SES_Adam

ROAD MAP - Mega Thread

71 posts in this topic

I love this game, and I think there could be a mechanism that keeps us playing for a very long time.
I wish there was a way to build things that influence what happens on other planets, or at other bases.

I don't have any specific answers to that, but I have some general ideas :

- some kind of factories that would replenish global stocks. Maybe these stocks could be withdrawn with the trade rocket. Ie if I build 100 copper on terran, I can get them from irradiated etc. Right now there's some kind of infinite bank of each resource as long as you can "pay" for them. This would be fun :) stock xx resource from a planet that has many, and get them back on another that has none ! 

- mechanical, moving things, à la factorio. That would be awesome :) 

On 19.1.2017 at 6:09 PM, Spaham said:

- mechanical, moving things, à la factorio. That would be awesome :) 

That's the rail system and will be patched back into the game at some point!

On 1/17/2017 at 1:17 PM, NordicBerry said:

so please, please, DO NOT ruin it with Hunger and Food bars.

As there's no difference between bars for Food, Power or Oxygen, the addition won't ruin the game.

13 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

That's the rail system and will be patched back into the game at some point!

awesome !!!

But then, resources should play a bigger role, than just being a small currency, ie 2 for one thing etc,

you'll need a big crafting hierarchy !

Just now, Spaham said:

awesome !!!

But then, resources should play a bigger role, than just being a small currency, ie 2 for one thing etc,

you'll need a big crafting hierarchy !

It all can happen. The road map has some nice things to offer after all.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:00 PM, SES_Adam said:

img6.png

ASTRONEER ROAD MAP

BLOG POST

If you're curious about the direction we'd like to take Astroneer, our road map is a great place to start. At a high level, this list is pretty straight forward:

1. Address bugs and crashes to improve game stability and performance across all platforms.
    • E.g. Client experience in multiplayer or performance drops
  2. Leverage existing game content into additional or improved gameplay and features
    • E.g. Creative Tools Suite or Improved Crane Gameplay
  3. Develop and Communicate brand new features
    • E.g. Dedicated servers or Narrative-focused Gameplay

Check the Road Map link and Blog Post (Above) for more details!

Seems awesome!

On 1/15/2017 at 0:31 AM, Jokerboxer said:

I have been playing this for a day now and have a few critiques.

• When filling in a hole while in the hole my avatar wants to clip down, through the ground.
  • A first person perspective option would be helpful. At times when backing out of a cave (performing a 180 degree turn) the camera doesn't know what to do. System Era has stated that Minecraft is one of the inspirations for this game and they have a first person perspective option. If System Era could have a toggle-able camera, like in Minecraft, that would make the game easier. Don't change the backpack dynamic if you include a first person option. Keep it hovering in front of the character like normal. The backpack is a wonderful concept.
  • I rode my truck too far and now I can't see my base. Is there a way you can have an overview map, base ping, or something that could guide me back? I am completely lost.

The exploration aspect, treasure hunting, and experimenting has been a thrill. Markiplier is the one whom inspired me to purchase this game. Keep up the good work.

Seems like good ideas, and the clipping has been sometimes troublesome, but it allows me to leave caves easily. As far as I'm aware, there is no map yet. It wouldn't be too difficult for pressing M or something to zoom out and show the entire planet.

On 1/16/2017 at 11:28 PM, pagenoare said:

About point 3) I think thats what are beacons used for. I think its great idea, and way more challenging than a map.

I experimented with beacons. They seem to do nothing. Perhaps a patch will fix that.

9 hours ago, ducus10000 said:

Seems like good ideas, and the clipping has been sometimes troublesome, but it allows me to leave caves easily. As far as I'm aware, there is no map yet. It wouldn't be too difficult for pressing M or something to zoom out and show the entire planet.

It actually feel like the clipping and phasing has stopped. Thank you developers.

I've been playing this game for about a week. I've beaten it. In my books that is colonizing every planet and obtaining every upgrade. What more do you have for us? According to your road map it is Space Stations. That is a good idea. I've seen those vehicles in space and that is a cool way to tease the release.

What else do you have in store for us?

9 hours ago, Jokerboxer said:

I experimented with beacons. They seem to do nothing. Perhaps a patch will fix that.

Their purpose is to leave a marker that you can see from a distance, like those for a vehicle or your habitat. Theyre pretty useful for not doing anything.

11 hours ago, travin said:

Their purpose is to leave a marker that you can see from a distance, like those for a vehicle or your habitat. Theyre pretty useful for not doing anything.

Thank you for telling me how they work. That was kind of you. I'll give it a try. Have a nice day!

I think trucks and rovers should have better shock absorbers and better handling with inclines. What do you think?

Edited by Jokerboxer

I first played the timed demo of the game Saturday morning on my laptop, then bought it outright Saturday afternoon. Even with the limits of the game so far, it's an amazingly addictive and satisfying experience to explore, harvest and build across the planet and then travel to others to do more ... I hope the developers continue to grow and build the game from something that is delightful now, to something magnificent down the line. To that end ...

