ammo77

Steam recent Status

Hey all I just noticed that the rating on steam went from mostly positive to Mixed :S, This is one of my favorite games to play with friends we have lots of fun with it.    I think the problem is Mp right now and hope when they get that fixed along with dedi servers the rating will go back up.

Astroneer is a great game with lots of potential  and just a lot of fun to play at least it was until patch 196/197. 

I know The Dev's are working hard to fix the MP bug that has most of us checking for A patch several times A day.

My Rant for the day;) 

That's the community telling the dev's they are focusing on the wrong thing and not adding any new content.

20 hours ago, Tacos said:

That's the community telling the dev's they are focusing on the wrong thing and not adding any new content.

Which I think is a little unfair. Yeah, it's their right to winge about whatever they'd like, but there has been some content added. Good content even. I just read through the top reviews and they're saying that there haven't been any content updates in 7 months. 7 months? Really?  One guy even called it a money grab. What?

I don't get it; these people are far too hasty/demanding on such a small team (who's doing a great job imo). Maybe they should watch the vlogs and all that before complaining that the devs aren't doing anything. 

22 hours ago, Tacos said:

They are adding new content, they are reworking major game systems, they are very transparent about their progress and they are very transparent about the state of the game. If they were focusing on "adding new content" right now, the game would suffer for it.

On 8.8.2017 at 0:20 AM, Tacos said:

It's actually just a part of the community telling them that they're not happy with the lack of new content. That doesn't mean what the developers are currently doing is wrong...it's just not exactly what people are expecting. Or rather, they can't lay their hands on what's currently being worked on behind the scenes...yet...

I think people are missing the point with the Steam Posts..... I love the game and have over 970 hours game time on Steam.... I watch all the posts and Vlogs etc. etc......  I would bet that 90-95% of the people that buy the game don't follow all the Stuff that Addicts like Us Follow........ and that's pretty normal with any game.  I don't think blaming people for not being an addict and engorging themselves on all the Fluff we Love is fair in any way.... they are just posting based on their position.   The size of the team is not the problem, I think SES will get things together in time and Steam Posts will get better when people start seeing the game progress.  I would look at the Posts Seriously and when the company evaluates their goals and priorities give a little more attention to criticisms. 

Everybody here on the Forum wants the best for Astroneer but we are just a tiny slice of the Audience.

This is true, but it's still annoying to see people post blatant falsehoods in their reviews; it lowers the chance a new player would consider it. If I didn't know anything better, I'd see all the bad reviews and assume the game was stalled and/or a money grab (because that's basically what they're all saying). Even if I didn't like the game, that doesn't change the fact that many of the reviews are overlooking/ignoring all the devs have been saying to, doing for, and showing us, and are basically whining about how there aren't guns or jetpacks yet. 

14 minutes ago, GizmoGomez said:

This is true, but it's still annoying to see people post blatant falsehoods in their reviews; it lowers the chance a new player would consider it. If I didn't know anything better, I'd see all the bad reviews and assume the game was stalled and/or a money grab (because that's basically what they're all saying). Even if I didn't like the game, that doesn't change the fact that many of the reviews are overlooking/ignoring all the devs have been saying to, doing for, and showing us, and are basically whining about how there aren't guns or jetpacks yet. 

100% agreed, reading those reviews almost makes me sad and/ or angry.

What I have noticed, is that all these reviewers seem to forget the hours they spent getting to know this game. They sometimes even claim that the game has gotten "worse".
A review is intended for someone who hasn't decided whether or not they want to buy a game.
I'd argue that the game now is better than the one you could buy in December (with the exception of the research system, haha).
But all the older players only see the "little" changes, and forget about what sense of wonder this game gave you when you first played it. (Remember all these positive reviews in December?)
It might be a problem at the heart of the game. I think what is really missing in Astroneer is an option to be creative in a unique way.
Unfortunately, there's very few "I couldn't have imagined doing any of this" -moments in the game. That is also why I have high hopes in the upcoming modularity update, it might just be what the game needs right now.

