Grimstar

When do u think the game gets an official release?

11 posts in this topic

First of all, i really like the idea of Astroneer, it has great potential. I bought the game 6-7 months ago when pre-alpha launched. I had 30-40 hours fun with friends in multiplayer, although multiplayer was bugged. Then i kinda dropped the game.

6 Months later, the game hasnt changed that much in my opinion, multiplayer is still bugged af, no real content has been added. At this pace, i think the game will get an official release in the year 2021-22. Which is a shame in my eyes, since it has so much potential.

When do u guys think the game will get an official release? Do u feel the same as me, when it comes to the "slow" progress of the game?

Posted (edited)

wait! what!  .. you really think a game is created in under a year...    dream on sir!   some game take more than 3-4 years of development.. be patient!

i prefer to see devs to take their time to make a good game, without bugs.. instead of a rapid launch, loaded of bugs, like some big game company which i wont name here

Edited by SammyTheRat

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, SammyTheRat said:

wait! what!  .. you really think a game is created in under a year...    dream on sir!   some game take more than 3-4 years of development.. be patient!

i prefer to see devs to take their time to make a good game, without bugs.. instead of a rapid launch, loaded of bugs, like some big game company which i wont name here

(Picture)? xDxD  7156756959122163.jpg

Edited by Moonminer008

3 hours ago, SammyTheRat said:

Though's games that take 3-4 years are most of the time AAA games that are worth the wait and have most of the time extremely complex systems and have a whole load of story also and the graphics are extremely time consuming to create because its beautiful!  The completely simplistic art style of Astroneer and its simplistic design makes it easy to implement things it doesn't take a expert with coding to figure that out...and if it takes 3-4 years for this game to come out no one will be here to play it because other better games with the same concept will be out way before 3-4 years with more complex systems and upgraded graphics. Don't get me wrong I love this game but if it takes any longer then 2 years it will have lost so many customers I assure you (I used to work in marketing for AAA games so I know how a game can die out real quick).

2 hours ago, SophisticatedDonkey said:

Though's games that take 3-4 years are most of the time AAA games that are worth the wait and have most of the time extremely complex systems and have a whole load of story also and the graphics are extremely time consuming to create because its beautiful!  The completely simplistic art style of Astroneer and its simplistic design makes it easy to implement things it doesn't take a expert with coding to figure that out...and if it takes 3-4 years for this game to come out no one will be here to play it because other better games with the same concept will be out way before 3-4 years with more complex systems and upgraded graphics. Don't get me wrong I love this game but if it takes any longer then 2 years it will have lost so many customers I assure you (I used to work in marketing for AAA games so I know how a game can die out real quick).

That's one thing where I must say "just no".
I've seen plenty of recent AAA games. Almost all AAA games from the past years have been pretty much...bad. They're extremely simple (made in a way that even the most inexperienced player could keep up), usually very bugged, have little content and all that for such a high price. There's a single AAA which actually was pretty good (IMO): Prey. Although it still was lacking quite a bit, but it was a good experience. For the sandbox part, not the story, of course. Considering most AAA games have hundreds of people working on it over the course of years, I really must question what they're doing there all day.

That said, for games like Astroneer or rather Early Access in general, I always suggest to not expect a flood of updates that keeps you busy all time. Software development is...complicated. Especially if you're not writing it for a specific task on specific hardware. Keeping yourself busy with other games while one game is updating is the key. :P

1 hour ago, Wyvyrias said:

That's one thing where I must say "just no".
I've seen plenty of recent AAA games. Almost all AAA games from the past years have been pretty much...bad. They're extremely simple (made in a way that even the most inexperienced player could keep up), usually very bugged, have little content and all that for such a high price. There's a single AAA which actually was pretty good (IMO): Prey. Although it still was lacking quite a bit, but it was a good experience. For the sandbox part, not the story, of course. Considering most AAA games have hundreds of people working on it over the course of years, I really must question what they're doing there all day.

