Knuxton

200 - Steam - Terrain flatten cursor skips along one axis

Summary:
200 - Steam - Truck Glitched Into Terrain

Description: 

Hard to explain this one, but I made a video.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-mZhjWpKsl_M3VRWm9qSXRpTFk

Basically what happens is this: I'm on Arid planet, trying to use the terrain flatten tool to cover over some holes i made (health and safety was yelling at me for leaving them open and then falling into them repeatedly). But when I hold control for the flatten mode, then click and drag, the mouse moves smoothly along the ground in one axis, but then skips around on the other axis like its snapping to some kind of grid, leaving large gaps untouched in between. So far it's only happening on the Arid planet for me. The video I posted has the inhibitor mod equipped on the terrain tool, but the bug occurs both with and without mods attached. I just used it here so you could more easily see the snapping it's doing by showing it on an already-flat surface. As indicated in the video, movement is normal when using the raise and lower mode, only the flatten mode seems to skip around as you can see the mouse cursor move in a circle while the ground reticle only moves left to right smoothly but skips forward and backward by a large margin.

Platform:
Steam

Version / Build Number: 

Specifications:

• CPU: Intel i7 2700K 3.5GHz
  • GPU: GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: 12GB (3x 4GB DDR3 1066Hz)
  • Drive: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA
Edited by Wyvyrias
Fixed version in summary

This happens to me as well and I'd also uploaded a video.  Found your bug report while trying to see if I should write one of my own.

It seems to be most prevalent when leaving the starting planet.

I've also been getting this, but on Barren, and only on Barren. It also doesn't seem to be as bad as what was shown in that video, maybe it's related to planet size?

This still happens in update 215.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:16 PM, digger1213 said:

I've also been getting this, but on Barren, and only on Barren. It also doesn't seem to be as bad as what was shown in that video, maybe it's related to planet size?

My theory is that it's some sort of floating point rounding error/loss of precision due to very large numbers being involved -- so it gets more pronounced as you get further out.

8 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

You're on a fresh save?

I can confirm it still happens in 215 with a fresh save. I've even started experiencing it on other planets as well. Started seeing the same thing on the exotic planet, but not quite as severe.

I am running into the same problem: The terrain tool jumps forward or sideways while trying to flatten or smooth out terrain while on the Tundra planet. 

I have also run into the same issue on Arid, Barren and Exotic.

I have tried altering my graphic and display settings, thinking it was lag. As well as restarting the game, and changing locations on the planet.  

My PC:

• CPU: i7-7700HQ  2.80GHz
  • RAM: 8.00 GB
  • GPU: GTX 1070  378.97

I'm experiencing the same issue on 0.6.2.0 on a new planet (Radiated), it worked on other planets.

These posts are quite old, is there any solution to this problem?

This still happens on 0.6.5, on radiated (not other planets, so far).

PC Win 7 64-bit, mouse and keyboard
Steam 0.6.5

I can confirm that the bug occurs for me on 0.6.8.0 on different planets and that facing south almost eliminates the effect.

For clarification, face the Astroneer south, or the camera south?  He turns to face where the terrain tool is at, but the camera remains stationary until you hit a screen edge, so that makes it a lot more difficult to keep "south."

Had this happen in my first attempt to use the terrain tool in the new update just digging not flattening. It went away on its own when I put away and re-deployed my terrain tool. Played for hours afterward without any issue. I could move left and right but it made my character/camera spin with my cursor. And if I tried moving closer or further with the terrain tool cursor it wouldn't move then just suddenly jump to a new location.

This will most likely become a non-issue once terrain 2.0 rolls out, hopefully...

Edited by vvhorus

I'm seeing the same problem.  I've noticed it on Exotic, Arid, and Radiated.  Never seen it on Terran.  It' makes it really difficult to fill in some of the gaps, because the cursor jumps so far.

Version: 0.10.2.0, Steam.

My flattener is displaying several types of quirky behavior. In addition to the jumping about issue it seems to have "dead zones" at a certain distance from my Astroneer. The tool will flatten fairly well for a certain distance and then leave a gap of uneffected terrain and then further away it will work again. 

On 8/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, vvhorus said:

This will most likely become a non-issue once terrain 2.0 rolls out, hopefully...

I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they will prioritize fixing this in the current terrain engine, it would be redundant with T2.0 just around the corner. I seem to recall someone might have confirmed this recently over in the Astroneer discord, but I can't be bothered to go search and quote it ?

On 9/26/2018 at 3:26 PM, Knuxton said:

I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they will prioritize fixing this in the current terrain engine, it would be redundant with T2.0 just around the corner.

it feels like it's been just around the corner for an awfully long time. wasn't it supposed to be released to the players this month?

also, there's a lot riding on this new terrain system. let's hope it meets expectations. realistically, we all know that it will fix a bunch of things, but (at first) probably have a bunch of problems all of it's own.

i am optimistic, though. but i'm glad i didn't hold my breath when it the release date was first mentioned. I'll let my Astroneer hold her breath for me!

would like to point out however that the first post in this thread is a year old. any problem that still around after a year of development is going to make me concerned for the future.

that is all.

I can verify that this is still an issue on Irradiated with version 0.10.2.0.  It is odd that this issue does not occur (for me) on Terran (starting world).  

Game CFG:

• Graphics:  All set to Ultra
  • Display:   2560 X1440

System Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro,  Version  10.0.17134 Build 17134
  • NVIDIA Drivers 411.63
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC GAMING, 06G-P4-6267-KR 
  • Intel Core I7-8700 3.2GHz 6 Core
  • Intel SSD 535 Series 240GB
  • Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000
  • ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac Mainboard
  • EVGA SuperNova NEX 750w Power Supply
  • Dell GSYNC  S2716DG Monitor

i'm wondering if this issue has something to do with the gravity implementation on these planets. i only get it (along with my astroneer getting stuck on invisible lumps on the ground) on the higher gravity worlds - you know, the ones where you cant jump very high.