GizmoGomez

How to obtain different sediment types/colors, and how they can be used

I'm copying this from my comment on the SES vlog video in which the idea of terrain becoming a resource (sediment) was expressed.

Gathering default (grey) sediment by default and using a terrain analyzer to get the specific (colorful) terrain makes the most sense to me. That way the player doesn't get over-filled with the multiple types of terrain unless the player specifically looks for them. It also means that the player is restricted in what type of sediment the player can get based on whether or not the terrain analyzer has been obtained. Then each sediment can be used for specific things; perhaps when using the sediment filter, different colors produce more or less amounts of each resource? i.e. purple sediment will produce more resin, white more compound, or something of that sort

Other forum-goers; if you've not watched the vlog, please do. Then, please give suggestions as to how the different sediment colors can be used, whether in the sediment filter base construction, or however you can imagine. 

Thanks!

(edit: added the video)

Edited by GizmoGomez
Added the video

Making different terrain types yield different resources is probably exactly the direction the developers want to take.
However, there is a problem with your suggestion about using the terrain analyzer, if I understood it right.

The problem is that when you remove the terrain analyzer, the type of terrain must still be indicated somewhere. And as sediments don't mix, that would end up in lots and lots of different types of sediment, and you can only store one type in one canister at a time. This would also mean that you cannot colour terrain without removing that colour somewhere else first!

This is why I would prefer there to be only one type of "sediment", which has various coloured versions. It could be the standard "soil" we have everywhere in the game right now.
Some other sediment types could, and I think, should also be different not (only) in colour, but also in their function.
Like, very hard, rocky material that you can collect with the drill, or water.
What do you think?

3 hours ago, UtopicVision said:

The problem is that when you remove the terrain analyzer, the type of terrain must still be indicated somewhere. And as sediments don't mix, that would end up in lots and lots of different types of sediment, and you can only store one type in one canister at a time. This would also mean that you cannot colour terrain without removing that colour somewhere else first!

I was thinking that any sediment collected without a colored analyzer would be the standard grey (normal). Anything collected with a colored analyzer would be that color, and have to fit into it's own canister, yes. I don't see that specifically being a problem because if the point is to collect grey sediment, the player shouldn't be using an analyzer. Just as if a player wants to deform all terrain, the player shouldn't use an analyzer because it'll only work on that one color. To me, requiring multiple canisters for collecting multiple colors isn't a problem. 

The bigger issue you bring up (imo) is how to handle coloring terrain. If we require players to have stores of colored terrain before they can color terrain, that causes all sorts of problems. On the other hand, if we don't require that color be collected in order to paint terrain, there are different problems. That alone kinda makes my idea not very worthwhile; thanks for pointing that out. 

3 hours ago, UtopicVision said:

Some other sediment types could, and I think, should also be different not (only) in colour, but also in their function.
Like, very hard, rocky material that you can collect with the drill, or water.
What do you think?

Those are cool idea; since they were talking about all "liquids" being stored in containers, water sounds very likely to me. Water could be used for all kinds of things, like farming, separating the O2 and H2 to make rocket fuel, etc. 

The hard, rocky material of which you speak already exists, after a fashion: the rock stuff that lithium/titanium shows up in is exactly what we're looking for here. I suggest they add a canister mount on the crane that specifically fills with this "dense sediment" which would be a dark grey. 

So, we'd have, as stuff that can fill canisters:

Normal sediment (grey) -  Obtained with a terrain tool. Produces normal amounts of materials in the sediment filter machine. 

Dense sediment (dark grey) - Obtained from dense material using a drill. Produces more materials than normal (perhaps 2x? 4x?) at the sediment filter machine. 

Hydrazine (the purply color it currently is) - we know already

Water (blue, duh) - sucked out of pools of water? sucked out of the air using a moisture vaporator, á la Tatooine? Used for watering plants? Sprayed out using the terrain tool, like a watering can? That'd be sweet imo, very harvest moon (except on an actual moon). 

27 minutes ago, GizmoGomez said:

Water (blue, duh) - sucked out of pools of water? sucked out of the air using a moisture vaporator, á la Tatooine? Used for watering plants? Sprayed out using the terrain tool, like a watering can? That'd be sweet imo, very harvest moon (except on an actual moon). 

I guess the reason I mentioned water is because I am in love with the image of my astroneer trudging through snow...
Whatever the use for water will be, I want to see snow falling in Astroneer! :)  (not just the snow-like sediment on top of mountains or in Tundra...)

Edited by UtopicVision