thevlad

Oxygen should not be infinite

Sorry for my English...
So.

A number of functional ideas that make the game a bit more exciting (I think)

1. Oxygen.

Oxygen is based must be terminated if the player does nothing. For example, initially the tank will last for 30 minutes per player. The oxygen can be extracted in four ways:
a) collect, as a regular resource and initial refuel the tank;
b) build a mine field on oxygen and attach its hoses. Each mine will bring, 0.25 of consumption rates by one player;
c) build on the basis of a platform with a greenhouse. Each greenhouse needs a seed (once). Seeds can be found on the planet. Depending on the plant growth of oxygen will be from 0.1 to 0.3 from the norm;
g) was found in the ruins of the balloon with a capacity varying from 5 to 15 minutes.

Mine and greenhouse require energy constantly.
The more mines and greenhouses - the oxygen is consumed slowly. When the cumulative rate of output exceeds consumption - oxygen will accumulate and be possible to fill the tanks.

1.1 Tanks for transport.

In transport, as there is no oxygen. To do this, you need to install the tank, which can be found or do it yourself. The tank works like a battery.

1.2 Supports and hoses.

Reduce the number of poles and 8. The hose must be done separately. Hoses come in two flavors: the oxygen and combined. Oxygen may only be carried out oxygen. Combination may carry oxygen and energy.
Different hoses are made from a variety of resources.

Recipes:
1 = 8 rubber oxygen hose
(1 + 1 tires copper / aluminum / metal) = 8 combined hose
1 oxygen hose + 1 copper / aluminum / metal composite hose = 1

To install the support you need to inventory was 1 support and 1 type of hose.

But instead, double the amount of oxygen in the tanks of the suit.

P.S.

It has already been a lot of ideas about this. I think it's a good idea. In addition, I will say that all this can be combined into one unit, and units / programs to look for in the wreckage.

In a game with such advanced futuristic capabilities, O2 i would think is one of the fundamental hurdles that tech has covered for long term space exploration.

This is why it is very plausible for a base to have an unlimited O2 Generator, yet backpacks be incapable of such production.

With so much possible  in this world, and yet to be realized because of the current production phase, adding such a base survival mechanic such as oxygen, beyond what already exists (tethers and mineable O2) seems a bit unnecessary.  Once you leave base O2 survival is real.  However a new mechanic and time sink based around replenishing the main base O2 supplies, along with eventual food and water, though realistic depending on "tech level" may be a bit much.

The  mechanic for requiring O2 mining is there and needed, and with future extensions to our bases, and such O2-care may be come a reality with remote bases or something in that direction?

Edited by Mica

I'd be down with vehicles/tethers not refilling oxygen, but rather halting oxygen loss. I assume jumping into a habitat would refill. 

Oh, and to avoid getting stuck with no nearby oxygen spawns, make the two ports on the habitat slowly refill those crafted oxygen tanks. 

1 hour ago, Mica said:

With so much possible  in this world, and yet to be realized because of the current production phase, adding such a base survival mechanic such as oxygen, beyond what already exists (tethers and mineable O2) seems a bit unnecessary.  Once you leave base O2 survival is real.  However a new mechanic and time sink based around replenishing the main base O2 supplies, along with eventual food and water, though realistic depending on "tech level" may be a bit much.

At the moment, it is not difficult to survive in the distance from the base. And if you have a vehicle, it is quite simple. Further, with the machine that the player is no longer tied to the database. In most cases, no need to use filters or to produce oxygen. For example, for 30 minutes to build the first car, and with his help, for 1-2 hours to open all the technology (at the moment).

It would be more realistic (good realism). The game is very atmospheric, I would like to feel yourself in the "alien world" for real. By a long and dangerous journey you need to prepare, is not it?

1 hour ago, Mica said:

The  mechanic for requiring O2 mining is there and needed, and with future extensions to our bases, and such O2-care may be come a reality with remote bases or something in that direction?

The oxygen, which can result in all - this is one of the important factors of survival. By the middle of the game, the problem with the lack of oxygen at the bases will be absent, but the danger will travel between bases or very long traveling. This adds a third element of the game that will stand between the construction of the base (fixed) and travel.

