This game is great. If the devs stopped supporting the game and left it the way it currently is, I would still be playing this game in a year. The fact that they are still developing it is, to me, icing on the cake. This is the way I felt about Minecraft when I bought into it at pre-alpha. I ended up running a Minecraft server for several years because I wanted a multi-player experience.

I'm now sort of wondering if there's dedicated server software for Astroneer, and what it takes to run.

11 hours ago, biz.woggie said:

I'm now sort of wondering if there's dedicated server software for Astroneer, and what it takes to run.

In one of the recent patches they started adding some of the backend stuff it would take to support dedicated servers. 

19 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

In one of the recent patches they started adding some of the backend stuff it would take to support dedicated servers. 

Well, that sounds nifty. I take it that stuff isn't completely functional now?

I mean, if I go to http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

and query with them, does that tell me approximately how many people I can host in Astroneer? THAT'S what I want to know.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, erikinthebakery said:

Games are a "little" more complex than they were back when they made DOOM.

Also, keep in mind we all chose to pay money for a buggy, partial game so early in its development they are still working out how the core systems work. We are reminded of this with a splash screen every single time we load a world. If you aren't happy about that, then your bad... not theirs.

This thread needs to go dormant for awhile, but will respond to above:

1) Doom was cutting edge at the time. Remember this is the era of Desert Storm, VHS, The Simpsons was in its 3rd season...

2) I didn't say I am not happy or regret paying money.

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Doom was cutting edge at the time

Indeed it was :). And John Carmack was an absolutely brilliant coder.

It was also made for that era of machines, which had absolutely crippling limitations. The design, artwork, sound, and code complexity of today's games are far beyond anything that early machines could handle. Things are quite a bit different today.