@UtopicVision

Not knowing how long you have been lurking around here and how far back you have read before you started posting, you may have missed this in June:

It is mostly about research but there are also good remarks re crafting and creativity. Also, keep in mind that at the time, we knew far less what SES wanted to do with Astroneer than we do now.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, GizmoGomez said:

Which I think is a little unfair. Yeah, it's their right to winge about whatever they'd like, but there has been some content added. Good content even. I just read through the top reviews and they're saying that there haven't been any content updates in 7 months. 7 months? Really?  One guy even called it a money grab. What?

I don't get it; these people are far too hasty/demanding on such a small team (who's doing a great job imo). Maybe they should watch the vlogs and all that before complaining that the devs aren't doing anything. 

What is the "good" content you are referring to? The dynamite, or the hours they spent on death animations?

5 hours ago, Tacos said:

What is the "good" content you are referring to? The dynamite, or the hours they spent on death animations?

I happen to like some variety when I die, thank you very much. ;D

In honesty, though, I think the apparent lack of huge, groundbreaking content is balanced out by their openness about what they're doing. It's obvious that they're working on the game and trying hard to make it good. If they were silent about what was going on, it'd be a lot more sketchy. I guess one could call the WIP videos they put out as a preview of more good content to come. 

I also like that they're taking each aspect and crafting it before throwing it into the game. Things are coming along bit by bit, this is true, but that's (imo) how one ought to develop a game in the first place. If one threw everything together quickly, balancing would be really hard since nothing is optimized for anything else. But, installed piece by piece, each part can be fit nicely into the existing structure before moving on to the next part. Since the team is pretty small, I think that's the better way to do it. Plus, making sure each bit is playable and balanced before moving on just shows that they care, I'd say.

Now, the team has gotten bigger, so I hope to see more frequent updates with more variety of focus (updated animations, here, more mechanics there, etc) as time goes on. There'll be some time between the team getting bigger, and us reaping the benefits of that, since there has to be time for the new team members to work on stuff before it can be delivered. Hopefully that harvest will come soon. 

Out of curiosity, what would you count as good content? (Currently implemented or otherwise)

6 hours ago, GizmoGomez said:

In honesty, though, I think the apparent lack of huge, groundbreaking content is balanced out by their openness about what they're doing. It's obvious that they're working on the game and trying hard to make it good.

Out of curiosity, what would you count as good content? (Currently implemented or otherwise)

I totally agree they are still working on the game. I think everyone acknowledges that. Their own demise is their grandiose excitement for what they want the game to become. They are looking at where they want they game to be in 20 years with zero ability to survive until then. Heck, they are even selling merch like they have had the success of a game like UO or something. I mean they won't even acknowledge that the game is playable. They say it's "pre-alpha." Pre-alpha. Think about that. But hey, buy some clothes for a game that's still imaginary. The community is bored with the game. I know everyone gets defensive when people read stuff like that, but it's true. We are in the minority now about the excitement as to where they are going. That's why the majority of people now think the game is dull and has a "mixed" review on steam.

Now, you can argue how "wrong" they are until you run out of breath, but the fact is people want content and they aren't providing it.

It's like that old saying, you can be right and alone. If you're afraid of being lonely don't always try to be right. 

They might think they are right to basically start over and over and over and over on the core of the game, start over on this part of the game, start over on more death animations, start over on some other remedial task that they think is important but the people who bought the game (including me) don't care about. While they are "being right" the game is failing on steam and they are losing money. They won't be able to afford the team they have with less income and eventually the game will stop being developed.

But hey - they were right, right?

Edited by Tacos

Just look at NMS, the poster-child of hype and broken promises.

A year ago, they had a disastrous launch for what was sold at full-price as a "finished" game but was more of an alpha or early beta. Patch 1.1 came along with more content, then 1.2 (more content) and last week, patch 1.3 (more content). Go online and check what has been written since 1.3 dropped and it's a huge contrast with a year ago.

The point I am trying to make is that Astroneer is sold as a pre-alpha, at a much reduced price. And that game development isn't something that happens in 6 months. And that if anyone wants a "finished" game, well then they have to wait until the game is sold as "finished" (whether it really is or not) and pay the full price.

I am not attacking anyone, only reminding that it takes time to get a game done.

4 hours ago, Eoghan said:

Just look at NMS, the poster-child of hype and broken promises.

