enginaut616

Two Ideas for Environmental Changes

So, the game so far can be challenging but all of the challenges are circumvented pretty easily. Adding some new environmental factors might spice the game up a bit.

Weather Additions

The game already contains the dust and rock storm, which is great. I've suffered my fair share of deaths due to flying boulders destroying me. Adding some base and equipment damage to this storm would make it more realistic (this has been brought up on other threads).

Another thing we can add is temperature change. During the day, the temperature is mild or hot, and countermeasures must be taken to move past this barrier. Suit/backpack upgrades and the addition of a small air conditioner unit to the build options would allow us to combat the hot climate. During the night, the temperature drops to minus 120F and we must use suit heaters or other sources to stay alive. I do think that the relatively rapid change from day to night should be slowed down to allow for the implementation of climate-combating equipment.

Environmental Hostility

I have grown used to the ability to wander the planet without too much worry of death. The gaseous plants inside the caves and fall/suffocation death are about the only ways you can die. I don't really fancy the idea of adding hostile enemies and turning this wonderful game into a FPS. My suggestion is adding more to the environment that can bring about our lonely existence's demise. A couple of ways include the weather/temperature changes I mentioned above as well as planet structure changes.

Turn a nearby mountain into a new mineral's mining ground. This mineral (we'll call it Xanadium for fun) is extremely rare and packs a punch in terms of upgrades. It's available in small quantities and multiple veins must be found to make it worth it (adding exploration and challenge). The caveat?

Volcanoes

This mineral rich mountain is now a smoldering volcano. Dig too far for your precious Xanadium, and BOOM. One of the volcano's lava veins is broken through and now your cavern is filling with molten rock. How do you escape?? Ingenuity and quick thinking. 

Or you're mining around in a mountain and find some Xanadium. You didn't know this was a volcano but you risk it. Without warning, the volcano starts to erupt, leaving you only minutes to find your way out and escape the range of the volcano's spew. You're left with only the Xanadium you mined and the ash from the volcano blocks out the sun, dropping the temperature below freezing. You're left with no solar power for weeks, and you're forced to expand into new energy sources.

Volcanoes Aren't Entirely Evil

Using the erupting volcano as a power source could increase your options for energy. Geothermal energy as an energy source could require you to venture into the heart of a volcano or mine deep shafts where you place probes to pick up the heat and convert it into energy. 

Sucking up lava as a volcano erupts would allow you to store it on your pack as a heat source for those blistering cold nights, and, while the ash blocks the sun, blistering cold days.

perfectly spoken but i want more storms imagine a tornado that throws your rover at you or a storm siren going off and you gotta rush back to your base to idk get into your bunker or somthing

"

Volcanoes Aren't Entirely Evil

Using the erupting volcano as a power source could increase your options for energy. Geothermal energy as an energy source could require you to venture into the heart of a volcano or mine deep shafts where you place probes to pick up the heat and convert it into energy. 

Sucking up lava as a volcano erupts would allow you to store it on your pack as a heat source for those blistering cold nights, and, while the ash blocks the sun, blistering cold days.

"

Also I thought about it, and convenient extraction of lithium in the volcano with the help of Special and gadgets

Look at the road map... there is a topic named "complex hazards"... I think the devs have something like that in the pipe. :)