GTX 1080 Low GPU Usage

I'm having issues getting any GPU Usage above 30% @ 1266mhz. I get 1607mhz for less than a second when loading the game, then goes back to 1266. So because of this, after 30 minutes of playing, FPS will drop to 20, and if anyone joins me, 5 fps. That's right, 5. All drivers up to date, on Beta build 02.108. Tried running game as admin.

3x 1080p Monitors (only running game on one)

5820k @ 4.5ghz

ASUS x99-a 3.1

ASUS STRIX 1080

16gb RAM

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I have an Asus Strix 1080 as well and I haven't seen any issue like this. Which GeForce driver are you running? Windowed or Fullscreen? Vsync? I'm running a consistent 1.7GHz clock when playing the game and get a constant 60fps so it sounds like a driver issue on your end.

Just now, Chance said:

I have an Asus Strix 1080 as well and I haven't seen any issue like this. Which GeForce driver are you running? Windowed or Fullscreen? Vsync? I'm running a consistent 1.7GHz clock when playing the game and get a constant 60fps so it sounds like a driver issue on your end.

Fullscreen, no vsync, Latest Driver: 376.33

3 minutes ago, Sy1v said:

Fullscreen, no vsync, Latest Driver: 376.33

Try turning on Vsync and if that doesn't help you could always try verifying the files through steam. I'm running 376.33 and I have a 6700k @4.5GHz so our performance should realistically be pretty similar and if anything yours should be better.

4 minutes ago, Chance said:

Try turning on Vsync and if that doesn't help you could always try verifying the files through steam. I'm running 376.33 and I have a 6700k @4.5GHz so our performance should realistically be pretty similar and if anything yours should be better.

I didn't think Vsync would do anything, tried anyway but didn't work. I verified and nothing was wrong, I deleted it from the WD Black and installed on the Samsung 950 Pro 512gb m.2, verified and still nothing. Windowed mode doesn't change anything either.

I thought the latter was removed apdeyte large drawdowns fps that get through the time, personally my : Intel core I5 3470 , Nvidia 650 TI 2 GB ,8 RAM DDR 3| not accept drawdown below 30 FPS

So I tried setting the power management settings to prefer maximum performance and didn't change anything. To clarify, I'm usually running 2ghz on Overwatch.

Maybe because this game is very CPU intensive and not graphically intensive.  No crazy texture fill rates, no crazy draw distance, it's primarily CPU.  So your GPU is just sitting around waiting an eternity for, "Now process this shadow."

12 minutes ago, Krallopian said:

Maybe because this game is very CPU intensive and not graphically intensive.  No crazy texture fill rates, no crazy draw distance, it's primarily CPU.  So your GPU is just sitting around waiting an eternity for, "Now process this shadow."

So a 6 core, 12 thread processor running at 4.5ghz is worse than a 4 core 8 thread processor running at 4.5ghz? (5820k vs 6700k). I understand your argument but if @Chance can lmk what his CPU usage is, we can compare. I'm ~25-26% when at the base. Memory is 1792.8MB

Just now, Krallopian said:

Not saying the CPU is lousy, I'm running the same 12 thread 4.5ghz setup and 64gb ram with a 1070.  My 1070 hardly works, and the cpu is busiest with this game.  =)

What's the 1070 clock (in-game) ? What is your FPS after an hour of gameplay?

When I get in the fps is 60 @ 4k.  Then I start building, and it eventually gets down to 17-18fps due to massive bases and tethers and vehicles and loot everywhere bouncing around on the ground.  I THINK FPS would increase if I made a bunch of storage units and placed all my stuff on them instead of just in a hole where they seem to have constant physics attention by the game.

Regardless, fps certainly drops after you start building - as expected - but I haven't just walked around for an hour to see if that's true or not.

Hi ! Same problem here : neither my GPU nor CPU is used at 100%, but the framerate still drops to 20 FPS (with some additionnal lag spikes) even though it started at 60 at the beginning of the game.