That said, for games like Astroneer or rather Early Access in general, I always suggest to not expect a flood of updates that keeps you busy all time. Software development is...complicated. Especially if you're not writing it for a specific task on specific hardware. Keeping yourself busy with other games while one game is updating is the key. :P

let me guess your 35 years or older you enjoy the old classic style games and you don't take the time to actually read into the lore of AAA games. Overwatch, Street fighter, Dishonored 2, Persona 5, Dark Souls III, Uncharted 4, Outlast 2, Bayonetta, Nier: Automata, Resident Evil 7, Tom Clancy's The Division if you really say that these games that I'm mentioning now have shit story, shit content, buggy and simple with little challenge to the player you are far beyond any help  that anyone can give you 90% of the gaming population would disagree with these projected criticisms of yours but its ok to be an outsider just dont drag down AAA games cause your too angry for whatever reason to hate them.

I hope this thread isn't getting overly aggressive as it sounds... 

I feel  that the intention of the original post. What's the timeframe? Surely there must be some estimates.

1 hour ago, SophisticatedDonkey said:

let me guess your 35 years or older you enjoy the old classic style games and you don't take the time to actually read into the lore of AAA games. Overwatch, Street fighter, Dishonored 2, Persona 5, Dark Souls III, Uncharted 4, Outlast 2, Bayonetta, Nier: Automata, Resident Evil 7, Tom Clancy's The Division if you really say that these games that I'm mentioning now have shit story, shit content, buggy and simple with little challenge to the player you are far beyond any help  that anyone can give you 90% of the gaming population would disagree with these projected criticisms of yours but its ok to be an outsider just dont drag down AAA games cause your too angry for whatever reason to hate them.

3 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I've seen plenty of recent AAA games. Almost all AAA games

Street Fighter: Not my genre anyway, got no information about that.
Overwatch: That's blizzard, you're picking a competent studio there.
Dishonored 2: Still bad performance issues up to today. Otherwise great game, as it's prequel.
Persona 5: A console game, as such I can't say much about that, but AFAIK it's pretty great.
Dark Souls III: Have yet to play that (shouldn't have sold my controller). But it's Dark Souls, aside from some glitched they never really do much wrong.
Uncharted 4: Again, console game.
Bayonette: That's not even recent at all. Seems like one of the rare decent ports though.
Resident Evil 7 and Outlast 2: Also pretty good games.
The Division: That one...that one is pretty bad and generic. The story may be ok (I am not much into story telling games myself anyway), but in terms of gameplay it's pretty darn generic. They should have ditched the RPG part. At least I got it for free, got extremely boring after like 10h tho.

Anyway, a ton of AAA games (BF and CoD are just prime examples of generic releases that happen rather frequently, generally Ubisoft, EA and Activision are the 3 big ones there...) simply disappoint in innovation or are performance wise in a state where you'd call it Early Access. Remember, you're paying about 60€ on release for a recent AAA game. Price/value wise, this was never worth what Early Access can offer me. And I am not even that old, I grew up with stuff like BF1942 (which actually was pretty fun back then).
Hell, I've got games for 5€ (sale) that entertained me longer than a handful of recent (recent meaning anything within the past 7 years) AAA games together. Even Astroneer in it's current (and pretty bare) state still managed to keep my running for ~50h. A recent personal example: Dead Rising 3. Yes, that one's already a few years old. Putting aside that it's a rather bad PC port (performance and control wise), within 15h I completed the main story, got the max. level and completed the majority of side quests. 15 hours. If you would have bought hat game on release, that would have been about 60€ (I got it for ~10€ in a bundle). Can't say the story of this game is even close to being actually interesting, but it's still content. I enjoyed the game, but it's too short. Same happened to me with other AAA titles I tried. Rarely any non-PvP AAA game can keep your busy for too long with content alone.