Edited by thevlad

I guess filters for other planets would be fine (habitat contains simple filter)

it does not work on fire planets (smoke and awful gass planets)

Else don't really change much here.

Like before it can be attached to the habitat as a filter much like how you do to yourself.

only bad thing its recharing slower at that type of planet (because of the filter).

Edited by Freddy

@Freddy filters recycle your oxygen that you breath, not filter it from the air. They have these in real life. The catch is that they get used up and cannot be recharged. I think that they should maybe be renamed to scrubbers because that's what they are really called, and they don't actually filter like someone would think.

I don't like the idea of finite oxygen, to be honest. I know it's not completely realistic. Maybe there could be a difficulty setting for it because I know some people are up for the challenge. The reason I play this game, though, is that it's really easy and I can just do whatever I want. I like exploring and building stuff with voxels. Having to go and refill my oxygen every few minutes would just take away from the game. I'm fine with vehicles not having infinite oxygen, but I really think the base should.

Edited by bananatrooper52

That sounds like a good idea. Or a greenhouse. The problem is that when you start a game that's what you will have to do, right away, or you will run out of oxygen and not be able to respawn. I guess you could just respawn with oxygen so you could finish. But not all planets have organics in plentiful amounts, and even planets that do will get used up quickly. Finite oxygen works in games like, for example, Space Engineers, because the planets are much larger and the resources are much more plentiful, and a suit of oxygen can last for quite a few minutes, rather than seconds. I like to be open-minded, though. I am open to changing my mind if someone can really persuade me.

In fact, if you say that the game must be simple and clear - it is right. But it should be fun and. Just something to do (or not to do =)) - is a job. A plunge into the world created by designers and assume the role of a hero - it's better, is not it?
When I started the game, the first thing I felt, this is the spirit of Cosmic Odyssey, Martian and so on ... (Remember, these people have had a lot of resources, but they were limited. Oxygen is one of them). I felt like a character in a strange and dangerous world.

All of this is subjective, but if the developers want the same, the need to think in the direction of the simulator, but not the arcade.

9 hours ago, bananatrooper52 said:

filters recycle your oxygen that you breath, not filter it from the air. They have these in real life. The catch is that they get used up and cannot be recharged. I think that they should maybe be renamed to scrubbers because that's what they are really called, and they don't actually filter like someone would think. Having to go and refill my oxygen every few minutes would just take away from the game.

well we could change it into something else (since its not a normal world or like reality)

using a generator (builds where a printer etc would be)

fills it with a different type of "fluid" like fuel that will act like a substance for oxygen.

+ you find those blue pockets of air in the ground as well.

So by using this fluid you can have more containers on it and you don't need to go back and forth ALL the time.

Also makes it more of an challange but maybe not in the same way?

if not one could make a limit function to that machine and it has to be rebuild over time + its using power (so more to keep it running on those gass filled planets).

but having this on all planets would be a bit much then having this on special planets where rare stuff could be (in danger zones).

I had a few thoughts on Oxygen in a couple of other threads.

I'll just copy paste that second quote here since I later added more onto it since the forum wouldn't let me edit my post to add more.

Spoiler

Change the name...or change the functionality? 

Filters could be changed to provide oxygen but also mitigate/negate gas/poison damage at the cost of filter durability.

I'd like this since currently your damage/health is only visible by red screen, which I think is good for things like fall damage and other forms of impact/physical damage.

But what I'd like to see is that gas damage doesn't 'damage' you per se, but instead makes your players oxygen consumption rate much higher as he is choking for breath, maybe more oxygen needs to be pumped to the player to vent out or filter the gas and this is where crafting Filters ahead of time would be a smart idea.

Likewise with Power cells, there could be enemies (for now just plants) that have an electrical charge that causes your player's suit to malfunction and energy spike, causing energy to deplete for as long as the 'shock' debuff lasts, even when not doing something that consumes energy BUT if consuming energy e.g. by actively trying to dig the plant out of the ground to 'kill' it or otherwise fighting 'enemies', it would cause some sort of electric discharge which would have some sort of visual and audible feedback to the player like sparks of electricity arcing all over the player's suit to tell him 'hey, you might want to stop doing that' and the energy bar on the suit would flash red or fill up red, when it reaches the top there would be a shock sending the player onto his butt and damaging him. But crafting power cells gives you a source of power that is both consumable and disposable, meaning that digging or using energy in other ways (a gun, maybe? ;) ) while under the 'shock' effect would rapidly deplete the power cells and effect those instead of the player's actual suit, giving a way to avoid the electric feedback.

