Egehonk

How to find your way in caves?

Hello;

I am new to this forum, actually i am new to forums. I don't usually take place in a games development but hack! I love this game.

I only have 20+ game hours, so instead of making a suggestion on navigation I would first like to ask people about my problem maybe i am missing something after all :)

Navigating in caves

Sometimes (almost always) I dig through a cave in almost 10 - 15 entrances. The bad thing about is that I get lost a lot in those caves and forgetting which thether was leading me to the exit where i left my vehicles. (Thethers everywhere!)

Is there a way I can mark my exits but not without beacons? (Waste of resources and there are limited colours) 

I kind of find navigation in the game a bit hard, since beacons are the only way to navigate except compass. Is there something i am missing? I mean like colorful thethers or placing high landmarks or etc.

Thank you all in advance. :) 

Some good suggestions have been made in another thread here:

What I am using to (at least try) not to loose orientation :)

• Tethers, tethers, tethers :)
  • Always place tethers on the right (or left) hand side to know in which direction you have to walk.
  • Create arrows, fingers, or hands pointing towards your base.
  • Use the terrain analyzer feature to draw color lines on the floor of your main path.
  • Try not go get lost *g*

I use the same approach than when playing Minecraft in caves. Just with tethers instead of torches.
I place tethers near one side of the tunnel walls (left or right, but always the same),
so I always know I will come back to the entrance when I follow a path where the tethers are aligned on the other side than
the one I placed them when going deeper.

Out of habit, I place them left when going in and keep them right of me for finding the exit again.

Edited by Shabazza

Aside from always placing tethers on the right (or left) hand side of the wall and using the deforming tool to make arrows, you can also use oxygen/power stacks as breadcrumbs (they glow in the dark and are easily seen from a distance, especially when placed ontop a short pedestal).