Anyway, I am not saying AAA is bad as whole, but it has become something that...it's not used to be. The studios are running out of ideas, thus just taking something they already and make another game with that, then selling it for 60€ on release while offering season passes for insane prices etc (Evolve was pretty much the prime example for this kind of thing, though at least they offered something relatively new).
This kind of thing is what has made AAA something I am personally not longer interested in. Meanwhile Early Access pops up with new ideas around every corner. Not counting the the hilarious amounts of survival MP games, which are mostly all the same anyway.
The only issue that remains is what OP is concerned about: Development time. Though in reality, is it an issue? AAA studious are (usually) developing their games behind shut doors, then release it to the public when it's done. Makes the wait for content seem short, since you're actually just waiting for the game to release at all, leaving no reason to complain about a slow development...because you don't even have access to the game yet. But at least we can play the game as early as possible. B|

Seems off-topic, but it's still about Astroneer's development speed, just with a lot of examples. :P
I apologize if someone feels offended by that in any way. That's not my intention.

50 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Street Fighter: Not my genre anyway, got no information about that.
Overwatch: That's blizzard, you're picking a competent studio there.
Dishonored 2: Still bad performance issues up to today. Otherwise great game, as it's prequel.
Persona 5: A console game, as such I can't say much about that, but AFAIK it's pretty great.
Dark Souls III: Have yet to play that (shouldn't have sold my controller). But it's Dark Souls, aside from some glitched they never really do much wrong.
Uncharted 4: Again, console game.
Bayonette: That's not even recent at all. Seems like one of the rare decent ports though.
Resident Evil 7 and Outlast 2: Also pretty good games.
The Division: That one...that one is pretty bad and generic. The story may be ok (I am not much into story telling games myself anyway), but in terms of gameplay it's pretty darn generic. They should have ditched the RPG part. At least I got it for free, got extremely boring after like 10h tho.

Anyway, a ton of AAA games (BF and CoD are just prime examples of generic releases that happen rather frequently, generally Ubisoft, EA and Activision are the 3 big ones there...) simply disappoint in innovation or are performance wise in a state where you'd call it Early Access. Remember, you're paying about 60€ on release for a recent AAA game. Price/value wise, this was never worth what Early Access can offer me. And I am not even that old, I grew up with stuff like BF1942 (which actually was pretty fun back then).
Hell, I've got games for 5€ (sale) that entertained me longer than a handful of recent (recent meaning anything within the past 7 years) AAA games together. Even Astroneer in it's current (and pretty bare) state still managed to keep my running for ~50h. A recent personal example: Dead Rising 3. Yes, that one's already a few years old. Putting aside that it's a rather bad PC port (performance and control wise), within 15h I completed the main story, got the max. level and completed the majority of side quests. 15 hours. If you would have bought hat game on release, that would have been about 60€ (I got it for ~10€ in a bundle). Can't say the story of this game is even close to being actually interesting, but it's still content. I enjoyed the game, but it's too short. Same happened to me with other AAA titles I tried. Rarely any non-PvP AAA game can keep your busy for too long with content alone.

Anyway, I am not saying AAA is bad as whole, but it has become something that...it's not used to be. The studios are running out of ideas, thus just taking something they already and make another game with that, then selling it for 60€ on release while offering season passes for insane prices etc (Evolve was pretty much the prime example for this kind of thing, though at least they offered something relatively new).
This kind of thing is what has made AAA something I am personally not longer interested in. Meanwhile Early Access pops up with new ideas around every corner. Not counting the the hilarious amounts of survival MP games, which are mostly all the same anyway.
The only issue that remains is what OP is concerned about: Development time. Though in reality, is it an issue? AAA studious are (usually) developing their games behind shut doors, then release it to the public when it's done. Makes the wait for content seem short, since you're actually just waiting for the game to release at all, leaving no reason to complain about a slow development...because you don't even have access to the game yet. But at least we can play the game as early as possible. B|

Seems off-topic, but it's still about Astroneer's development speed, just with a lot of examples. :P
I apologize if someone feels offended by that in any way. That's not my intention.