This would make fighting enemies (plants for now xD ) much less trivial

There was also a little bit of discussion in this thread where I gave a few ideas on oxygen being somewhat of a more finite resource:

I think it's a shame that there are all these oxygen deposits and even replenishable oxygen 'nodes' dotted around the surface and in caves, but the usage cases of oxygen as a collectable resource are few and far between. You can argue that you can force yourself to not build tethers to make these oxygen deposits more valuable but that's a limit forced on the player by himself and for the most part I don't agree with this being necessary outside of doing specific 'challenge runs'.

Rather than giving the player an arbitrary 'time limit' (30 mins for example) on the amount of infinite oxygen they start with, I'd rather say that the Habitat building itself (including the one you initially receive for free when you first start a new save and land on the planet) should have its own capacity for both power and oxygen that starts out full, so the player has some initial breathing room (if you pardon the pun ;) ) when starting a new game. From there, the options for branching out in early game would be more dependent on the starting location. If there were oxygen deposits or replenishable nodes nearby when you started you'd be in luck and could focus on power generation or base expansion. Super early game, you can quickly gather up some compound and build 4 small solar panels for quite a good bit of power generation but unless you're actively digging a lot the excess generation goes to waste, which is a shame because the first day's worth of light can quickly fly by if you're assessing your new surroundings. If the habitat had it's own little capacity for power and capacity/generation capability for oxygen you'd have more of a reason to slap some early solars on it since it would still be storing up a little bit (maybe have this be something the player can eventually upgrade in later stages of the game) of power to fill up your own suit when you return to it and also very slowly building up a small supply of oxygen, giving you the option to head out without being tethered to the habitat even in the first few minutes of a new save.

I do think that the habitat should have at least a tiny amount of oxygen production (using it's own power supply to fill up the oxygen whenever it isn't filled) so that the player isn't screwed should he land in a spot where there are no visible sources for oxygen. I think that the rate of oxygen generation should be roughly enough to supply a single player who is walking around but be at a deficit if the player is sprinting or jumping multiple times. With regards to multiplayer, if you are having friends join you at the start of the game there would be a further incentive to branch out in different directions to get at least a nugget or two of oxygen to plug into the habitat's storage slots so it can be slowly shared out to each player, since the initial habitat was only made to supply one human (then in the future we could have bigger habitat buildings with more than one 'seat', they would also have a better oxygen generation rate to cater for more than one human.

Hope my ideas were at least legible, I often find myself starting off wanting to make a really short comment on an idea I had but as I type I think of more and more. But that's just because I really think that oxygen dependancy should be a core feature of the game especially in the early game, but having it as an infinite resources from the get-go is sort of detractive from the experience. 

Plz keep the O2 usage how it is! This game is a really relaxing one! (Disputed dust storms, snow storms, etc.) Having to constantly find oxygen would ruin it! It's already kind of annoying to place down tethers, but those just make it so the game isn't a piece of cake!

I get WHY you want limited oxygen, but then some players (including me :P) want to keep the game relaxing!

If you're attached to the habitat I think it should be infinite.  Honestly this game is super relaxing and fun to kick back and play and I don't want it to be a grind.  If you want more of a challenge go play Elite Dangerous (just don't let me find you in game ;)). 

8 hours ago, Nolen said:

Plz keep the O2 usage how it is! This game is a really relaxing one! (Disputed dust storms, snow storms, etc.) Having to constantly find oxygen would ruin it! It's already kind of annoying to place down tethers, but those just make it so the game isn't a piece of cake!