A year ago, they had a disastrous launch for what was sold at full-price as a "finished" game but was more of an alpha or early beta. Patch 1.1 came along with more content, then 1.2 (more content) and last week, patch 1.3 (more content). Go online and check what has been written since 1.3 dropped and it's a huge contrast with a year ago.

The point I am trying to make is that Astroneer is sold as a pre-alpha, at a much reduced price. And that game development isn't something that happens in 6 months. And that if anyone wants a "finished" game, well then they have to wait until the game is sold as "finished" (whether it really is or not) and pay the full price.

I am not attacking anyone, only reminding that it takes time to get a game done.

So - the problem with that is this is a new thing that companies are doing. Selling unfinished games. It almost never works. There's an influx of money at the start, then everyone complains the game has zero content, to which everyone is like "well yea! It's a pre pre pre pre pre alpha game! Not our fault! But thanks for buying it!" This was never a thing before steam was around. You would never go by a super nintendo, or an xbox game on the premise of "hey, we'll get around to finishing this title in 2-3 years, cool?" While it may be a way for them to get money up front, the only way for them to continue to get money is through word of mouth and by listening to the community. They aren't. I get that to you everything they are doing is OK and warranted, but the majority of the community disagrees with you. Personally I hope you're right. I hope this game becomes huge. I bought it day one. The trailer they made was amazing. I do not think they are doing a good job keeping people interested in it. And I'm not the only one. Stats don't lie:

http://steamcharts.com/app/361420

If no one is playing the game, no one is talking about it, and no one is recommending it - unless you're hoping they finish the game for free, I wouldn't hold out for a completed game.

Again - I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it happening with the current speed of development.

People simply don't get how Steam's Early Access works. The software called "Astroneer" that is currently available on Steam is not the actual game that SES has in mind, but merely a prototype, a proof of concept. You paid money to get access to that early game prototype. (Get it? Early. Access.) Basically, this is crowd funding where you already get something before the actual product is finished. And there is nothing fishy about it because all this is explained on the Steam store page of every Early Access game, Astroneer included.

SES did a good job with this crowd funding for their game, because now they have the funds for a team that can create the game they actually want. See this, because stats don't lie:

20 minutes ago, Marck said:

People simply don't get how Steam's Early Access works. The software called "Astroneer" that is currently available on Steam is not the actual game that SES has in mind, but merely a prototype, a proof of concept. You paid money to get access to that early game prototype. (Get it? Early. Access.) Basically, this is crowd funding where you already get something before the actual product is finished. And there is nothing fishy about it because all this is explained on the Steam store page of every Early Access game, Astroneer included.

SES did a good job with this crowd funding for their game, because now they have the funds for a team that can create the game they actually want. See this, because stats don't lie:

You're making up arguments no one has made to make your argument seem strong.

No one ever said anything fishy was going on. Ever.

Everyone knows this is not a finished game and that's what they bought. Nothing was said to indicate people thought they were buying a finished game.

Again - I hope you're right and the game is finished. However, from everything I'm seeing that doesn't seem likely unless they speed up content and generate new interest in the game.

5 minutes ago, Tacos said:

You're making up arguments no one has made to make your argument seem strong.

No one ever said anything fishy was going on. Ever.

Everyone knows this is not a finished game and that's what they bought. Nothing was said to indicate people thought they were buying a finished game.

Actually, people on Steam have called it a "long term money grab" and the like. I mean, if it were true, that'd be fishy, yeah? *shrug* 

I don't think he was directing anything at you specifically; I'd assume he meant "you" as in "the people giving unwarranted bad reviews on Steam" or something. 

7 minutes ago, Tacos said:

Again - I hope you're right and the game is finished. However, from everything I'm seeing that doesn't seem likely unless they speed up content and generate new interest in the game.

So say we all, man. So say we all. 

1 minute ago, GizmoGomez said:

Actually, people on Steam have called it a "long term money grab" and the like. I mean, if it were true, that'd be fishy, yeah? *shrug* 

I don't think he was directing anything at you specifically; I'd assume he meant "you" as in "the people giving unwarranted bad reviews on Steam" or something. 

So say we all, man. So say we all. 

Ah gotcha - ok, yea, I'm sure others are making that argument for sure.