grahoo

Should I buy Astroneer?

Hello everyone, I'm new guy here interested in buying Astroneer but I have some questions. First of all I know this is Game Preview, Pre-alpha, etc so I don't expect miracles but looks like idea of this game suits my playstyle.  But I have the most important question, will this game be still alive and updated? Or will I buy unfinished product that won't have patches no more? I see that there are no Twitch streams, YT videos no more but on the other side I see activity on forum here and some Q&A from devs of this beautiful game. Currently I would like to play it, learn it and maybe even stream it or make "Let's play" YT videos with kind of guides or something like this.

The real question is: Is this game evolving or dying? I would love to see how this game develops and after some time say: "I remember those Early Access days, even without everything that I see now and many bugs I felt in love with this piece of art and it was worth it to invest hard earned money"

Greetings for Astroneer makers and all players :)

this game is slowly evolving (i have been playing it for a few months now and in this most recent update more things has been added to the game) :) so no this game is far from dying and i would strongly advise buying it before the price for this game goes up because all great games eventually up the price :D 

Edited by samuel athanas
i saw a error in what i typed so i corrected it ( <- that didn't have ) <- that to close it off

If we had now December 2016, definitely YES.

But in retrospect, referring to the development of the game in the last 8 months and considering all current problems, I actually can not make a recommendation (especially if you are planning to play coop) :(

Edited by stargaser

With patch 196 coop actually is unplayable for the client player.

Maybe this will be fixed soon, but most of the coop problems are more or less unchanged since release.

The game is definitely not dying. It is unpolished, lacking content and has bugs, all of which the developers admit to. But they are working on multiple aspects at the same time, and I am sure they are committed to work on it for the months and years to come. Check out SES_dev on Twitch and System Era on YouTube for their own content, and there are several YouTubers with regular and ongoing Let's Play series.

If you are happy to play an unfinished game and think you will enjoy its concept and style, then you can definitely have fun with this one and there are some things to challenge the player and things you can achieve now. I find it both visually very nice and the relaxed gameplay is a change from fast paced games. The sandbox environment allows you to be quite creative and to experiment with the physics engine. But there are issues that you will encounter, so bear that in mind.

Like others have said, if you are ok playing a game that is definitely a "work in progress", buy it now.

If you'd rather have a more finished game, buy it later. It sounds like you'll like it.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:58 AM, grahoo said:

I see that there are no Twitch streams, YT videos no more but on the other side I see activity on forum here and some Q&A from devs of this beautiful game.

In the last month, there have been 8 developer Twitch streams over at their official Twitch account. They've also been posting weekly Q&As along with frequent update vlogs on their official Youtube. So, I'd say they were pretty active!

Thanks for info, decided to buy it and bought it today, can't wait to get back from work, play and chill. I remember my 1 free hour, when it expired it was like: "whaaaat? nooooooo, I want moooore" *crying inside like a little baby*

Edited by grahoo

I only have 970 hours time in game on Stream...... for a $25 game..........  You have to figure out what kind of value that is.....

Good comment @KeeblerOrc! And you are supporting an outstanding cool game with fantastic graphics, no violence, and a very nice team behind all these lines of code. Which might be buggy here and there. Some of the bugs are PRE-ALPHA GAME breaking others added some additional hours of unintended fun to the game. And you can be part of the game in some kind of limited sense as the developer team really picks up community inputs. Where can you do that for 20 bucks? Well, maybe you can tell your local pizza dude that extra salami placed like a smilie would be awesome. But that's like 10 minutes of fun (and, indeed, delicious). But that's it :). So yes, please go for it, have fun, and see things growing up!

Edited by reto

I haven't put as much time as @KeeblerOrc has ("only" 326 hours as of right now) but even in its pre-alpha state, I've got more entertainment and value from Astroneer than with pretty much every other game I've played aside maybe from Civ.

Grahoo..... glad you got the game.... I believe you will have a lot of fun.... you will also probably want to strangle the dev's on a regular basis....... Just remember it is an early release of a game with a bunch of problems from the beginning and that will relive much frustration and make you laugh at your own anger.  I believe I did something horrible in a past life and am being punished every time a fully loaded Truck Train decides to be unrecoverable space debris just before parking at base. Also when half the rare materials you just collected just ejected into the ground because the back of the Deformer gun hasn't been fixed to eject upwards.... something that would probably take Adam 30 minutes to fix..... OOooooh If I could get my hands around his Space Suits Neck!...... So realize its a game and you might improve your anger skills.

Happy Gaming

Just wanted to add in that Astroneer has become my favorite I-need-to-relax-because-I'm-exhausted-but-can't-sleep-yet game. Even with the bugs (sometimes humorous) this game can be very chill. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, KeeblerOrc said:

something that would probably take Adam 30 minutes to fix.....

Not that I'm trying to downplay @SES_Adam's skills, but you may not want to have an artist diving into the code like that...