Nobody says that the oxygen extraction will have to deal with constantly. Oxygen will end only at the beginning, and if nothing is done to normalize its production.
- Build some mines on the field
- Build several hydroponics
- Yes. And you can find also in the ruins =)

And yet! Oxygen is the primary base - again is infinite (if you follow the energy, of course). But if you want to fly to another planet - you need to take care of what there is to breathe.

Why do people think this would make it a 'constant' search for Oxygen? In games like this where you can research and build there is such a thing as infrastructure. You'd already start with some oxygen generation for free at your starting hab, but it would be down to you to build up a little more generation and storage of it just like you can do with Power. It's only when you leave for another planet where you don't get a free habitat that you might want to plan ahead.

Hunger and other survival mechanics are already on the roadmap, this game is going to feature some form of challenge survival-wise so I don't see why people are so adverse to oxygen being one of the challenges. Of course, for the players who want a more relaxing game a creative mode is also on the roadmap :) 

Okay, I think that my problem with limited oxygen is that it only lasts for a few seconds on a full tank. Now that I've though about it, limited oxygen would not be so bad if it drained much more slowly, like for 10 or 20 minutes, and extra tanks could hold more than that since they are a hassle to carry around. But the current depletion rate is currently way way way too high. Replenishing oxygen plants would have to give you more than 60 seconds of oxygen.

i like the idea that oxygen isn't infinite, but eventually with generators it would be just like it is now where as long as the O2 generator is generating then you have O2 as long as you are tethered. This is just like power and tethers.

Perhaps the habitat, given the name, has built in generator or filters but you only get the oxygen if you get inside until you are able to build an actual O2 structure.

Additionally, we start on an earth-like planet, so why not ignore oxygen on Terran but other planets it becomes harder where planets like Barren have no oxygen since it has no atmosphere (which also begs to wonder how the fuel condenser even works on Barren).

Someone also suggested force field generators (to protect against storms) which also hinted at oxygen generation within the "bubble" .

Anyway, i think there could be a lot of fun gameplay with oxygen management, where just like most survival mechanics it would become less of a problem as you progress.

11 hours ago, bananatrooper52 said:

Okay, I think that my problem with limited oxygen is that it only lasts for a few seconds on a full tank. Now that I've though about it, limited oxygen would not be so bad if it drained much more slowly, like for 10 or 20 minutes, and extra tanks could hold more than that since they are a hassle to carry around. But the current depletion rate is currently way way way too high. Replenishing oxygen plants would have to give you more than 60 seconds of oxygen.

Oxygen nuggets last quite a bit if you reserve a storage slot or two for them, but since oxygen is infinite so long as you're tethered the usage cases of oxygen nuggets are very slim so often people don't realise.

11 hours ago, Nafen said:

Oxygen nuggets last quite a bit if you reserve a storage slot or two for them, but since oxygen is infinite so long as you're tethered the usage cases of oxygen nuggets are very slim so often people don't realise.

Hmm... But the topic is discussed the mechanics of the global use of oxygen. On the contrary, to significantly increase the volume of the tank (or reduce the rate of oxygen consumption). At the same time, to make the oxygen at the bases and transport limited with the ability to build up the infrastructure of its production.

In other words, to take a trip on a transport or on another planet, will have to bring a tank of oxygen and set it on the transport. But it is not those tanks that are installed in the suits, and large, which are printed on the printer. These tanks can contain from 15 to 30 minutes of oxygen for one person. To recharge these tanks on base or traveling, collecting oxygen from fields or finding prepared (filled randomly) tanks in ruins. It should be noted that oxygen transport or base could be used only when the astronaut is breathing.

23 hours ago, Dragonphire said:

Additionally, we start on an earth-like planet, so why not ignore oxygen on Terran but other planets it becomes harder where planets like Barren have no oxygen since it has no atmosphere (which also begs to wonder how the fuel condenser even works on Barren).

This line puts me in the mind of oxygen being easier on Terran when you're starting not because it's ignored but because Terran does have extremely thin oxygen that you can condense at a building in your base for very little cost to keep your oxygen supply up.  Then, on planets without any available oxygen the machine wouldn't work you would have to generate is in more difficult ways like Electrolysis (if/when water is implemented) or other things other people have suggested.

Of course, this would need to be made clear to the player somehow which with the UI-free design might be difficult.