I have a pit full of these items that are actually unusable in the game. Why so many? Why not change it for building new facilities. I spend hours chasing down tech items only to find they give me filters and power cells much more than I actually need. Change the program to allow more and quicker building of the base and less of these in-needed items. Frustrating to go out and spend a lot of time uncovering and finding tech goodies only to have them researched into cells or filters of which I have far too many of.

That makes the game fun and promotes exploration, if you got a usable thing every time you researched, there would be no challenge, and the game would get boring very quickly. Your problem is that you obviously aren't up for an exploration game that is challenging, plus these items can be very useful when exploring temporary bases on other planets.

The filters are a waste of time.  There's not any real purpose for them, now that you can make an air tank out of compound.  I do use the power cells eventually, usually to help quick-recharge a fuel condenser, but I'd rather just get a chunk of compound out of the chest than a filter.  Compound at least is useful.

Edited by Indomitus1973
1 minute ago, Indomitus1973 said:

The filters are a waste of time.  There's not any real purpose for them, now that you can make an air tank out of compound.  I do use the power cells eventually, usually to help quick-recharge a fuel condenser, but I'd rather just get a chunk of compound out of the chest than a filter.

Filters are nice to have as an option, if you are not near an oxygen source and don't want to suffocate. They've saved me a couple times when things don't go according to plans.

1 compound = 1 filter

1 compound = a pack of tethers

1 compound = 1 air tank

You're better off with the air tank or tethers.  A single-use item isn't worth taking up backpack space "just in case".

Edited by Indomitus1973

Personally I think getting a powercell or filter out of a Chest/Nut/Berry is Ignorant.... I can totally see any raw resource as making sense, after all like Idomitus1973 said the material is useful in so many ways.  I just have to remember the game has some Quirks and in someone's mind this makes sense even if it drives me bonkers.  Its one of my little Pet Peeves  like Hematite being the same color as Titanium....Duh?  and Copper being almost the same color as Aluminum...Ah...Change the shape..... When in another post people are upset about not seeing progress little things like these could go a long way to showing that the company is listening.

Edited by KeeblerOrc
16 hours ago, Indomitus1973 said:

1 compound = 1 filter

1 compound = a pack of tethers

1 compound = 1 air tank

You're better off with the air tank or tethers.  A single-use item isn't worth taking up backpack space "just in case".

The important difference is that power cells and filters are produced charged or filled, whereas batteries and oxygen tanks need to be filled first before they are useful. Out in the field, this can help you survive, when you are carrying compound with you "just in case".

However, I do agree that getting filters out of research is pretty pointless. Instead of taking a filter with me, I would use an oxygen tank.

2 hours ago, Marck said:

The important difference is that power cells and filters are produced charged or filled, whereas batteries and oxygen tanks need to be filled first before they are useful. Out in the field, this can help you survive, when you are carrying compound with you "just in case".

However, I do agree that getting filters out of research is pretty pointless. Instead of taking a filter with me, I would use an oxygen tank.

Agreed, on both points

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2017 at 7:36 PM, Marck said:

I agree on both points made here. You can actually travel quite far with a few Oxygen Tanks and a Filter or two. Just wait until you main Tank is at 25%, then create the Filter. It will not only save you from suffocating, but will REFILL up to 8 Oxygen Tanks (including your internal Oxygen Tank), basically allowing you to travel twice as far without having to having to refill at a Hab or vehicle. It helps if you can find a Compound Node early on, which basicly gives you unlimited Compound (three nuggets max at a time), so that you can replace any compound you use up.

With vehicles not being as stable at the moment, this is how I explore far from my base. I take two Oxygen Tanks plus a nugget of compound, with my backpack printer set to create Filters. As soon as I hit 25% I create a Filter, allowing me to keep going. Of course, I also have a nugget of Compound for the journey back, too.

The two things I don't like right now is that you can no longer attach Oxygen Tanks to the top of your backpack, and the fact that you can find Filters and Powercells inside resource Artefacts. Better to just get Compound (which you can turn into whatever you actually need) rather than something fixed.

Edited by Ghostwolf93
Correcting an auto-correction.