOTH ramp.  When I drove it back out, I think I flew about half way across the planet before it landed after exiting the cave ramp.  Yea.  Not trying that again.  Took longer to get back to the base after leaving the cave (which was right next to my base) than it would have simply making trips up on foot carrying the medium panel by hand.

Didn't rage quit.  But I was this >< close.  Absolutely nothing I have encountered in this game has been remotely this bad.  The handling was bad enough on the first planet.  But on the moon.  Yea.  NO. 

My experience is that it's better than in the beginning. It doesn't full stop to every small bump and jumps mostly land wheels down.

At least on Terran surface I can drive around and collect research pods. However, it's still far from even the worst driving game... 

The vehicles in the 201 patch have been downgraded to include a 3V motor and 6V motors for the medium and large rovers respectively, from the previous patches that had 3kV and 6kV motors that could actually move the vehicle and the load like a true electric motor could. Acceleration was lost to the point it is easier to run with an object after retrieving it than waiting for the older motors to spin up and get you moving. Power consumption has drastically increased and not as efficient. I used to be able to drive from base to a nearby mountain, now i have to stop twice to refuel the battery. This pretty much has made the use of vehicles obsolete in the game on terran (no coal available easily) so now its back to footwork to get things done at all. Restoration of the power/ fuel consumption must be a top priority for that department or it might as well be removed from the game, or just dont make any.

I've got a large rover setup with a 1-seat, a 2-socket solar panel, a 2-socket wind turbine and a medium storage on it, and I'm scooting happily around the planet, rarely running out of power.

I find the Truck to be Nerfed to a horrible level...... I got 15 hours into Patch 201 since Friday....

Again Previous Saves are worthless and once crashes start they just ruin the old saves and keep hitting every 2 minutes.....  I can accept that as Its Pre Alpha.

Truck power seems to drain twice as fast.... Truck power is ridiculously low Again ( probably had to replace the motors with Space Gerbil's on treadmills )   ....I build smooth low angle ramps and in most cases still cant take a double truck loaded up said ramp.   Also on many planets the trucks get stuck on tiny rocks and cant get off....... I find nearly everything is rendering in way to late to avoid getting affected by.  

One thing I really appreciate is the Vehicle drivers launching out of vehicles so as not to get killed every time exiting the vehicle.... KUDO's on that one guys 2 Thumbs Up!.

We already went threw the Tethers hanging up vehicles in previous updates.... I really felt let down on that bug happening again.

I also don't like the front end lift..... the Vehicle sinking threw the ground to its death and the Storm Crap blowing the Paper Truck again..... Lets hope those get fixed soon.

Yeah, now that you list the issues off, I agree with every one of them. Especially the storm blowing the truck around. The medium rover I can see, but the truck should stay put when the wind blows. Also, if the medium is tethered, I shouldn't have to build a shelter around it, it should remain tethered.

That's another thing..... My Trucks will not Tether to the base..... that really makes me CRAZY!

Have to agree on the nerfed truck feedback here.  

Very frustrating trying to get around in truck and truck trailer.  Load them with nuts and it comes to barely a crawl on anything but entirely level ground, even then it feels like it's really laboring just to get started.

Very much diminishes the fun factor while substantially increasing the tedium factor.

Also--- almost any nut attached to the front of the truck will catch and hold the avatar when exiting the vehicle.

54 minutes ago, Torgado said:

Also--- almost any nut attached to the front of the truck will catch and hold the avatar when exiting the vehicle.

Yep. I've taken to making sure I'm moving backwards for a sec or so before I hop out: It tends to chuck me ahead of the truck.

1 hour ago, KeeblerOrc said:

That's another thing..... My Trucks will not Tether to the base..... that really makes me CRAZY!

Back it in. Only the back side will tether for me. But, my truck is fairly self sufficient and rarely needs to tether. I tried tethering when I saw a storm coming, but it didn't help. I still watched my truck glide away into the distance like it weighed nothing...

8 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

7 hours ago, Daede said:

Back it in. Only the back side will tether for me. But, my truck is fairly self sufficient and rarely needs to tether. I tried tethering when I saw a storm coming, but it didn't help. I still watched my truck glide away into the distance like it weighed nothing...

I'm seeing the same thing.  I've found that if you pull up really close, it will connect.

The change in vehicle physics has been driving (ha) me crazy.  On my new save, I haven't unlocked them yet.  But on my older save, they drive like they're made of lead and going in slow motion, and yet one small rock or hill at "full speed" is enough to ramp it so high you'd think the Duke Boys were at the wheel.

I've understood that the game is built on FPS engine. Is it so, that they haven't mechanics for vehicles? Or why is this so difficult?

Small modifications are changing diving experience from 1 to 2, or 3 in best, but if the mechanics aren't 8 or 10 upon publication (should it ever come), the game will be crucified in reviews.

My rover chain just floated away for no reason whatsoever, totally loaded down with research nuts. I'm gonna go play something for a while where half my progress doesn't decide to randomly float off through no fault of my own.

grrr

Here is my current experience with the "new and improved" rover....

I can't tell you how the large rover drives (truck), as I have only about 3 days play time on 201 and still don't have a large rover OR either of the shuttles.  About to delete this save and start again.  As it is, I can't even get off this rock.

Edited by Wolfiesden

Besides now not being able to reliably control which direction the thing goes, for the large rover I have died several times and had to run back to it because I ejected before it was at a complete stop. Not talking about rolling like thunder, talking about crawling along to the point where it makes no dust. Dismount, red screen, squash, death = corpse run. Why can't we side dismount? Think about it. How many times have your exited the front of your car? Except for an old BMW Isetta, most of us have side doors on our cars and go out the side. Anyway, just my two {insert your favorite currency here}.

On my Xbox I have problems with driving too, on PC everything runs fine and driving around is great fun. Playing on Play anywhere. Xbox One S specs not needed. My PC specs: 8GB RAM, intel i7 4x2.0GHz, GT 555M 2GB

16 hours ago, Truthseerguy said:

...Anyway, just my two {insert your favorite currency here}.

Tulips. Your two tulips.

In the 1600's, tulips were a currency in the Netherlands (Holland, at the time)

The small rover seemed a bit easier to drive while the large rover was nearly uncontrollable. Now both of my vehicles are floating high in the atmosphere rendering them useless.