Baked Spartan

Get rid of clicking button to control camera

Is it just me, or is clicking a button to move the camera seem just a little unnecessary? why not just make it like every other game and have just moving the mouse like normal control the camera? For example make the camera like work just like H1Z1; I know the two games are nothing alike, but their camera controls/ crosshair controls coincide as one, and I think that's how this game should be. if you want to look around without changing the direction the player is facing then by all means leave the right click camera turning just for that, but having to click the right mouse button while moving is awkward at times :/. 

p.s. if you don't make this change i'll still definitely play the game, but it would be easier to not have to right click every time i'm running around. 

Thanks!

Baked Spartan

When they're going to add ''settings'' for the game into the menu, they could totally put that up in there. Good idea sir!

Holding RMB feels natural to me for controlling the camera in a third person game with mouse controls for aiming and manipulating objects.  Locking the aiming to the facing of the camera would be a serious detriment to gameplay because of the sheer amount that said gameplay relies on manipulating many objects over a large area.  Just shuffling items from a smelter to the printer right next to it would become a chore and in tight caves it would be nigh impossible to get your camera into a position where you can see what you're doing and aim where you want to.

You acknowledge that H1Z1 and Astroneer and very different games, but the fact that they both have third person cameras seems to put them in the same category for you, and that's not the entire story.  The reasons the crosshair-locked camera would not work for Astroneer are tied the rest of the game mechanics.  Most notably, the environment in H1Z1 is built by designers with the camera in mind and a lot of choices are made to keep that locked camera functioning properly.  With a procedural environment that can be modified by the player the designers can't provide that kind of experience so that have to provide the controls necessary to navigate the kind of game that it is.

Now, for those who dislike holding down RMB all day, a setting to turn it into a toggle button would certainly be viable, but I think eliminating the mechanic and using RMB for other things would be a disaster.

Edited by CherubimCW

Please don't change it, or only with a configurable setting to the users liking.

If you don't need to press the right mouse for looking around, you start changing your view just by wanting to reach an UI element, in our case a console or node or icon on a machine or vehcile. So the developer need to add a hotkey or two different input modes to change between move view and normal mouse moving to click/drag and drop. Different games tried that out and it's horrible to control and not intuitive at all. It breaks the flow of input, every time you just want to press a button you need to disable the view change not to mention drag and drop. And because the UI in this particular game is by pressing graphics elements in the 3D world with the mouse and dragging them around it would be disastrous to bind the view change as well on to mouse without RMB

I'm going to throw it out there and say this game was designed with VR in mind, clearly. I don't have VR so I can't really speak to how this affects certain things, but I don't know how immersive right-clicking everything in a VR setting would be. Don't know. Never played one, but I imagine this way is better for being immersed in one's environment. Based on how everything works, you can clearly tell VR was a big factor. 

Because of this, I'm gonna' have to say "no." I'm also going to say "no" because the approach to playing this game is very simplistic and if you throw in menus everywhere you turn, that simplicity breaks. People need to be able to appreciate the beauty of this game without having to screw around with menus and "where's this" kinda' stuff. 

I guess an option to change how the camera functions (or a toggle to release your cursor) would be perfectly fine, but not a full-on change and it should be defaulted the way it is currently. 

Edited by Punnilingus

What is it that you see that implies it was designed for VR?  The only thing the interface has in common or even comparable to a VR game is the UI free design, which is a lovely choice and while it is necessary for VR it is by no means unique to it. 

VR is in fact adding another layer of input because you can change head and hands/mouse independently. In that case it would be okay if not necesarry. But as it is now, we need both types of input on one device because we don't have three hands. And it's better for input flow to right mouse for look around and release it whenever you want to click something or drag and drop something.

Come to think of that. Has anyone tested what happens if you switch that. View on mouse without RMB and need to press RMB when you want to move the mouse/click/drag something ... of course you need to press both buttons a lot but who knows ... maybe it is better. Although pressing both buttons and move the mouse around is really not intuitive might add a little bit too much friction to the surface.

Edited by Hardcase

2 minutes ago, bony_228 said:

The wider configuration, the better

True, nothing wrong with having more options available to us. I know you can change your control settings but I never tried to see if you could with the right click. I have gotten use to the right click but I'm just use to not having to do that with other games. So I try to be adaptable lol

20 hours ago, CherubimCW said:

Holding RMB feels natural to me for controlling the camera in a third person game with mouse controls for aiming and manipulating objects.  Locking the aiming to the facing of the camera would be a serious detriment to gameplay because of the sheer amount that said gameplay relies on manipulating many objects over a large area.  Just shuffling items from a smelter to the printer right next to it would become a chore and in tight caves it would be nigh impossible to get your camera into a position where you can see what you're doing and aim where you want to.

You acknowledge that H1Z1 and Astroneer and very different games, but the fact that they both have third person cameras seems to put them in the same category for you, and that's not the entire story.  The reasons the crosshair-locked camera would not work for Astroneer are tied the rest of the game mechanics.  Most notably, the environment in H1Z1 is built by designers with the camera in mind and a lot of choices are made to keep that locked camera functioning properly.  With a procedural environment that can be modified by the player the designers can't provide that kind of experience so that have to provide the controls necessary to navigate the kind of game that it is.

