mileshiclub

Female Astroneer

This is starting to derail into a public discussion with the moderators, so I'm going to weigh in again and try to redirect it..

1 hour ago, Wildkatze said:

That might be the case for those thick, chunky and old ones you still need to use to float in space, but the future of space suits is them becoming thinner to allow maximum agility when walking on a planet or hazardous environment.

49 minutes ago, Brickfest said:

At some point spacesuits might look like that in the future, however you have to take current game design into consideration. Take look at the concept art / screenshots. Those spacesuits look pretty thick and chunky to me...and well unisex. Putting female in slim fitting futuristic suit would be like a punch to the eye.

14 minutes ago, Sumatra said:

Look spacesuit are unisex, you can't see wether its a boy or a girl + ''breast'' under the suit doesnt appear tbh.

As much as Wildkatze may like the artists they showed samples from, it is very clear that the art design presented by the devs is based on modern day unisex suits.  As stated by the other two, a redesign to put feminine features onto one character could potentially be a disconnect from the art style, and for my input, it would definitely mark a character as specifically female and therefore different, so the otherwise unisex designs would be designated male.

Edited by CherubimCW

I bet all these pro 'soup can' unisex spacesuit supporters will be buying protesting the new Mass Effect Andromeda tho eh? :P I kid, but seriously, c'mon.

Just add a simple, default female Astroneer -at some point. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill by bringing art direction and other PC nonsense into it. Jeesh it's wrong now to identify as a male/female visually? The horror! My single player immersion factor!

Don't like it, don't use it. Because I guarantee it will show up as mod anyways and then what are you gonna do? Petition to get it removed? Oh right, you simply just won't use it and life goes on.

How about you they record a more feminine sounding voice for when you point at things and emote and let you pick that from an options menu somewhere?

You'd be able to have the same suits, but tell when someone is using a female Astroneer.

Edited by PhoenixKA

10 minutes ago, PhoenixKA said:

How about you they record a more feminine sounding voice for when you point at things and emote and let you pick that from an options menu somewhere?

You'd be able to have the same suits, but tell when someone is using a female Astroneer.

The devs are more than welcome to use my voice ;) I don't mind volunteering lol

I didn't realize this would be such a heated topic. I love it. Bottom line I think what gender the astroneer under the suit is open to interpretation. It's very based on opinions. When I first saw them it was obvious to me on that they were all male. I see how some might see it differently. I think a redesign of the first 4 is out of the question but a femal astroneer design with unique emotes and different animations would be cool for all genders. In destiny I played female characters because I thought the male body was two bulky. Just a personal choice that would be nice to have for everyone

Just now, mileshiclub said:

I didn't realize this would be such a heated topic. I love it. Bottom line I think what gender the astroneer under the suit is open to interpretation. It's very based on opinions. When I first saw them it was obvious to me on that they were all male. I see how some might see it differently. I think a redesign of the first 4 is out of the question but a femal astroneer design with unique emotes and different animations would be cool for all genders. In destiny I played female characters because I thought the male body was two bulky. Just a personal choice that would be nice to have for everyone

My point is that it shouldn't matter. It adds nothing to the gameplay and as someone said earlier, it would turn into a "there are 4 men and 1 fem," which would turn it into some ridiculous discussion that detracts from the game and from this forum. 

The suggestion is fine, but let's face it - going unisex and assuming there is no set gender is the preferred method. And what, if they add a female body, do they then need to add "colored-folk" to the mix? Do they then need to cater to the "trans" group? Must we also throw in a homosexual Astroneer?

Just please, Devs, leave it. I'm getting sick of how people are so easily offended, including your own moderators who delete comments that literally hurt no one but served to make a point about the state of the thread. 

And @miles - I'm not irritated at the suggestion necessarily, but I'm irritated by the reaction to those saying to leave it alone - and that includes a moderator who clearly showed bias against that person's opinion by claiming it was "suffocating" the topic. 

These "offended" people need to just live in a bubble and stay home all day without TV or internet so that no one can ever offend them. They suck the life out of everything, and now it has made its way into the gaming industry. This is the basis for my irritation. 

30 minutes ago, Punnilingus said:

My point is that it shouldn't matter. It adds nothing to the gameplay and as someone said earlier, it would turn into a "there are 4 men and 1 fem," which would turn it into some ridiculous discussion that detracts from the game and from this forum. 

The suggestion is fine, but let's face it - going unisex and assuming there is no set gender is the preferred method. And what, if they add a female body, do they then need to add "colored-folk" to the mix? Do they then need to cater to the "trans" group? Must we also throw in a homosexual Astroneer?

Just please, Devs, leave it. I'm getting sick of how people are so easily offended, including your own moderators who delete comments that literally hurt no one but served to make a point about the state of the thread. 

And @miles - I'm not irritated at the suggestion necessarily, but I'm irritated by the reaction to those saying to leave it alone - and that includes a moderator who clearly showed bias against that person's opinion by claiming it was "suffocating" the topic. 

