CrypticFox

Xbox One Camera Control

I've been playing Astroneer on the Xbox One (and loving it so far), and I find managing the camera view a bit challenging.  The view only rotates when you push the collection tool "icon" to the edge of the screen, and this makes for sluggish turning and view correction when trying to manipulate your camera view.  For example you might turn your character on the spot, but the camera continues to face the original direction, and you need to swing it around using screen pushing at the edge of the screen.  It would be helpful if we had better right-stick camera control.  For example maybe if you click the right stick you swing the camera with the right stick, and clicking again returns it to controlling the collection tool?

Not sure how this would work out, but it's one of the gameplay aspects I find more challenging.

I just realized playing now that when you put the deformation tool away the dual stick camera controls are what you would generally expect.  It's only when you're using the deformation tool that the camera acts differently.  Got WAY easier to control if I just hit "X' to put to tool away when I want to spin the camera and then just pull it back out again after :)

Ya, so far my only complaint is the camera. Its pretty bad and also pretty obvious that this game was made with PC in mind.

Edited by kyler9437
fix error

Yes! The camera is quite a nuisance. Yes it gets better when you put your tool away but it is still very challenging to keep focus properly. I think the tool should have a limit as to how far away the targeting can go so it isn't so easy to get away from you

Lots of potential here but I agree with the Xbox camera controls not being great. I've had lots of issues trying to line my tool up with an object or even deform the correct areas of the terrain. Though some of that could also be with my other issue of inverting Y inverting the tool as well as the camera.