FPS BUG REPORT:

So I played Astroneer about 3 hours now, and it's awesome! but what I noticed is when I builded more and more platforms it started to use more and more FPS atm if I look at my base I will lose 10 FPS, It goes from 60 fps to 50 fps, (I know that 50fps still is good) but if I keep building, there will only be more, and more, and more fps lagg.

-Veltox

Edit: When I made the screenshots I noticed that this happend to some of the platforms, not all of them. The platforms that cause me/us fps lagg are located in the screenshots below.

Some screenshots:

unknown.png

Top left corner: 47 FPS / 30 FPS

Platform: Fuel Condenser

unknown.png

Top left corner: 50 / 60 FPS

Platform: Trading platform

unknown.png

Top left corner: 48 / 30 FPS

Platform: Storage

Before people think, maybe it's your graphics card. I'm sure this isn't the case.

As I run all of the Call of Duty games on Ultra, and Rainbow Six Siege ultra 80 FPS

Graphics Card: RX 480 8GB

Processor: I7 4770K

This was my bug report, Thanks for reading.

Hi Veltox, I was about to create a similar thread but since you already did it i'll just post my specs here. I have about the same bug as you, except I assume it is maybe not (only) due to building but also due to the high presence of tether. I've been exploring a lot yesterday night, and at first, FPS was some 140 but the more I explored and the more I put extension, the less FPS I had. 

qSd1k3f.png

Exactly, but your theory can be right as well. As more we explore the more it renders? as the world is (I think) randomly created it keeps generating the planet and if we triggered that area, I think our PC's need to render that extra, WHICH can cause in FPS drops in some places.

-Veltox

EDIT:
People can also come with the theory if my RAM is high enough.

It's 16GB So that shouldn't be the case as well!

Same for me, 

After that you start to build / explore the game goes to 20-30 fps making it unplayable.

- Attach specifications of my pc

SPEC.png

Edited by WALTER34

Basically got that game after I buy H1Z1 and got refunded cause the game is unplayable... Now Steam will laugh their ass off when I ask them to refund Astroneer... I think I am not doing it today but it's grinding my gears. I'm also disappointed because I love the game but it's unplayable so I'll have to refund it if it's not fixed... Maybe we will have some answers from Era-ers ? Have a nice day.

Edited by Nezu

Hi ! I have a similar problem, the FPS drops when I move around platforms. The difference I think is that I need to be walking (or running) for the bug to happen. If I stay still or if I'm not in my base, the FPS is stable. And again the more platforms I add, the longer the spike, until it becomes unplayable. I can imagine what it must be like with 150 connectors for your moon ring Quarit xD (awesome idea btw)

Here's a link to a video showing what I get on my computer : https://youtu.be/XJc00ybrv9k

To me it looks like some kind of VRAM occupation issue with these platforms. I've got a GTX970 with 4Gb of indicated VRAM (apparently it's more like 3.5Gb) and 8 Gb of RAM.

I don't know how to display the VRAM in real time but I'll look this up.

HI , same problem , the more i discover the less fps , i check my theory and i started a trip around my planet i started with 40 fps , i travel around the planet for like 2 hours , i saw my fps go down little by little return home with 20-30 fps and have played with this fps since there.3

Untitled.png

6 hours ago, Nezu said:

Basically got that game after I buy H1Z1 and got refunded cause the game is unplayable... Now Steam will laugh their ass off when I ask them to refund Astroneer... I think I am not doing it today but it's grinding my gears. I'm also disappointed because I love the game but it's unplayable so I'll have to refund it if it's not fixed... Maybe we will have some answers from Era-ers ? Have a nice day.

They have already  said they are working on it. Well, the tethers. So refunding the game is a waste. So I suggest you don't do it

I'm getting a solid 7-9 fps with my new save, NEW!!

My pc is not the best though

I'M STILL GOING TO PLAY THE GAME EVEN IF IT MAKES ME DEAF!!!

I only had 2 extentions to my "base"

DESKTOP-EFE7I29.xml

Edited by GhostForce

@Veltox Yes this game is just too good for refunding it in my opinion, I just over reacted after playing 4 straight hours @25FPS lol... May I add you in Steam if you use Steam? So we can try play in co-op ? Thanks bye

@GhostForce Nice! Goodluck with the game. But keep in mind after a few buildings and exploration your game will lagg again!

14 hours ago, Veltox said:

If you reach 7-9 FPS on this game with a new save. Consider to upgrade your PC.

TBF not everyone can upgrade straight away, and when the required specs are stated to be so low it's a bummer when it still doesn't run that well.

I'm hoping to upgrade by February but it'll be sad if I can't play until then

@Devi I know what you mean though. Not everyone can't upgrade straight away. And I was not forcing him to do so. I said "Consider" not "Upgrade your PC now"

Yea, I've been having the same issues and made a post earlier:

5 hours ago, Sy1v said:

Okay. So I want to give as much information as possible and tell you step by step what I did and what happened.

After work, I started the game up and saw patch 109. I loaded up the usual save-game and saw that i was at 99% GPU usage but at the same 1240mhz (This is the frequency when the GPU is at 0% use).

The friend I mentioned about him have a 6700k had a world he wanted me to checkout so I joined him. The same 99% usage and frequency was happening with ~45 fps on average. So I decided to push the frequency to it's correct clock by starting up Overwatch since even at the main menu, it's at the boost clock.

Before running Overwatch: (image1)

f4172e3fc6.png

After running Overwatch: (image2)

f47d02feb3.png

I was honestly shocked to see this result. So I exited overwatch to see if it would keep the clock speed. The first time, It reverted back. I tried a second time and it went back to image2 except after exiting overwatch this time, the core speed stayed as well as the fps. After finding this out, I quit Astroneer (GPU at 0%, Idle, no games running). Started the game back up and noticed the image2 clock stayed! I loaded up my save file and the speed and usage was basically like this but the fps was back to the same as the Original Post. I had my friend join me because when he tried to do the same thing, yes the frequency went up but the fps didn't change at all. When he joined, it was as if we swapped places, his FPS was 62 and mine was in the 25-30 range.

Decided to take a break and came back to find a new patch (2.111). Always nice to see you guys working hard and that's why I'm giving as much information as possible to help you (if it even does). The frequency went back to the low 1200's and usage fluctuating. I started Overwatch after loading the savegame and found myself in a storm but this was what came back:

e30e3976db.png

What I've basically concluded is that the host is having to handle a lot of stuff hence the frame loss because if I join my friend (i can't since he's not online), I would be right back to the 62 fps. What I don't understand is that none of my components are at 100% at this moment (GPU / CPU / RAM / Network / SSD). There are no hard faults/sec happening on the memory either.

Something new occurred to me. The moment I load the game, it's using ~1gb of Memory, driving around in a truck eventually rises to 2gb of use (no problem in terms of the rise, sounds normal since it's loading in new terrain and whatnot). While it was rising and loading stuff in, there was choppiness as it loaded new grass patches. Once it reaches above 2gb, a surge on the memory goes from 2gb to 1.5gb. It seems like it's trying to compensate for the usage?

Anyway, I hope this somehow helps. If you need anything from me, let me know.

@Veltox If you're able to upload your savegame, i can try to replicate your test and post my results. I am using a 5820k OC'd to 4.5ghz and a 1080 OC'd to 2000+mhz.