These "offended" people need to just live in a bubble and stay home all day without TV or internet so that no one can ever offend them. They suck the life out of everything, and now it has made its way into the gaming industry. This is the basis for my irritation. 

i appreciate your input but I think if it really shouldn't matter, a fifth character model will only diversify the player base, gives the devs more options to work with when creating art to advertisements , and give the player more variety to play with. Also if we could remove our helmets yah I would expect more than a white man. I don't think the introduction of a 5th astroneer would have any effect on your game play but if theirs is a group of gamers that are made up of male and female players. if the female players think all the astroneers are not men they might not play with the guys who are widely represented by color and body shape. Now your experience might not fit in this example, but im sure it fits into some peoples experience. Your gamplay isn't being effected but some are. Regardless of what you think about the about the people who want a female astroneer, it doesnt make a difference to the way you play so it shouldn't matter to you.

1 hour ago, optyk said:

I bet all these pro 'soup can' unisex spacesuit supporters will be buying protesting the new Mass Effect Andromeda tho eh? :P I kid, but seriously, c'mon.

Just add a simple, default female Astroneer -at some point. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill by bringing art direction and other PC nonsense into it. Jeesh it's wrong now to identify as a male/female visually? The horror! My single player immersion factor!

Don't like it, don't use it. Because I guarantee it will show up as mod anyways and then what are you gonna do? Petition to get it removed? Oh right, you simply just won't use it and life goes on.

+1 this

9 minutes ago, mileshiclub said:

i appreciate your input but I think if it really shouldn't matter, a fifth character model will only diversify the player base, gives the devs more options to work with when creating art to advertisements , and give the player more variety to play with. Also if we could remove our helmets yah I would expect more than a white man. I don't think the introduction of a 5th astroneer would have any effect on your game play but if theirs is a group of gamers that are made up of male and female players. if the female players think all the astroneers are not men they might not play with the guys who are widely represented by color and body shape. Now your experience might not fit in this example, but im sure it fits into some peoples experience. Your gamplay isn't being effected but some are. Regardless of what you think about the about the people who want a female astroneer, it doesnt make a difference to the way you play so it shouldn't matter to you.

But it does affect the community surrounding the game. I join EA games to take part in the development process. If we travel down the road we're on in this thread - where moderators get triggered and start deleting comments (which they have done) and/or start chastising players for disagreeing with the social justice people (which one has also done) - then it will ruin the community. 

And to you: how in the world does it increase your player experience by having female characters instead of "spacesuits"? Your logic is clearly flawed given that there is no gender in the suit - it's an empty shell and it should remain this way. This is the best approach to the world today: neutrality. Had they created the game and started with 2 females and 2 males, then okay, I'm cool with this, but it isn't just "females" and "males" anymore. Now we're confronted with he-shes and she-hes and she-he-she-we's. 

So if you have an 'issue' with gender neutrality, then you're pushing an agenda. I see it as a design choice to prevent things like this, but clearly, some people thing that if it isn't curved and has breasts, it's automatically a guy, which just isn't true. 

And if gay people came in here asking them to give "feminine" emotes to male characters, would you have a problem with that or would you say that it's unnecessary for gameplay? I think we both know the answer to that question. 

Because of everyone's sensitivity these days, this is the best approach, imo. 

Edited by Punnilingus

4 minutes ago, Punnilingus said:

And to you: how in the world does it increase your player experience by having female characters instead of "spacesuits"? Your logic is clearly flawed given that there is no gender in the suit - it's an empty shell and it should remain this way. This is the best approach to the world today: neutrality. Had they created the game and started with 2 females and 2 males, then okay, I'm cool with this, but it isn't just "females" and "males" anymore. Now we're confronted with he-shes and she-hes and she-he-she-we's. 

no one is insulting your way of thinking by saying its flawed even though it's by definition it is closed minded. In other peoples opinions they are not empty shells but in yours they are. Have your opinion but it doesn't mean mine is invalid. 

no one is insulting your way of thinking by saying its flawed even though it's by definition it is closed minded. In other peoples opinions they are not empty shells but in yours they are. Have your opinion but it doesn't mean mine is invalid. 

When logic is flawed, it is flawed. This has nothing to do with the validity of your opinion. It's a shell, meaning that it's whatever YOU want it to be. Want to be a female in the game? Great! Do it, but it's unnecessary to create a female character just because. There's literally no point in doing so. It adds '0' to the game as it stands because there are already females in the game - you just can't see them through the bulk of their suit. 

The person being close-minded is the one that is trying to force gender into a genderless game. But here, for the sake of fairness, I'm going to create a new post to prove my point. 

Can we all just stop arguing... This was a simple idea from one person and it spread into a heated argument... What does this prove? Let's just move on from this and go back to discussing the details in a constructive manner... After all, this forum here was to give an idea and provide the developers feedback and possibly implementation of that idea. Remember, constructive criticism is much different than arguing. I would say that arguing certainly occurred here.

I personally feel that the uni-sex idea/implementation is the best approach, while having female astronauts is not a bad idea, I also agree that gender neutrality is the best bet for a game that has gender down at the bottom of the list (as in, gender has no influence on the game play). If details like strength, agility, stamina, ect. were a factor, then that would be a different story, and having the ability to adjust the gender and the muscularity of that character would be important. It's not, and that's not the focus of the game. 