Now, for those who dislike holding down RMB all day, a setting to turn it into a toggle button would certainly be viable, but I think eliminating the mechanic and using RMB for other things would be a disaster.

After further gameplay, there are totally times where manual control of the  camera by clicking right is necessary; I honestly barely even notice it now. Having options though would be nice, but you are right there are times where it is completely necessary. It's just a little weird sometimes when you're carrying something like materials or a research object, because the character will move whatever direction the crosshairs are going without moving the camera, and it just takes getting used to for a little bit because that's not how the character acts when he isn't carrying an object. 

My idea is to add a type of in-game toggle.  So you would have a camera auto center type set to default.  BUT when you double click the RMB it will go to the mode that we use now.  

1. Default camera is set to follow or auto center/level.  

2. Double clicking RMB turns free camera (what I am calling the current camera mode)  > send HUD notification "enabled"

3.  Double clicking RMB again the turns the camera back to the follow and auto center/level mode.  > send HUD notification "disabled "

I think we should avoid there being a menu option that simply turns either mode off or on, since I think that game play requires both modes on the fly.  I realize that a key could be mapped to do this same thing, but I like the idea of not moving my fingers to the toggle key.  The toggle on the mouse seems like it would be quicker and seamless.   This game needs to have a quick and seamless feel for all controls. 

Thoughts?  

Edited by xantar2482

27 minutes ago, xantar2482 said:

My idea is to add a type of in-game toggle.  So you would have a camera auto center type set to default.  BUT when you double click the RMB it will go to the mode that we use now.  

1. Default camera is set to follow or auto center/level.  

2. Double clicking RMB turns free camera (what I am calling the current camera mode)  > send HUD notification "enabled"

3.  Double clicking RMB again the turns the camera back to the follow and auto center/level mode.  > send HUD notification "disabled "

I think we should avoid there being a menu option that simply turns either mode off or on, since I think that game play requires both modes on the fly.  I realize that a key could be mapped to do this same thing, but I like the idea of not moving my fingers to the toggle key.  The toggle on the mouse seems like it would be quicker and seamless.   This game needs to have a quick and seamless feel for all controls. 

Thoughts?  

maybe instead of double clicking, since there are times when you have to click to adjust the camera pretty rapidly, but instead an unused button that toggles it on or off, seeing as you wouldn't really need to switch between camera modes all that rapidly in most situations. it would be like pressing select when playing GTA or something. 

6 hours ago, Baked Spartan said:

maybe instead of double clicking, since there are times when you have to click to adjust the camera pretty rapidly, but instead an unused button that toggles it on or off, seeing as you wouldn't really need to switch between camera modes all that rapidly in most situations. it would be like pressing select when playing GTA or something. 

I agree.  I just thought that if the toggle were on the mouse it would feel more fluid.  I could always assign my extra mouse buttons to the toggle key.  

I feel it at least needs to be an option.  I'm also for an FPS option as the TPV weirds me out, I'm not against TPV in a game like this, I just want the option to not have it with a typical mouse curser auto view control scheme.

TL;DR

I would redefine that into a setting for mouse button actions in general.

other games like no mans sky need middle mouse to work properly ... laptop users get wrekt there trackpads dont have middle mouse button and they have to rely on "Neatmouse" emulator that binds mousefunctions to the keyboard on demand

Fixed mousecontrols are a bad choice

Edited by Warbeast

For some things, like when in a VEHICLE where you can't otherwise interact with objects, absolutely!

When you\re walking around, not so much. Holding right click to move camera means you don't need to look directly at every item to interact with it (like minecraft). right click to move camera so you can see the truck and the research station, then just clicking to move the items to the research is easy. Doing this in third person, when moving the mouse ALWAYS moves the camera would be hard.

Now, if there was a FIRST PERSON, then it makes a lot more sense. Looking around and clicking what you're looking at is easier in first person and would work well, because your frame of reference for both selecting items and moving is the same. Eg how minecraft works. When there is active movement area AND gui's / interfaces on the screen at the same time eg like MMO's, it makes a lot more sense for the primary function of the mouse to ve to click on things instead of camera control. This game currently fits more into the latter, since while there aren't really GUI's there is slots and buttons scattered about the screen constantly.

Better idea is to have a button to switch first person / third person mode, where first person looks and moves like minecraft, and third person looks and moves like current.

Edited by MCorgano

Yeah I already said that ya need it for some parts. Taking it out altogether would be chaotic lol. There are just sometimes where it's annoying, but I barely recognize it anymore. 

If you have a lot of power and a big excavation to do, you can test what always-look would feel like: Start terraforming. Hit the view button while continuing to terraform. In my experience, the view function will now be stuck, meaning you can look around as you terraform.

When I've done this accidentally, it was no good.

My only real complaint is the camera always turning with character movement. If I wanted my view to turn, I'd turn it myself.