SES_Adam

ROAD MAP - Mega Thread

80 posts in this topic

On 22/01/2017 at 2:05 PM, travin said:

As there's no difference between bars for Food, Power or Oxygen, the addition won't ruin the game.

if that were true, then not having it also won't ruin the game. but it would add one more identical mechanism with one more resource that vanishes over time, that i have to store, collect and farm. i'm not in favour of more of the same.

to clarify how i see food versus damage: food, if introduced, will not be optional. you need food to survive, just like oxygen. it will get used up if i do nothing, and i will die, because that will be the universe. that universe is basically trying to kill me.

damage, however, only goes down if i do something stupid, like fall or get caught out in a storm. it wont vanish constantly and require grinding play to replenish. i break stuff, i fix stuff. that is not the universe trying to kill me, that is me being stupid resulting in my demise. gives me, the player, more sense of control, less grinding gameplay.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, ducus10000 said:

Seems like good ideas, and the clipping has been sometimes troublesome, but it allows me to leave caves easily. As far as I'm aware, there is no map yet. It wouldn't be too difficult for pressing M or something to zoom out and show the entire planet.

I am with Ducus on the M key.... click "M" and see the rotating Planet without the Space Ship/Shuttle

3 hours ago, Bron said:

if that were true, then not having it also won't ruin the game. but it would add one more identical mechanism with one more resource that vanishes over time, that i have to store, collect and farm. i'm not in favour of more of the same.

My thoughts exactly! No point duplicating bars just for the sake of having more bars to keep an eye on.

Re hunger and food, one possibility could be that we only need food to repair damage taken when hit by flying blocks, hostile flora or falls. But that would be yet another thing to carry around in our already too small backpacks.

Posted (edited)

On 5/10/2017 at 6:13 AM, Bron said:

to clarify how i see food versus damage: food, if introduced, will not be optional. you need food to survive, just like oxygen. it will get used up if i do nothing, and i will die, because that will be the universe. that universe is basically trying to kill me.

damage, however, only goes down if i do something stupid, like fall or get caught out in a storm. it wont vanish constantly and require grinding play to replenish. i break stuff, i fix stuff. that is not the universe trying to kill me, that is me being stupid resulting in my demise. gives me, the player, more sense of control, less grinding gameplay.

How you say you see things, to be more accurate. But I don't believe you do as its quite arbitrary and logically unsound. In real life, not feeding yourself is negligence on your part, the universe bears no responsibility. You break it, you fix it, so it fits well within your criteria for gameplay.

Maintaining power and oxygen is also grind too and if you don't take care of them you die but you're not complaining about those things. So the problem isn't one of mechanics, it's your perception of the mechanics and that you just don't like it. At least be honest about it instead of trying to so transparently rationalize it. In fact, you're so against it you can't even allow it to be part of the game so that others can enjoy the additional challenges and varied gameplay it provides.

Edited by travin

Are there any plans to improve the camera behaviour when using the controller?

Feels like the game is intended to be played with a mouse and the controller support is there because the console, but is not as smooth as it is when using a mouse (at least from what I can see from the trailers. I know the controller does not allow you to move the cursor that smoothly nor with that level of precision)