Hopefully we can just move on from all of this (this as in a heated discussion) and prevent any further problems...

Edited by Knouvael'Qeskre

20 minutes ago, Punnilingus said:

But it does affect the community surrounding the game. I join EA games to take part in the development process. If we travel down the road we're on in this thread - where moderators get triggered and start deleting comments (which they have done) and/or start chastising players for disagreeing with the social justice people (which one has also done) - then it will ruin the community. 

So if you have an 'issue' with gender neutrality, then you're pushing an agenda. I see it as a design choice to prevent things like this, but clearly, some people thing that if it isn't curved and has breasts, it's automatically a guy, which just isn't true. 

And if gay people came in here asking them to give "feminine" emotes to male characters, would you have a problem with that or would you say that it's unnecessary for gameplay? I think we both know the answer to that question. 

I agree with plenty of how these points are made if not the tone they are made in, but in an effort to disentangle the discussion of the options we players would like to have in character creation that this topic is for from the meta-topic of moderation and agendas, I would like to say this:

I did read the post in question that got deleted.  It was 100% off topic and I'm sure it was removed because it contributed nothing to the discussion at a point when the moderator felt it necessary to intervene in order to turn this back into a productive thread.  Aside from being unnecessary, it was not objectionable or the 'triggering' that many of you are accusing the moderator of having reacted to.   It was literally only one sentence.

Now, more options and emotes as character creation is expanded would be greatly appreciated, and if some of those are elements that are classically identified as feminine then using to present your astronaut as female sounds like appropriate use.  However, the current design decisions imply to me an intentional choice to make the astronauts neutral so I definitely side against any element that word-of-god declares specific characters.

That is, unless character customization is never implemented, in which case the devs should eventually establish distinct identities for each of the characters however they see fit, hopefully with a clear intent to be fair.

Edited by CherubimCW

heres the great part of the game that is actually out of early access and at full release.... Imaginiation is currently in 1.0 release. If you use it you can have a male or female astronaut, skinny and short, fat and short or average Astroneer.  There is no real male or female astronaut suit. You can identify with whatever suit you want. It's your game your imagination. 

But it if you could, tell me the difference between the suits. And if it counts I like my astroneer in a tuxedo t shirt because it's says I want to be formal but I'm here to party toO

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Edited by TCrunaway

OK let's make it clear, there's no difference in the suit either female or male, so please stop. This thread just make a fight between feminazi and the other people. If you would of made your research before you would have seen no difference on the suits.

FUN FACT THE #2 IS A FEMALE
See, easy ;) unisex Astroneer they're whatever you want them to be, mine is a dog kappa

1 minute ago, Sumatra said:

OK let's make it clear, there's no difference in the suit either female or male, so please stop. This thread just make a fight between feminazi and the other people. If you would of made your research before you would have seen no difference on the suits.

FUN FACT THE #2 IS A FEMALE
See, easy ;) unisex Astroneer they're whatever you want them to be, mine is a dog kappa

So i point out everyone opinion valid, and you just try to makes yours fact and tell me what I need to do? 

1 minute ago, mileshiclub said:

So i point out everyone opinion valid, and you just try to makes yours fact and tell me what I need to do? 

you are on another level of triggered 

The entire point isn't to create even more trouble here, but to stop others from creating more tension in this topic than there already is.

I only see one person in this thread who's 'triggered', hah.

I think making a more feminine astroneer is a pretty harmless request, and it probably wouldn't even take a lot of work.

Pitch-shift the existing voice 'emotes', change an existing model a little bit, and voila, problem solved.

It'd probably take one of the devs a day or two.

2 minutes ago, Slywyn said:

I think making a more feminine astroneer is a pretty harmless request, and it probably wouldn't even take a lot of work.

Pitch-shift the existing voice 'emotes', change an existing model a little bit, and voila, problem solved.

I didn't think it would start an uproar either. i'm against the idea of changing one of the current models unless its some type of toggle able action where i can go from male to female at any point.

Well you know what!?!

Since all astroneers are female, YES YES FEMALE you read it right, look at their suits they are definetly females.

since its not right to get only female carracters, i want big astroneer, with big arms, a beard obviously and 3-4 tattoos not more, thanks DEV team.

(this is exactly how you sound, i get your point but this is ridiculous)

I said everything above with humour don't you dare get triggered

Edited by Sumatra

8 minutes ago, Slywyn said:

If that's the case, then please go +1 my request for male Astroneers. If it's harmless, then let's +1 both genders, yeah?

Maybe in the future we can mix and match body parts too - this will make it even more realistic! Want to be Caitlyn Jenner? Your wish is SystemEra's command! Granted. . . 

*initiating body-part sequence . . . compound is required . . . more resin is required . . . body morphing is complete ...*

6 minutes ago, mileshiclub said:

I didn't think it would start an uproar either. i'm against the idea of changing one of the current models unless its some type of toggle able action where i can go from male to female at any point.

nono, I meant take an existing model, alter it, and put the 'new' model in as a new character.