Freshmanrob

Automatic Placement of Tethers

Automatic tethers might be an improvement, and feasible with the current scheme.

They would auto place when you are maximal distance from your last one. It would be easiest at a toggle-long press on the tether key.

I play on Xbox, so anything that keeps me from moving the cursor from one place to another would help. I can also see nerfing the distance and pay a price for the automation (set it to auto place at 90% max distance for instance). 

I'm just trying to think of small, potentially easily coded solutions to make the game more fun.

Thoughts?

I also play on the XBox, and I completely support this idea. It's a pain to have to constantly place down tethers, over and over again, but with automatic placement, it would be so much better.

There is this one feature from factorio that I'd like to see in astroneer too, so in that game when you're placing electrical poles, holding certain button will allow you to continuously place said electrical poles within it's maximum range.

I would support this. I'm also on Xbox.

What about automatic removal? Maybe when you remove one tether it automatically removes the remainder of the tethers of the now unconnected string for you.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:51 PM, Lithium said:

There is this one feature from factorio that I'd like to see in astroneer too, so in that game when you're placing electrical poles, holding certain button will allow you to continuously place said electrical poles within it's maximum range.

I came here to say this too -- the way Factorio handles placing chained objects is IMHO the Correct Way. Holding down `t` should just drop tethers as you get to the max range from the previous one; it's great UI ergonomics. It removes the min/max opportunity of spending extra time doing tedious stuff to get optimal placements, and also sidesteps that annoying occurrence where you mis-time the placement and have to go back and move the tether that you dropped out of range.

I think that to be able to auto place tether they should make an augerment that can go on ur back pack to allow them to auto place as it would expand the game that little bit more? I also play on Xbox and I do find it annoying sometimes..

How about a widget, that when placed into a backpack top slot, automatically places tethers every time you go out of range of the last one.  It could even operate in reverse depending on what side it's fitted to, letting you go as far as the number of tethers you can carry will allow, and then come back, putting them down and picking them back up, without having to do anything besides switching which side the widget is on.

Edited by polarity

it would be great if tethers acted as power lines for rovers as well. on that note power equalization would be great too. that include power flowing in and out of you backpack.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:51 PM, Lithium said:

this exactly. you wont find one person who plays factorio and thinks this is a bad idea. It works perfectly and removes a lot of the fiddling this game has