I thought it was a VRAM issue but I checked using msi aferburner and it's not : the VRAM stays below 1Gb all the time. Here is the video on my most advanced save (3 complete bases on 3 different planets) : 

I don't get where the FPS throttle is. I'd like to know if this problem is inherent to the game or if something is wrong with the way I configured my computer ^^

I checked in other games and the CPU or GPU usage can go above the 50% we see here.

Here are my computer specs : msi gtx970 / i5 6500@3.2GHz / 8Gb RAM / 1680*1050 display

5 hours ago, Earendil said:

Hi ! Same problem...................................

I don't get where the FPS throttle is. I'd like to know if this problem is inherent to the game or if something is wrong with the way I configured my computer ^^

I checked in other games and the CPU or GPU usage can go above the 50% we see here.

Here are my computer specs : msi gtx970 / i5 6500@3.2GHz / 8Gb RAM / 1680*1050 display

Yea, it's the game's version. We just have to wait for a new patch. Friend who has a reference gtx 1080 and a 6700k @ 4.5ghz told me that he was getting 2000mhz before and now he isn't so guess we'll wait. 

Generally when you see under utilization on the CPU & GPU it means some other resource is the bottleneck. We'll need to do some more HW testing to identify exactly what the bottle neck is.

7 hours ago, SES_Zabir said:

Generally when you see under utilization on the CPU & GPU it means some other resource is the bottleneck. We'll need to do some more HW testing to identify exactly what the bottle neck is.

Okay. So I want to give as much information as possible and tell you step by step what I did and what happened.

After work, I started the game up and saw patch 109. I loaded up the usual save-game and saw that i was at 99% GPU usage but at the same 1240mhz (This is the frequency when the GPU is at 0% use).

The friend I mentioned about him have a 6700k had a world he wanted me to checkout so I joined him. The same 99% usage and frequency was happening with ~45 fps on average. So I decided to push the frequency to it's correct clock by starting up Overwatch since even at the main menu, it's at the boost clock.

Before running Overwatch: (image1)

f4172e3fc6.png

After running Overwatch: (image2)

f47d02feb3.png

I was honestly shocked to see this result. So I exited overwatch to see if it would keep the clock speed. The first time, It reverted back. I tried a second time and it went back to image2 except after exiting overwatch this time, the core speed stayed as well as the fps. After finding this out, I quit Astroneer (GPU at 0%, Idle, no games running). Started the game back up and noticed the image2 clock stayed! I loaded up my save file and the speed and usage was basically like this but the fps was back to the same as the Original Post. I had my friend join me because when he tried to do the same thing, yes the frequency went up but the fps didn't change at all. When he joined, it was as if we swapped places, his FPS was 62 and mine was in the 25-30 range.

Decided to take a break and came back to find a new patch (2.111). Always nice to see you guys working hard and that's why I'm giving as much information as possible to help you (if it even does). The frequency went back to the low 1200's and usage fluctuating. I started Overwatch after loading the savegame and found myself in a storm but this was what came back:

e30e3976db.png

What I've basically concluded is that the host is having to handle a lot of stuff hence the frame loss because if I join my friend (i can't since he's not online), I would be right back to the 62 fps. What I don't understand is that none of my components are at 100% at this moment (GPU / CPU / RAM / Network / SSD). There are no hard faults/sec happening on the memory either.

Something new occurred to me. The moment I load the game, it's using ~1gb of Memory, driving around in a truck eventually rises to 2gb of use (no problem in terms of the rise, sounds normal since it's loading in new terrain and whatnot). While it was rising and loading stuff in, there was choppiness as it loaded new grass patches. Once it reaches above 2gb, a surge on the memory goes from 2gb to 1.5gb. It seems like it's trying to compensate for the usage?

