GSRTrent

Game Performance Progress

Hey guys.  So I played this game a lot when it was first released to us and, if any of you remember, in the beginning there were a lot of performance issues.  The major issue was FPS loss after playing the game for hours.  Among other things this turned me off from the game.  I told myself I would wait to play it again until these issues were fixed so I haven't played since.  My question is... how is the game now compared to the beginning?  How is the FPS loss?  Is it still there?  Is it fixed?  I know I could just log on and try it myself but I figured I would just ask the community instead playing for hours and fining out nothing has changed.  Thanks guys!

Well one question for you off the bat, is if you're playing on steam or on Xbox one? From my experience since I just played for a bit yesterday on my one and only save on Xbox one, is the fps frame rate has improved quite a lot. Although I have not ventured off to any other planets let alone even leaving Terran at all the lag is little to none. I also pick up my tethers from everywhere except my giant underground labyrinth. Those are the ones that stay where I put them. Otherwise I pick up my tethers so I don't have a chance of those becoming a problem. I don't plan on going to any other planets because I've researched almost everything and have about 10 medium batteries attached to my base. And pretty much no lag still! From my experience though, I don't think I will be traveling to any other planet because every other time before my game has started to lag from that point when I leave Terran. I've got everything I need at home and will customize everything there to my liking until the next patch. Good luck! Have a go at Astroneer just don't be surprised at the sh***y research algorithm cuz it pretty much flat out sucks. 

Thanks for your reply.  I play on steam.  1070 GPU, i5 6600k CPU etc.  

Edited by GSRTrent

The more you explore, the more you lag. it's as simple as that. I have saves that are unplayable even just exploring Terran. If you can get off Terran to another world really early without exploring much, you can have a good explore of some of the other planets, but sooner or later, lag will claim your game. They have worked on optimising things, and they still are with terrain 2.0.

btw, Steam also, 970GPU, I56600k 16GB  ;)

Ok thanks.  Looks like I'll hold off on playing for a while again. haha

5 hours ago, GSRTrent said:

Ok thanks.  Looks like I'll hold off on playing for a while again. haha

oh don't get me wrong, you can explore for a while, and it's still good.

I'm just waiting for the shinies in the next patch :D

On 7/13/2017 at 4:06 PM, Vicomt said:

By explore, do you mean while placing tethers for a long distance or just by roaming around in general 

Don't blame the tethers.  My current save didn't slow after hundreds of them going in every direction from my base.  It was fine until I got my shuttle and started hopping around Terran, collecting chests.  No new tethers, but with each new landing site the game slowed a little.  I'm watching for Terrain 2.0, to see what effect that has.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:32 PM, rileya_c said:

By explore, do you mean while placing tethers for a long distance or just by roaming around in general 

No, tethers are pretty good these days, I've had massive networks without any serious slowdown.

the more of Terran that has clouds on it, the slower the game.

Edited by Vicomt

On 7/13/2017 at 6:06 PM, Vicomt said:

What do you mean by shinies and when is the next patch expected? 

Wow this forum has really died down since the beginning.

Well, the next patch has dropped, and the new item is certainly shiny ;)

and this forum's ALWAYS been quiet. I actually think it's picked up over the past few weeks.

What bothers me, is the missing progress of development. The constantly fps-loss over time is a problem since launch. After 8 months of development, no real improvements so far. The more you build (especially with tethers) and the more planets you visit, the worse the fps drops get.

I started with 60 fps locked and am now around 32fps. By the way, the GPU load is only @40% and my CPU is @60% load. So, it seems to be a problem with database and terrain shaping over time. After several hours, the only way to get a smooth gaming experience is to start over from the beginning.

I like the vlogs and the "transparency" System Era is trying to point out - but development of core features (performance, playability over time) are non existent. The patches only have minor, no significant changes. Astroneer plays the same like at the beginning of the year. Maybe we will see yet another Early Access title, that will take ages to get to Alpha/Beta or just die in development hell.

Disappointed.

Edited by Tepnox

I've played on Xboxes since the original. I have 15 years on Xbox live.