No I'm not offended but you generalizing Triple A titles tilted me a little yes around 40% of them are just the same as when they first released, not really focusing on changing the dynamic game play or single path story telling but the masses love simplicity and familiar content that's why Triple A games won't change that much E.g. Halo, Cod, Battlefield, blizzard,etc... They might change they way you play story and game play and features but the core game will still be there take Halo for example they took the basic concept of halo tweaked it into a instanced mmorpg grinder with better graphics, loot and dungeons/raid BOOM Destiny is born I have no doubt in my mind Cod and Battlefield will do something the same..Like this game it seems a lot like Star Citizen but with a  few tweaks simpleminded graphics (which I love don't get wrong) and a terrain tool. Innovation is keeping old game concepts alive IMHO. I have been playing games ever since pac man first come out, and what game devs are FINALLY realizing is that you either innovate your games to bring a new feel/feature/genre to it to keep it alive. At the end of the day I just want to play Astroneer with my friends I don't care about new terrain or new features or anything like that I love how the core game is right now, it's just the bugs that keep me and my friends from fully spending every waking moment in this game creating / demolishing worlds together, and with releasing a early access yea its good sure to get more money in and to help fund the development in the game...but if you think about it how are they going to sustain this development? There sales are going down as time passes on and I assume the game near FULL release will have everything fixed (hopefully) and a hole bunch of new stuff yea everyone will play it again but where is the sustainability in income for the devs after all this is a JOB for them not a side hobby how will they keep getting paid if by release of this game everyone already has it?  How will this even reach release if the funds all dry up? I am scared for this game because I love it so much. Do you understand what I am saying?

I do not think that we must be worried about Astroneer having not enough funding. Let's do some maths:

In January, Astroneer had sold more than 500,000 copies alone on Steam. Currently, steamspy reports over 700,000 owners of Astroneer on Steam. This is not taking into account the sales on the Windows Store or for XBox One. So let's go with 500,000 copies for this calculation.

The game's price on Steam ranges from under US$ 9 to over US$ 22, depending on the country where the purchase is made. Steam also takes a share from the sales, so let's assume that SES got US$ 15 fom each sold copy of the game.

I have no idea what it costs to employ someone in the USA, but let's assume that each team member costs US$ 150,000 per year. That amount comprises the actual salary, taxes, insurances, etc.

Currently, the team at System Era consists of 12 members, and they intend to hire three more. Let's add another imaginary member to cover further costs like rents, heating, electricity, etc. That gets us to a total of 16 team members.

Now let's put together these numbers: 500,000 sold copies for US$ 15 each amounts to an income of US$ 7,500,000. 16 team members (including that "other costs member") costing US$ 150,000 per year sums up to US$ 2,400,000 per year. As a result, with these assumptions, SES can fund a development time of 3 years and a little more than 1 month.

7 hours ago, Marck said:

I do not think that we must be worried about Astroneer having not enough funding. Let's do some maths:

In January, Astroneer had sold more than 500,000 copies alone on Steam. Currently, steamspy reports over 700,000 owners of Astroneer on Steam. This is not taking into account the sales on the Windows Store or for XBox One. So let's go with 500,000 copies for this calculation.

The game's price on Steam ranges from under US$ 9 to over US$ 22, depending on the country where the purchase is made. Steam also takes a share from the sales, so let's assume that SES got US$ 15 fom each sold copy of the game.

I have no idea what it costs to employ someone in the USA, but let's assume that each team member costs US$ 150,000 per year. That amount comprises the actual salary, taxes, insurances, etc.

Currently, the team at System Era consists of 12 members, and they intend to hire three more. Let's add another imaginary member to cover further costs like rents, heating, electricity, etc. That gets us to a total of 16 team members.

Now let's put together these numbers: 500,000 sold copies for US$ 15 each amounts to an income of US$ 7,500,000. 16 team members (including that "other costs member") costing US$ 150,000 per year sums up to US$ 2,400,000 per year. As a result, with these assumptions, SES can fund a development time of 3 years and a little more than 1 month.

Thanks for putting in the hard work. This puts my mind on ease :P.