I don't see it on the Roadmap, but I think the developers would be wise to take a lesson from Kerbal Space Program (the last Early Access game I bought super-cheap, almost 4 years ago now) ... Official support for community-developed mods. KSP has a large and passionate base of players, streamers and fans all over the planet. A lot of the optimistic, you-can-do-it/you-can-build-it! aesthetic in KSP seems to suffuse Astroneer, and I have fallen in love just as quickly as I did with KSP. But a large part of what keeps players coming back to KSP are the mods that let you players expand the game and customize their own experiences as they see fit. Some of the most passionate "evangelizers" of the game are those of us who've played for years but keep finding something new to fool around with, usually though a new suite of play mechanics or specialized parts added through mods developed by similarly-passionate players.

Anyway, just my two cents. :) 

I just started playing yesterday and the game has blown me away completely. the only thing I wish I had was an in game notebook that had empty pages, letting me type in things I'd like to remind myself of,  and also showed what I have researched 

I was looking through the roadmap and couldn't help but notice Hunger-based Gameplay as one of the future potential features. Now obviously I'm just one person, but I feel like I'm not the only one who would prefer this to be an optional feature. Survival aspects can be fun in games, but there are certainly times where I'd rather go about without having to worry about a hunger bar or any some such.

Of course, it's your game and you can do what you want with it, just want to give my two cents on the matter. The game's looking great so far, and I'm very excited to see what comes out of it!

I really love meteorology IRL. If one were really on an exoplanet such as in Astroneer, with the advanced tools a space explorer has, it seems likely they would have some sort of weather-sensing possibly even limited forecasting ability to keep them as safe as possible from unpredictable conditions. I'm not saying take out roving dusts storms or anything like that, but I think it would be kind of neat later in the game as it develops to be able to build a small weather station and monitor stats at your base or off-world (off-Terran). Perhaps that could be one use (if there's not planned already) we could use some of the space junk and debris for, is to assemble a weather or meteorological satellite and place it into orbit (perhaps with a thruster pack or booster rocket that could be buildable later, idk). Just a thought.

One other thing I thought the space junk and debris could be used for is to assemble at some point in the game a satellite into low orbit (sort of like the ones we have today for communications etc) to provide a limited version of a minimap. I know I'd sure love to occasionally have some sort of planetary view of beacons, a thin tracing of tethers I have currently laid out (surface only), and of course any habitats, vehicles, that sort of stuff. Like someone mentioned, because of the curvature of the planet there are issues of line of sight, and it would be both really cool to assemble a satellite by having a "treasure hunt" of sorts and actually going thru the launch procedure and getting telemetry from it etc. Maybe have where it doesn't work all the time, and of course you would have black out periods too when satellite isn't in view etc so you wouldnt have it be a permanent fixture on a HUD or something like that, perhaps it could be part of a monitoring module you build that could encompass several items (like I said, maybe a weathersat or just a local weather sensor plus a low orbit "eye in the sky" sat). Anyway love the game so far, always looking forward to how things will progress. And I agree, the game is already a survival game so I hope food/hunger and anything else that's added will be optional so those who want it can use it and those who prefer not to, don't have to. That way it's a win-win and everyone can be happy. Many games do it the way allowing a "survival mode" option without making it mandatory. Thanks :)

On 1/15/2017 at 4:31 PM, Jokerboxer said:

The exploration aspect, treasure hunting, and experimenting has been a thrill. Markiplier is the one whom inspired me to purchase this game. Keep up the good work.

Same here. I just watched him play and it looked like the kind of game I'd have a blast with: right in between Kerbal and Minecraft. I just bought it today and have been having a great time with it.

As a pre-gamer (I do not own the game yet, but I will definitely buy the full version on its release) I would like to say that this game looks and sounds truly amazing. My brother is all about shooting and violence, and I like the building and exploring genre, and this game has got the future aeronautical engineer in me hooked. Now, I would like to make some suggestions (which may or may not have been already added/suggested:

-  Bug fixes/performance improvements (which of course is an obvious that will happen)

- Weather, Meteor Showers, Asteroids that might force you to abandon your planet, potentially losing all of your work

- A multitude of planets and variations of planets. For example (gas planets (lrg, med, sm), Rocky planets (habitable, uninhabitable), Ice planets/water worlds). Pretty much just look to some of the most fascinating planets and moons in our universe and create variations of them. 

- Also incorporate gravity as a feature, like if you're on a small planet you can jump higher, run faster.

- Create planets with breathable atmospheres, so you can walk around in them with an extended oxygen supply

- Add food, water, etc. 

- Make gas giants that have many moons orbiting them and you can hop across the moons to collect resources

- Add a "Just Play" mode (like it is right now where you don't have any story or anything) and also make starting packs, for example you're an engineer who came to the planet to study building frontier outposts for future missions or something, and each starter pack has its own unique items/abilities beyond the basic tools you get in the "Just Play" mode. 

- GET CREATIVE!! There's literally a universe of possibilities to make this game, and I enjoy the fact that there is no story. Maybe you could add story options, where there could be sentient extra-terrestrials and they observe you or whatever and you might need to be careful to not aggravate them/their civilization. Maybe also create some variation between them where there can be alien civilizations that are super advanced that you are literally an ant to them, and also civilizations that have just invented the wheel and almost immortalize you. 

Of course, all of this stuff doesn't have to be in the game when the full version releases and can come in DLC's and future updates. I can't wait for the full version to hit Steam.

@YorKarma 's idea on unmanned transports which navigate by beacon would be awesome. But to build on it, you should have to research the transport. For the transport to operate it needs a transport "dock" and a sort of road which has to guide the transport clear of the base. Obviously, you need to walk along the transports route and select the correct beacons.