I'm sure that a lot of the lag is caused by too much ground foliage and too many rocks on the terrain.

There is a magnificent pop-in on the rocks and foliage as well. Also, caves suddenly appear and swallow your rover.

Reducing the foliage and rocks would reduce lag, IMO. There is a lot of unneeded ground cover.

It's not so much the ground cover it's the fact the game stores more and more info as you build and it chokes the system.  They need to have a way that the game only pulls in the info as it's needed and not hold on to it all at once. 

Just checking back in after a few more months on the games progress.... Has performance been increased?  Bug fixes been sent out?  I've been itching to get into this game just want to see if it's going to perform well.

Game performance for Xbox one has increased substantially and that’s where the most problems were coming from was Xbox one. Xbox is the only platform I have played for Astroneer and right now the only complaints I have about the game are the research aspects and how everything gets unlocked. Once I’ve got the research for oxygen tanks, I go back and pick up most or all of my tethers just to keep the lag down if there is any. But since your July post the lag has decreased and the overall quality of how the game is played is a whole lot better. I suggest you get started playing and learning about Astroneer because with every patch it’s a little bit different. And from before and after the excavation update the game changed quite a whole lot. It’s a great game and one of the only ones that I play at the moment. For people who haven’t played Astroneer I feel very bad for them 

They mentioned in the Twitch stream yesterday that they’d worked on more optimisations this week. It might not make it in the next release but there will be more and more improvements coming.

Well I just logged on for the first time in about 8 months and I can say the game performance has increased a lot.  Last night I was getting near 200 FPS with an average of around 150 FPS.  Back when the game first came out I was lagging out near 30 FPS after I built a larger base.  This doesn't seem to be the case anymore, which is nice.  I may start playing a little more now seeing that performance has improved. 

14 hours ago, mikk said:

Performance didn't improve, you should wait for the next update in 1-2 weeks.

It has improved quite a bit.  See above post.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, rileya_c said:

Game performance for Xbox one has increased substantially and that’s where the most problems were coming from was Xbox one. Xbox is the only platform I have played for Astroneer and right now the only complaints I have about the game are the research aspects and how everything gets unlocked. Once I’ve got the research for oxygen tanks, I go back and pick up most or all of my tethers just to keep the lag down if there is any. But since your July post the lag has decreased and the overall quality of how the game is played is a whole lot better. I suggest you get started playing and learning about Astroneer because with every patch it’s a little bit different. And from before and after the excavation update the game changed quite a whole lot. It’s a great game and one of the only ones that I play at the moment. For people who haven’t played Astroneer I feel very bad for them 

Game performance didn't improve since April with patch 153. So in fact the correct answer is no it did not improve since July. With the content update this month we could hope that there is some improvement in this regards there.

14 hours ago, mikk said:

Game performance didn't improve since April with patch 153. So in fact the correct answer is no it did not improve since July. With the content update this month we could hope that there is some improvement in this regards there.

I haven't played since like February so I saw a huge performance increase when I logged on the other day.  

Because it did improve from February up to now. When you ask from July (you thread start date) then the answer is no it did not improve. There where some huge performance increases earlier this year until April with v153:

Save 1/Save2

V125/V131/V153

30 fps/44 fps/81 fps

43 fps/90 fps/112 fps

3 hours ago, GSRTrent said:

I haven't played since like February so I saw a huge performance increase when I logged on the other day.  

It doesn’t really matter when or where the performance increased it only matters that st this point in time it’s better than it was a year ago and it continues to get better. People who quit playing a long time ago due to performance issues should play and get their first hand look at how it’s better now. Also there was a big update with the excavation update and should learn about it before the next big update supposedly coming on Dec 16th. 

8 hours ago, rileya_c said:

It doesn’t really matter when or where the performance increased

Yes if course it matters in context of the question of GSRTrent. As I said the correct answer is it did not improve. If he is asking how the performance went from launch up to now game he should make it clear. He started the thread in July obviously. In the last couple of months there wasn't any performance improvements made to the game which has been confirmed in the latest dev stream as well by the way.