Anyway, I hope this somehow helps. If you need anything from me, let me know.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:43 PM, Sy1v said:

I'm having issues getting any GPU Usage above 30% @ 1266mhz. I get 1607mhz for less than a second when loading the game, then goes back to 1266. So because of this, after 30 minutes of playing, FPS will drop to 20, and if anyone joins me, 5 fps. That's right, 5. All drivers up to date, on Beta build 02.108. Tried running game as admin.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

if you are on windows,while running the game,Try going (ctrl+alt+del) all at the same time, task manager, find astroneer program, right click, find go to details, right click again, find "set priority", click realtime, exit task manager, resume (possibly)1080x60 gameplay

19 hours ago, bbraun2 said:

if you are on windows,while running the game,Try going (ctrl+alt+del) all at the same time, task manager, find astroneer program, right click, find go to details, right click again, find "set priority", click realtime, exit task manager, resume (possibly)1080x60 gameplay

I did try this and there was no change at all. I responded to a post about similar issues with different specs a few days ago and was able to get the OP's savegame and compare it with some others. (I'll continue the post after the quote)

On 12/23/2016 at 5:18 PM, Sy1v said:

Okay. So I've got at least some good news but first the differences. The following images are on version 0.2.111.0

Voodoo's Screen shots and usage vs mine:

e44c52ae97.jpg

a057caf99b.jpg

Here we see that Thread1 is not being stressed out.

Now Veltox vs mine:

Fuel Condenser : 

5b008ea9f4.jpg

Trading Platform:

9c4b31e9c5.jpg

Storage:

38897d658b.jpg

Now for the good(ish) news. As I mentioned before, the game was never using more than 2.1gb of memory, I decided to assign a heapsize of 8gb to try and force it to use more, and it did! But not as much as one may think, instead it allocates the following way: Shoots close to 1.8gb and begins to rise until 2.8gb and then falls down to 2.1gb (instead of the 1.0 -> 2.1 -> 1.5). The unfortunate part is it didn't improve the FPS to go back to 62.

So what did this do and why is it good news?

Although it has not risen the FPS to what we want, it is not choppy at all. It is a whole lot more playable when driving around instead of dipping down all the time. This temporary fix should keep us able to play until they find what the issue is

Sounds great, how do I do this to try for myself?

1) Go to your steam library and right click Astroneer -> Properties -> Set launch options.

2) The following is depending on how much RAM you have for your computer (we want to use half of what the computer offers so anything under 4gb may not see any benefit. This may be overkill for some rigs but lets face it, you're not using all of it, right?):

32gb:

-heapsize 16777216

16gb:

-heapsize 8388608

8gb:

-heapsize 4194304

3) After you choose which heapsize you need (half of your rig's memory size), press okay and launch the game.

Some of their ideas was that it was just way too CPU intense. I sadly disagree simply due to not using 99+% on my own Core/Thread 1 @ 4.5ghz. It may be using their CPU's core1 at 99+% but not mine so it's clear it's not CPU. The performance loss is not due to the hard drive as there was no change from a WD Black to an M.2 950 Pro SSD. I'll make a checklist of my current findings.

CPU: Can't be - I'm not hitting 99%. (reasoning above)

GPU: No way, same reason for CPU and it's not even pushing the clock speed. (Drivers are up to date, version 109 briefly was able to keep the boost clock).

RAM: Honestly my only thought at this point. Maybe the game should require more memory as forcing the game using the launch options slightly helped against the stuttering FPS (See end of quote above). Minecraft uses more memory than Astroneer (maybe it's a matter of efficiency that I don't see or probably Java)

HDD/SSD: No change observed when switching to a faster drive.

At this point, I'm concluding it's simply a matter of making a few changes to the game. I wish I could help but I'm a novice programmer (learning programming atm, completed C++, yay) and am completely unfamiliar with what they would have to do and/or test to make the fix. The best I can do is provide the best kind of feedback I can to somehow help them push the performance patch. Maybe give options to lower the resolution of specific textures?

Keep in mind this is a pre-alpha and not optimized. Individual cores will not be maxed if the bottleneck is inefficient code. Time spent making calls to memory counts as idle time for a processor, so even if the core isn't at 100% utilization the thread itself can't run any faster.