An_Ancap

Anyone knows how to make surflace flat?

17 posts in this topic

I've got a problem. I am planning on making underground world (Or just something like wormholes to certain parts of planet. That is - high mountain, spaceship landing spots etc) and I would like to have proper base for once. Since this, I ask you - how you make surflace flat? In other versions you could point terrain tool on you and use it to make part of ground flat. However, it doesn't work anymore. 

I usually start by flattening the ground around from the habitat's area, since the concrete always spawn flat, but if not, then I'd repeatedly raising and lowering the terrain till I get a flat ground.

Concrete is not flat though. I mean flat ((f l a t)), without any vectors higher or lower than other ones. It takes like 20 minutes to make ((f l a t)) ground. 

12 hours ago, An_Ancap said:

Concrete is not flat though. I mean flat ((f l a t)), without any vectors higher or lower than other ones. It takes like 20 minutes to make ((f l a t)) ground. 

The world is not flat. 

The first way I do it is to pick a spot that is as flat as I want the surface area to be, then press the control button (I'm on a Windows machine) and spread the flatness from the space I chose. It's not perfectly flat, but it's certainly flatter than it was.

The second way I do it is to do little pulses of the digger tool, either up (alt) or down (no button pressed). It often takes a while, but this is my go-to method of getting a plane I can use with the other method to create an acceptable flat space.

I mean exactly f l a t surflace. It appears that's impossible without lucky pick. 

So what you're saying is, you want to make a surface that is flat enough so you can't tell it's not flat.

I don't think there's a way to do that in-game.

I actually managed to do it few times, using technique I mentioned before. It appears it is not working now.

((((f l a t)))) for life

34 minutes ago, An_Ancap said:

I actually managed to do it few times, using technique I mentioned before. It appears it is not working now.

If you want a perfect mirror-flat surface, it still works in 197. Like in the past, you can be lucky and find the right polygon after a few attempts or you try and try and try... and still don't find it.

You want Flat Ground..... Try a different game.........

On 8/4/2017 at 1:58 AM, An_Ancap said:

I mean exactly f l a t surflace. It appears that's impossible without lucky pick. 

Why are you in need of such F L A T ground? I'd say do the same as @Lithium said to start with the concrete around the habitat and do so before extending any platforms so that when you do extend a platform it will be the same FLAT level as your hab. 

Not the original poster but some of us like perfect, flawless, mirror-flat surfaces. We don't need them, we just like them, or the idea of being able to make a perfectly flat surface. The same way you don't need computer games but you still like them.

In other words: to each his own!

Ya know, in this game you actually don't need anything expect habit. Exactly - you can stay and look around, waiting for storm and hide in ya house... But if this is the purpose you put in the game - I have bad news for ya...

I think the maker of this thread would really enjoy a game I've heard about called... "MINECRAFT" there's nothing round or unFLAT about THAT game ;)

1 hour ago, An_Ancap said:

Ya know, in this game you actually don't need anything expect habit. Exactly - you can stay and look around, waiting for storm and hide in ya house... But if this is the purpose you put in the game - I have bad news for ya...

What bad news could that be? I see nothing wrong with somebody using the game in the way that you describe.

I certainly enjoy Minecraft. Fun game with simple mechanics and lots of potential - wanna build castle? Minecraft. A village? Minecraft. Wanna do anything creative? Minecraft. Astroneer is just like Minecraft - but with more building potential and more possibilities. 

6 hours ago, Marck said:

What bad news could that be? I see nothing wrong with somebody using the game in the way that you describe.

There's nothing bad about it, but my bad news would rather be that playing this way would be quite a waste of time. Since you are just looking around, you are probably searching for beauty - and you won't find beauty in Astroneer, especially if you stay in one place for couple of hours.